Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clunk noise of small ledged bumps. CV's or sway bar end links?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Clunk noise of small ledged bumps. CV's or sway bar end links?

Hey ya'll, I have developed a clunk on my passenger side in the last couple weeks that is driving me nuts! It only seems to happen on ledged bumps like potholes, speed bumps, and recessed manhole lids.

Yesterday I spent about 4 hours going over every nut and bolt on my front and rear suspension, cab mounts, front bumper, etc. Checked for movement in all the ball joints, re-torqued the LCA bolts to 100 ld/ft, everything! I've gone through countless threads since trying to figure this thing out.

I've come to the conclusion that it's gotta be either the end links on my sway bar, even though they seem to be solid, or my CV's, which I also checked. The CV's seem to have a little play back and forth, and up/ down (about 1/4 cm or so) which I thought may be the issue, but other threads I read stated this is normal?!

I'm at a loss as to what is could be...anyone have any other ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Why not take your sway bar off, and see if it goes away. Take it easy around corners as there will be more body roll.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Noises are notoriously hard to diagnose. Someone might jump on here with what the noise ultimately turned out to be on their truck - and it might end up being something else on yours.

You might try getting hold of a "Chassis Ear" listening device and place the microphones at different spots and see if that helps you narrow it down. I haven't actually used one, but was tempted when I had a hard-to-diagnose noise.

My personal "weird-non-diagnosable-front-end-clunk" went away when I removed and reinstalled the lower control arms. I was thinking I was gonna need to replace the bushings in the arms, but it turned out the simple act of taking them off and putting them back on relieved whatever weird bound up pressure (probably lift induced) was causing the clunk.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I had all my lower control arm bushings replaced with new ones like 3.5-4 years ago (less than 30k kms), and the shop put in anti sieze with install right after I installed my lift because they were siezed.

I'm gonna try some other stuff I read about, like checking where the air intake goes through the fender. I changed my spark plugs about a month ago, and maybe the foam is dislodged, and that is where the noise is?!

I'll also remove the sway bar and see if that makes a difference. If so, and I need to buy some new end links, does anyone recommend a place to get good ones for a fair price that ships to Canada? Couldn't find any on eBay.

If it's not those, then it's gotta be the CV. That is the only other thing I can think of...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Burntorange817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Logan
Burntorange817's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar noise as well, it was my sway bar contacting the seat of my coilover. swaybar relocate fixed it
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

I checked the coilover to sway bar area, and couldn't see anything. There seems to be plenty of room between the 5100/ Eibach set up I have.

Upper and lower ball joints have been checked and seem tighter than a nuns you know what. Same with tie end rods, and the sway bar end links. I read that some people checked the end links, and they seemed fine, but were still creaking, and after replacement the noise went away.

I checked my airbox yesterday to make sure it wasn't knowking around in the fender, and it was 100%.

Any little noise annoys me, and now I'm paranoid about something breaking while I'm on a long trip or something...
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Why not take your sway bar off, and see if it goes away. Take it easy around corners as there will be more body roll.
You keep bumping the thread but have you tried this very good suggestion yet?

It's a good test for both sway bar link ends and sway bar contacting coilover assembly. If taking off the swaybar makes the noise go away - you've narrowed it down to one of those two - which are considerably easier to solve than swapping your CVs.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

^I plan on it, but weather and time haven't allowed.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
ajwhlr04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
ajwhlr04's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a clunk when going over speed bumps, pot holes, etc - usually at less than 5mph. It seems to be coming from the rear end, but can't figure out which side.

My truck is all stock right now, and I'm thinking it might be the ends of the stock leafs banging around since they're so flimsy - not really sure. I've been under there a few times banging on things trying to narrow it down, but no luck so far. Nothing is broken though so I've been letting it ride.

I'm considering upgrading the suspension all around. If I ever get time to do it, we'll see if the noise goes away.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
darektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to behold
Name: Darek
darektylka's Tacoma Gallery
Same noise here. I'm lifted 3", going to check my sway bar first and go from there.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
jaymac10 is on a distinguished road

jaymac10's Tacoma Gallery
Could it be your steering wheel column? Mine has a bit of play/clunk when I hit a small ridge coming out of my office parking lot.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #15

^ I already checked the steering column, and that's not what it is. I also did the DIY zip tie through the open space a while ago, and it's snug as a bug through there.

I'll disconnect the sway bar tomorrow on my day off, and see if that's what it is. If not, maybe I'm looking at a new CV or something, who knows.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
just grabbin gears
scrappletaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 779th Med Group
Name: Josh
scrappletaco's Tacoma Gallery
Same noise sounds like its coming from the front passanger on my 2011. All ball joints and such check out. I did notice that my strut is leaking and have pretty much narrowed it down to that being the culprit. I hope so
Old 05-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
devkurf will become famous soon enough

devkurf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
^ I already checked the steering column, and that's not what it is. I also did the DIY zip tie through the open space a while ago, and it's snug as a bug through there.

I'll disconnect the sway bar tomorrow on my day off, and see if that's what it is. If not, maybe I'm looking at a new CV or something, who knows.
I may be wrong, but I think the lower steering shaft can still rattle even after the zip tie fix. It would be between the floorboard and the rack. If you get under the truck and have someone jiggle the steering wheel (with the truck OFF) you should be able to hear/feel play there. Any play could cause a knock over bumps and such. I'm pretty sure mine does this, but I havent got around to checking it yet.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #18

^checked that as well, all tight.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
jmich2001 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
jmich2001's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a trailer hitch in your receiver? I had a similar clunk that went away when I removed the hitch. It was interesting how the noise traveled thru the frame when I hit bumps. Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #20

Do have one, and have the hitch out right now. I wish it was that easy. Thanks for your help though.