1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Solutions for installing tracks on bed cap (installer said now way)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by littleblue81, May 25, 2014.

1. May 25, 2014 at 2:04 AM
    littleblue81

littleblue81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looking for opinions on installing tracks on bed caps so that I can mount a Yakima Loadwarrior.

I've seen a few threads where people have done this so today I went down to the local Yakima dealer and asked for a quote for items + install. The guy said that because of the bed caps, installing the tracks were not advisable. A few people here have posts using sheet metal screws and he told me that it wasn't a good idea as it would have no strength. He said that he wouldn't do it because he will not install on a customers car anything he wouldn't do to his own.

Is there any way to do this properly without having to remove the caps permanently?

I cannot use the bed rail system as I have a tonneau cover and I want to keep it fully operational with the basket on. Please help.

Here is a photo from another thread here with exactly what I want to accomplish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/263630-bed-basket-hi-lift-mounted.html

2. May 25, 2014 at 5:03 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    Why not install Rivnuts under the caps then drill matching holes in the caps?

3. May 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    littleblue81

Member:
    They guy at the shop said that it wouldn't work because of the gap between the bed and the bed cap.

Has anyone done this with rivnuts while keeping the bed cap on? I've seen one or two who have removed the bed cap and rhino lined the bed tops. Which is not something I want to do.

4. May 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    Bigbenny

Bigbenny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    ProComp 3" lift
    I did mine without removing the bed caps. Have had the ski box on through the winter including some driving in blizzards, bumpy mountain roads, etc.

No problems to date.

5. May 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    littleblue81

Member:

Thanks. What did you use to do the install?

6. May 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    Bigbenny

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    ProComp 3" lift
    used the yakima rails and I think they were called plus nuts but basically allowed you to drill the hole and they expand behind the rail when you tighten the fasteners.

I made sure to apply a great deal of downward pressure while tightening to ensure they were firmly seated.

7. May 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    littleblue81

Member:

Great. I think thats what the guy said he wanted to use. So there is no issue with the bed cap at all? Im wondering why he was so concerned. He was talking about the space between the bed and cap. The cap doesn't compress or anything like that after you bolt the rail down to it?

8. May 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    Bigbenny

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    ProComp 3" lift
    not that I can tell. He might have been worried that the plus nuts wouldn't make it through to the metal rail and might expand in the space in between. If this happened only the plastic cap would be holding your rack

9. May 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    Earle

Earle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Earle
    Huntville, AL
    Vehicle:
    11 double cab
    I parked near a Tundra the other day in Costco's parking lot. He had installed an aluminum cap on top of the rails, which would work with your Yakima. Then he'd drilled through and installed eye bolts all the way through. (One bolt had missed and I could see the bolt shaft and nut.) You wouldn't need the eyes, of course, but you could tack the cap down with about three flat head bolts. I wished I'd had the time to wait around for him. Apparently there's enough metal under there to hold a bolt...

10. May 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    There is nothing but sheet metal under the bed rail caps

11. May 25, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Looks like this

[​IMG]

Look up XXXX thread on reinforcing the bed cap for some more info

12. May 25, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top