1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

This is what $18K worth of damage looks like.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mtnmedic, May 27, 2014.

1. May 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    mtnmedic

mtnmedic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD Offroad
    20140430_203051_zpsc64511cd_bf3ab3458463ee2fafae69544feccf42d014ae78.jpg

20140430_203043_zps7dac06f4_b58b4e534066c6fbc6b7fb16ec443fcad7f6bbbf.jpg

Not very impressive.

Quick story. Sitting at a red light. Dude in a Nissan Lego car comes flying up and hits me without even touching the brakes, probably going about 30mph. He wedges under my bumper and pushes me through the light because hes still on the gas. Finally he stops and I managed not to hit anyone else. Hes.... not sober, shall we say. Goes to the ER and then to jail. Truck was drivable but the bumper bent up under neither along with the tow bar. The bed is warped and the rear panels bowed out just a little.

Takes his insurance company 3 weeks to decide they would except responsibility. The first shop says they dont have the capability to fix it. Second shop says, "Sure, no problem, but you need a new frame". They write an estimate for $18,000! I figure at that point the insurance would total it but since my truck is only about 6 months old they decide to repair it. So now it will take about 30 days just to get the frame and then 2+ weeks of labor to do the swap. And, the body shop just got the OK to order parts today, a week after I brought it in. So all told this will take 3 months or so to resolve. F*** You State Farm!:mad:

At least Im ok. I do get to drive a pretty kick ass Kia in the mean time....

2. May 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Damn! I would push for total loss.:notsure:

3. May 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    TeeJay505

TeeJay505 Member

Member:
    ABQ
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport SR5
    +1. If one place said a new frame would be best that truck will never be the same. No matter what they do to it you'll always tell a difference.

4. May 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Dude, that really SUCKS. If it was me I might have been tempted to make the guys face look like the front of his car and blame it on him hitting his head when he crashed. :frusty:

At least you're ok.

5. May 27, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    mtnmedic

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD Offroad
    Yeah, looks like the exact same thing. Good to know, Ill keep working on them.

6. May 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Excellent advise!

7. May 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I hope my story may inspire you to fight for what you're due OP...

Several years ago my truck was hit head on by a semi truck (traveling at slow speed maybe 15 MPH) and it messed the truck up pretty bad. About $20K in repairs and took 35 days in the shop.

I required the SYSCO foods insurer to rent me a pickup during that time, I argued that I need a pickup truck in my work and would sue them for lost wages, etc. They rented me a nice 4x4 Nissan quad cab.

Anyway, I also hired an expert in vehicle devaluation (cost $400) and submitted his report to the SYSCO foods insurer. We ended up settling for $7k in lost value. This paid for all my sweet upgrades.

SO the truck is all fixed and has tons of great aftermarket goodies. Sure the front fenders are at different heights (no kidding, they could never get them exactly even again). And the repaint is definitely not as tough as the OEM paint job (I have lots of rock chips)). And a few other complaints, but all-in-all I'm glad I kept the truck and definitely made them pay for the loss.

BTW, vehicle devaluation laws are different state by state so check your states laws. I was luckily hit in Oregon, a pro-consumer state that allows for high vehicle devaluation claims. I see the OP lives in Colorado...

Hyden v. Farmers Ins. Exchange, 20 P.3d 1222 (Colo. App. 2000), the Colorado Court of Appeals held: “When an automobile insurer promises to provide an insured with a vehicle ‘of like kind and quality,’ the insurer must provide the insured, through repair, replacement, and/or compensation, the means of acquiring a vehicle substantially similar in function and value to that which the insured had prior to his or her accident.” See, Heritage Village Owners Ass’n, Inc. v. Golden Heritage Investors, Ltd., 89 P.3d 513 (Colo. App. 2004), where the Court allowed for recovery of diminution in value for damage to real property. Click here for source article.

Cheers!

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  8. May 27, 2014 at 10:58 PM
    Taco-Dazed

Taco-Dazed Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Man so many tacos in accidents lately. Best of luck, i am dealing with an accident too and insurance is draggin ass too.

Hope mine gets totaled too

9. May 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    We were involved in a hit and run a few years ago. They caught the guy, thanks to his vanity plates lol. We didn't even contact his insurance. We went through our insurance (State Farm) got her car fixed in about a 1.5 weeks. State Farm dealt with his insurance. We got the deductible back about a month later.

