1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing park brake cable

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ouyin2000, May 30, 2014.

1. May 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    So I just had my 64,000km service done. Everything still running like clockwork, including the original brake pads all around. The only problem I have is that my park brake cable on both sides is fraying. Dealer quoted around $300 per side to replace! :eek:

Anyways, I was thinking of sourcing the parts somewhere reasonable. Exactly how much work is involved in replacing them? Leaving it be is not an option since my provincial inspection is up in August.

2. May 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    I've never replaced Tacoma's parking brake cables. I've replaced them on my F250 and maybe a Toyota 2wd, it's not a hard job.

3. May 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I'm having a hard time believing that both of your park brake cables are frayed on a 2011 with 64,000 Km. I smell fish, though that might just be due to your geographic location. My question, where are they frayed? The only part of the cables visible with no disassembly is the sheath, and its foam protective cover.

If they do indeed need replacement, you can pull your cupholder upward to access the front of the cables easily on your manual transmission tacoma. Then remove the rear drums to release from the parking brake levers. I bet you could do both cables including adjustments in under an afternoon, and that's if you're racing a sloth.

4. May 30, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    bendawg62

bendawg62 Active Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD / 2013 Tacoma TRD
    I had to replace both of mine at 64000 km also. The aluminum piece that mounts the cable to the backing plate was broken on each side. I couldn't find an aftermarket supplier and had to buy oem cables. They are pretty expensive but they come fairly complete with new hangers etc. They are pretty straight forward to replace and it takes a couple of hours at most to do both sides.
    Jack up the rear end and support it on jack stands. Remove wheels and drums. Disconnect cables. Remove console. Loosen cable to the ebrake pedal. Disconnect cables. Remove and replace in reverse order. It's pretty obvious once you get the console out. Best of luck.

5. Dec 6, 2016 at 1:58 PM
    CC33

CC33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    1988 4Runner
    Sorry to revive an old thread... Did you end up doing this replacement yourself? I need to do my driverside cable and would really like to try to do it myself... My main concern is the difficulty in disassembling and reassembling the drums- is that hard for someone with zero experience working on brakes?

6. Sep 24, 2022 at 10:31 AM
    redcap

redcap Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gord
    Thunder Bay Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab long box V6 4WD SR5
    none
    I did my rear right park brake cable the other day and am waiting on the rear left which is on back order. Both cables were 199.45 at Wrench Monkey. The stealer ship quoted me 155.00 each and two and a half hours to change each one for a total 1100.00. I have 97585 km on my 2010 tacoma and the bolts were rusted real bad Canadian winters. I broke the bolt on the cross member it was the first bolt I tried to take off so I had to drill it out. I went and got some blaster from Canadian Tire and soaked the rest of the bolts leaving them for 24 hours and soaking them again and the came off with out breaking. Both cables were broken where the aluminum end of the cable attached to the backing plate on the rear drums. I would recommend the blaster penetrating fluid if you are going to do this job your self.

6 gearT444E likes this.
  7. Sep 25, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    fixnfly

fixnfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S.W.PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access cab 4.0 4WD
  8. Nov 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM
    redcap

redcap Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gord
    Thunder Bay Ontario
    Vehicle:
    none
    Got my rear left park brake cable from Wrench Monkey and installed it ,all working good now. Fixnfly the video you posted is the one I watched and followed, but didn't have the same problem with the frame bolt on the drivers side by the gas tank. I am guessing because I have the long box the gas tank is further towards the back of the truck and I got it out with a shallow six point socket and ratchet. My truck has an automatic transmission so it was a little different then the video but that part was simple. Like I said in my earlier post I saved a bundle on this job. The stealer ship wanted 155.00 for each cable and 2.5 hours a side to change them at 145.00 dollars an hour plus tax and shop supplies for a total of 1169.55 plus 20.00 or30.00 bucks for shop supplies.

9. Nov 22, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    redcap

redcap Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gord
    Thunder Bay Ontario
    Vehicle:
    none
    The cables I installed were Raybestos right rear cable part number BC97059 and the rear left part number BC97060. My truck has the 140.9" wheel base and is an auto trans 4WD.

Chuy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top