1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunk noise of small ledged bumps. CV's or sway bar end links?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fabulous, May 26, 2014.

1. May 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Hey ya'll, I have developed a clunk on my passenger side in the last couple weeks that is driving me nuts! It only seems to happen on ledged bumps like potholes, speed bumps, and recessed manhole lids.

Yesterday I spent about 4 hours going over every nut and bolt on my front and rear suspension, cab mounts, front bumper, etc. Checked for movement in all the ball joints, re-torqued the LCA bolts to 100 ld/ft, everything! I've gone through countless threads since trying to figure this thing out.

I've come to the conclusion that it's gotta be either the end links on my sway bar, even though they seem to be solid, or my CV's, which I also checked. The CV's seem to have a little play back and forth, and up/ down (about 1/4 cm or so) which I thought may be the issue, but other threads I read stated this is normal?!

I'm at a loss as to what is could be...anyone have any other ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

1st_rodeo likes this.
  2. May 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Nobody?

3. May 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Noises are notoriously hard to diagnose. Someone might jump on here with what the noise ultimately turned out to be on their truck - and it might end up being something else on yours.

You might try getting hold of a "Chassis Ear" listening device and place the microphones at different spots and see if that helps you narrow it down. I haven't actually used one, but was tempted when I had a hard-to-diagnose noise.

My personal "weird-non-diagnosable-front-end-clunk" went away when I removed and reinstalled the lower control arms. I was thinking I was gonna need to replace the bushings in the arms, but it turned out the simple act of taking them off and putting them back on relieved whatever weird bound up pressure (probably lift induced) was causing the clunk.

1st_rodeo likes this.
  4. May 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I had all my lower control arm bushings replaced with new ones like 3.5-4 years ago (less than 30k kms), and the shop put in anti sieze with install right after I installed my lift because they were siezed.

I'm gonna try some other stuff I read about, like checking where the air intake goes through the fender. I changed my spark plugs about a month ago, and maybe the foam is dislodged, and that is where the noise is?!

I'll also remove the sway bar and see if that makes a difference. If so, and I need to buy some new end links, does anyone recommend a place to get good ones for a fair price that ships to Canada? Couldn't find any on eBay.

If it's not those, then it's gotta be the CV. That is the only other thing I can think of...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. May 27, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    bump...

6. May 27, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    Burntorange817

Burntorange817 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 A/C TX Pro
    Brute Force hybrid, Pelfreybilt rear w/ swingout, allpro sliders, icon 2.5 extended travel coilovers w/ Icon UCAs, OME rear shocks w/ full Dakar leafs, Leer topper w/ Rhino Rack and 6' awning, 285/75/16 KO2s
    I had a similar noise as well, it was my sway bar contacting the seat of my coilover. swaybar relocate fixed it

1st_rodeo likes this.
  7. May 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    Wear of the uniball ball joint?

8. May 27, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I checked the coilover to sway bar area, and couldn't see anything. There seems to be plenty of room between the 5100/ Eibach set up I have.

Upper and lower ball joints have been checked and seem tighter than a nuns you know what. Same with tie end rods, and the sway bar end links. I read that some people checked the end links, and they seemed fine, but were still creaking, and after replacement the noise went away.

I checked my airbox yesterday to make sure it wasn't knowking around in the fender, and it was 100%.

Any little noise annoys me, and now I'm paranoid about something breaking while I'm on a long trip or something...

9. May 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    You keep bumping the thread but have you tried this very good suggestion yet?

It's a good test for both sway bar link ends and sway bar contacting coilover assembly. If taking off the swaybar makes the noise go away - you've narrowed it down to one of those two - which are considerably easier to solve than swapping your CVs.

10. May 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    ^I plan on it, but weather and time haven't allowed.

11. May 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    ajwhlr04

ajwhlr04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab 6MT
    I also have a clunk when going over speed bumps, pot holes, etc - usually at less than 5mph. It seems to be coming from the rear end, but can't figure out which side.

My truck is all stock right now, and I'm thinking it might be the ends of the stock leafs banging around since they're so flimsy - not really sure. I've been under there a few times banging on things trying to narrow it down, but no luck so far. Nothing is broken though so I've been letting it ride.

I'm considering upgrading the suspension all around. If I ever get time to do it, we'll see if the noise goes away.

1st_rodeo likes this.
  12. May 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    darektylka

darektylka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darek
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Same noise here. I'm lifted 3", going to check my sway bar first and go from there.

13. May 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Could it be your steering wheel column? Mine has a bit of play/clunk when I hit a small ridge coming out of my office parking lot.

14. May 29, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    ^ I already checked the steering column, and that's not what it is. I also did the DIY zip tie through the open space a while ago, and it's snug as a bug through there.

I'll disconnect the sway bar tomorrow on my day off, and see if that's what it is. If not, maybe I'm looking at a new CV or something, who knows.

15. May 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    scrappletaco

scrappletaco Damn Deer and Idoit Drivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsport PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 reg cab 4x4, Debadged and dirty
    Debadged, Removed Charcoal filter
    Same noise sounds like its coming from the front passanger on my 2011. All ball joints and such check out. I did notice that my strut is leaking and have pretty much narrowed it down to that being the culprit. I hope so

16. May 29, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    devkurf

devkurf Member at Large

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    I may be wrong, but I think the lower steering shaft can still rattle even after the zip tie fix. It would be between the floorboard and the rack. If you get under the truck and have someone jiggle the steering wheel (with the truck OFF) you should be able to hear/feel play there. Any play could cause a knock over bumps and such. I'm pretty sure mine does this, but I havent got around to checking it yet.

17. May 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    ^checked that as well, all tight.

18. May 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    jmich2001

jmich2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Toms River, NJ
    Vehicle:
    12 Access Cab TRD OR
    Yellow Fog Lamps, Ham Radio
    Do you have a trailer hitch in your receiver? I had a similar clunk that went away when I removed the hitch. It was interesting how the noise traveled thru the frame when I hit bumps. Just a thought.

19. May 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Do have one, and have the hitch out right now. I wish it was that easy. Thanks for your help though.

20. May 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    I had a clunk going over bumps particularly when turning, like leaving the bottom of the driveway. Searched on here and found it to be the lower control arm bolts after I had the truck aligned. Retorqued them to the proper specs and poof gone. I will see if I can find the link. I dont remember off hand the torque specs.

1st_rodeo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top