Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Exhaust for 05 V6 Deep sound

Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
You gotta love your brother inlaw!
Huskerjim will become famous soon enoughHuskerjim will become famous soon enough

Name: Jim
Huskerjim's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust for 05 V6 Deep sound

Any suggestions in getting a good sound out of the tacoma V6 what muffler do you suggest? I will put duel from the muffler back HELP
Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskedjim View Post
Any suggestions in getting a good sound out of the tacoma V6 what muffler do you suggest? I will put duel from the muffler back HELP
Flowmaster 40. Dual out. Get some dt long headers.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
x3

Flowmaster is garbage.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
sbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to all

Name: Scott
sbeau1960's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sbeau1960
Everyone has their favorite exhaust and they all sound pretty decent. I just installed the TRD stainless steel exhaust yesterday and am very impressed with it. Great workmanship, perfect replacement, big SS pipe with a considerably smaller performance muffler than stock, beautiful polished TRD tailpipe tip. It sounds much deeper, nice rumble, can almost imagine it's a V8. Not intrusive in the cab unless you're getting on it though, a perfect combo IMHO.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
yeah like sbeau1960 said, it's all personal choice really. For me, I am a die hard flowmaster fan and most likely always will be.

Oh and why is flowmaster garbage?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^Exactly. It's all about your own ear, sort of like stereo speakers. What sounds good to me might not to you.

I don't agree that Flowmaster is garbage, btw. I've used them before and they make a decent product.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^Exactly. It's all about your own ear, sort of like stereo speakers. What sounds good to me might not to you.

I don't agree that Flowmaster is garbage, btw. I've used them before and they make a decent product.
X2 I have the 50 series and I love it, no problems at all. Kinda lost on where it would be considered garbage though...
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
I've always wanted a flowmaster (on my jeep and now my tacoma) but every time I go to a shop to get a new exhaust installed they convince me too go with a magna flow. So I got the Magnaflow XL Turbo 1-in 2-out. Sounds great. Nice and loud taking off but quiet on the highway.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Ok maybe garbage was a little much, but it sounds like a tin can with lots of rasp on our trucks stock, and if you add headers or change the y-pipe it sounds even worse. I have a friend with dt headers and the super 44 and it sounds horrible. I rode with him once and I was truely embarased to be seen riding it in. Also every flowmaster that I've seen on friends cars and whatnot they all rust out in a few years with holes in the bottom.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
Ok maybe garbage was a little much, but it sounds like a tin can with lots of rasp on our trucks stock, and if you add headers or change the y-pipe it sounds even worse. I have a friend with dt headers and the super 44 and it sounds horrible. I rode with him once and I was truely embarased to be seen riding it in. Also every flowmaster that I've seen on friends cars and whatnot they all rust out in a few years with holes in the bottom.
Yeah I know what you mean. I never liked the 44 or 40 series, I thought the same thing. However I found that the 50 series was much more mellow and gave it an aggressive tone. Not loud while cruising but has a good growl when you step on it. The Magnaflow's sound great as well though IMO.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rev View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I never liked the 44 or 40 series, I thought the same thing. However I found that the 50 series was much more mellow and gave it an aggressive tone. Not loud while cruising but has a good growl when you step on it. The Magnaflow's sound great as well though IMO.
X2. I also love my Flowmaster 50 series American Thunder! Sounds great, to me at least. Not to loud at all and sounds good when you step on it. Works good with my TRD CAI!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #13
You gotta love your brother inlaw!
Huskerjim will become famous soon enoughHuskerjim will become famous soon enough

Name: Jim
Huskerjim's Tacoma Gallery
Off trd exhaust to duel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Everyone has their favorite exhaust and they all sound pretty decent. I just installed the TRD stainless steel exhaust yesterday and am very impressed with it. Great workmanship, perfect replacement, big SS pipe with a considerably smaller performance muffler than stock, beautiful polished TRD tailpipe tip. It sounds much deeper, nice rumble, can almost imagine it's a V8. Not intrusive in the cab unless you're getting on it though, a perfect combo IMHO.

If I go to a y duel exhaust from the TRD stainless will it still sound good has anyone tried that? I think with many magna flow choices I think u can make a bad one. I think it will be a trd stainless. Were can I pick headers up for it and how much can I look to spend on them and is anything needed to change on engine computer to work correct? Thx newbie
Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
2006 Tacoma TRD Sport XSP
mnerren is on a distinguished road

Army: US Army 1985-88
mnerren's Tacoma Gallery
Don't go with the Borla exhaust, they sound terrible. I bought an XSP model from a South East Toyota dealer and it had the Borla exhuast system. The cat back stainless tubing is great but the exhaust drove me crazy, I finally replaced it with a standard SUV type muffler and it sounds much better, not very loud but a nice deep note. I was planning on looking at the Flowmaster 50 SUV exhaust when this one wears out. Check out the magnaflow web site, you can actually listen to an FJ and a Tacoma on their site with Magnaflow system on it. They sounded pretty good too, here is a link to it http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04trucks.asp

This is what a flowmaster 50 series will sound like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcxxPdAa41M exterior and then interior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgoPwKKUkeU and one more Flowmaster 50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkcfPMgGCX0 and this is the flowmaster 40 exhaust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHqb_...eature=related

Here is the TRD exhaust from the interior with a CAI, sounds good to me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86005sMqtx8
Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #15
sbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to all

Name: Scott
sbeau1960's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sbeau1960
What I really like about the TRD exhaust is that it's stainless and will last the life of the truck and it's very well made and all one piece unlike the others that you have to clamp or weld together. Also since my truck is still under warranty I'm only bolting on TRD performance parts that won't void my Toyota warranty. Honestly the TRD is loud enough for me, combined with the CAI it makes quite a bit of noise, good noise definitely, but I really wouldn't want it to be any louder.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #16
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
Aero Turbine! Doesn't get much louder and deeper then that... I can't imagine what it would sound like with DT's.... WOW
Old 04-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Hair Metal Rules
buzz wrecker is on a distinguished road
Navy: Fire Controlman First Class
buzz wrecker's Tacoma Gallery
I <3 my Aero Turbine 2525, and I haven't even had it on for a week yet!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
rememberthat magnaflow without the pipe to the back sounds like flow master with the pipe to the back
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
red06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to behold

red06toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz wrecker View Post
I <3 my Aero Turbine 2525, and I haven't even had it on for a week yet!
How you like that muffler? I researched them a few yaers ago, then forgot. what did it cost if you dont mind/
Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I've always been a Spintech fan ever since I found them eight years ago. You might want to give it a listen.