10. May 28, 2014 at 2:30 AM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    I went thru the same thing with my wife's car, over $14,000 in damage.
    It took over two months to repair, Ins. company was a PITA to deal with.

11. May 28, 2014 at 5:13 AM
    beondwacko

beondwacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08' X-Runner , Sirius radio, fog light mod. Much more to go.
    I may be speaking out of my butt on this one, but from my impression of what I have read from others on this forum who have gone through similar experiences with heavily damaged Tacoma's, others have fought the insurance company's with the valid argument that "It will never be whole again" or "the resale value had been greatly affected due to the research able history of the vehicle". They both hold validity but from my understanding, it's going to be a long prolonged argument, but they have been won before.

It may require the intervention of an attorney which in itself is a PITA but, it's your rights that you are fighting for, your hard earned investment, and your future possible saftey. I would have to really KNOW the shop that would be doing your frame change to have much confidence in the entire repair. Being that in my case, I don't know any shops that well or nearly that well, I'd fight for a replacement being that your truck is so new. My truck being 6.5 years old at this point wouldn't hold water in your argument but yours is a different story.

Good luck with the proceedings. I hope it goes the way you want it to.

Adam

12. May 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    Is that a Cube?
    I hate those things....
    Sorry to hear about all of this OP.

13. May 28, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Probably need to be drunk to choose a car styled like that...

There have been many 1st gen owners who elected to replace their rusted frames in lieu of 150% KBB buyback. It would depend on the extent of the damage to the cab, which is harder to repair. Keep in mind there have been new trucks out of the factory with the bed shifted over from the centerline by 1/4" or so.

14. May 28, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    Hope it all works out for you and that you get your truck back in excellent condition.

I'm not sure if you're serious about the Kia or not. My mind was recently changed about Kia's because my 2nd cousin was raving about their Kia SUV and the bells and whistles. My cousin is very well off (has 2 homes, father invested well, insane amounts of money) so it's kind of surprising that he'd be in a Kia. Said something about his wife getting them a deal or something because of a connection to the dealership.

15. May 28, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    mtnmedic

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD Offroad
    Haha, no, the Kia sucks. But, I've driven it for a week on $10 of gas. Its going to be an up hill battle for sure. I tried to get it totaled the minute I heard they wanted to do a frame swap but they didn't go for it. I then tried to argue that it taking 2 months was not acceptable and his their answer was, "Well, if you had just gone through your own insurance this would have been started already". So there is no love loss here. Im going to get a diminished loss estimate and maybe talk to a lawyer. Thanks for the info fellas!

16. Jun 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    Darrell592

Darrell592 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Okeechobee,Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double CAB TRD Sport
    I had the same thing happen to me replaced the frame 30 day repair my truck was 6 months old got it fixed traded it in on a new 2014 not worth keeping problems one after another.

17. Jun 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    If I drove a Cube I'd probably get drunk and crash it too. But I'd aim for a Prius, since I'm not a dick.

Good luck, OP. Dealing with insurance companies is always such a pain.

18. Jun 4, 2014 at 8:23 AM
    mtnmedic

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD Offroad
    Were you able to trade yours in? I was told by the dealer that sold me mine that they couldn't resell it due to the frame damage so they wouldn't really offer me anything in trade.

Im fighting now to have it totaled but they aren't budging. They maintain it will be fixed to factory standards and wont listen to the argument that it has no resale value even if its been fixed. Im talking to my insurance company today and then to a lawyer. This is such a PIITA!

Anyone know any lawyers in Denver that deal with this kind of thing?

19. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John 14:6
    Orange County, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    The question is after the new frame install who THEN do you go to when there's problems with anything or everything else. They jack up some wiring, line, etc or something similar to that situation that crosses or is close to the frame (you get the point) and then go back and they respond ..."where not mechanics, just a body shop talk to so and so on your end.."..fight for it! stay strong, eye of the tiger. lol

20. Jun 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    ToolFan66

ToolFan66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton CO
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    It sure seems to be a lot of accidents, and stolen Tacomas as of late around here..

Best of luck OP...

Products Discussed in

To Top