Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Coil spacer leveling kit vs 5100s

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
rrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to all

Name: Colton
rrtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Coil spacer leveling kit vs 5100s

I've been looking for a way to level my truck, and be able to fit larger tires. I've ordered a 2.5 daystar leveling kit, but the more I look around the more I see 5100s. I'm considering sending back the daystar and order the 5100s. I was just wondering if anyone has the daystar, and if they like it, or not. If anyone has the 5100s and how they like those....

Thanks Colt
Old 04-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up, spacers are not the greatest type of lift. THey will make the ride harsh and are not good for offroading in any way. I would highly recommend the 5100s. They will give you some lift and a great ride.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
rrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to allrrtaco is a name known to all

rrtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man, Im planing on doing some off roading so I think the 5100s would be a good choice too. Do you know how much the 5100s set on 2.5 will affect the ride, if at all?
Thanks for the help
Old 04-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I personally donot but I would not set them at 2.5 unless you have a lift in the rear (AAL or block). Unless you like the look of the front being slightly higher
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Then that is a perfect set up. Downsouth motordports is giving all TW member a discount on Billy 5100's for both front and rear. All 4 shocks for $388 I belive
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Evans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ty
Evans381's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2.5 Daystar kit and I've had no problems. I do hear a lot of negative things from guys on here talking about how bad spacers are, and I agree IF YOU OFFROAD. However I have a PreRunner and I do not so its cool with me. Also no ride difference to me at all. No vibes or steering wheel play. And for the $100 I paid for it as to the look I got I think its well worth it than spending 250 on some billies.

BTW the Daystar kit is not a coil spacer. Its a top plate
Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. And yes spacers are fine if you don't offroad! thats why i wanted to see what his goals were. In fact if anyone wants my spacers they will be up for sale soon
Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #10

rrtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ya when I first looked at leveling my truck I liked the spacer look. But once I found out there bad for off roading that's when I decided to go with billies.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Evans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ty
Evans381's Tacoma Gallery
Yes totally agree Spacers+Offroad= BAD!! Its common sense really. lol
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Haha ya I actually would love to keep my spacers ($100 vs prob 1K eventually) but offroading does not agree
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 3" RevTek lift and it feels fine with slight-to-moderate off roading in sandy beaches.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
I just got 5100s installed on my 07 Tundra...Love them so far for on road. I will test the off road this weekend. It leveled out my truck. I am sure they are the same for the Taco. Spacer lift will be stiff as it compresses the coil. For $388...get the 5100s, you'll be much happier.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
sbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to all

Name: Scott
sbeau1960's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sbeau1960
5100's are excellent shocks, firm without being harsh. Nice options for lift height, although I wouldn't go with the full 2.5", even though many have and say it works fine.

And they're only $299, not $388....

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Then that is a perfect set up. Downsouth motordports is giving all TW member a discount on Billy 5100's for both front and rear. All 4 shocks for $388 I belive

On ebay DSM has em for $299 Free shipping. (Front and back)

So I wander what the TacomaWorld discount is??
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I was way off originally. That is the PM sonny sent me a bit ago

Quote:
Good evening,
The front and rear Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks are $282.00 Member price and the shipping is free via UPS Ground in the lower 48 states..
If you are located in California there will be sales tax.
Let me know if there is anything that we can help you with...
Thank you,
Sonny
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #18
sbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to all

Name: Scott
sbeau1960's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sbeau1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
On ebay DSM has em for $299 Free shipping. (Front and back)

So I wander what the TacomaWorld discount is??
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ount-code.html
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
I went with 4 wheel parts $357 shipped.... Bilstien makes shocks then they make shocks they discount to places.... like toyota for example and we all know there shit.... Not saying Down south is selling crap, but most every manufacture makes the same part at different specs.. ie John deere... Look at a mower at home depot, then go to a real dealer... night and day quality
Kohler.... crap that doesent meet spec? they sell it under the name sterling and discount it... the list goes on, but they all do it... When I asked Bilstien if they cut corners on the discounted shocks and they had no comment... for me peice of mind was worth 50 bucks
Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #20

rrtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracer View Post
i have the 3" RevTek lift and it feels fine with slight-to-moderate off roading in sandy beaches.
Dont the 3" lifts void the warranty?