1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 Tacoma Wont start, Mechanics can't find problem. 4,000lb paper weight :(

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shawnbk1, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jun 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Hello Bill,
    I understand that you have come up with a formula to justify this improper practice, my guess is it is also illegal or it should be, but justification does not make it justifiable. If you want to be honest raise your claimed or posted hourly rates to what it takes to stay in business and stop ripping off the customer by billing for hours not worked or tell your mechanics to slow down to the full time that you are billing for and again let the customer know what you are doing.

2. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    FYI, what I tell my customers is that it costs $xxx.xx to get their job done, and the quote on paper that they get breaks down parts and labor charges. I also do tell them that some jobs take longer than others to complete, but that if it takes an hour to do the job, or 3 hours to do the job, it will cost the same.

Let me ask you this. If I were to look at exactly what you just said above, then what would you recommend I do if things went the opposite way? What if the job is set as a LTG of 2 hours, but I know for a fact that it takes me 3 hours no matter what we do? Should I charge then 3 hours? What if it actually takes my tech 5 hours? or 6? Should I charge them that? NO. I charge a flat price, REGARDLESS of the actual time. If I can't get the job done in time, well that is my problem, not the customer's problem. I can tell you have never owned or ran any kind of repair business. Not implying anything bad, just that you do not appear to be able to grasp what it takes to run one. I own a VERY successful auto repair shop, and I have customers that are always raving about me, and the great deals I offer. I sell several products on this forum, and nobody has ever said I was overcharging or dishonest.

3. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    OK, I have tried my best to be civil and polite, but you continue to insult me and accuse me of being dishonest and ripping people off. To that point I am done now. I have not "Come up with a formula". This practice is the INDUSTRY STANDARD among auto repair shops. DEALERSHIPS as well. This has been the way it has been done for 50 years. At this point sir, we are DONE. I will not stand here and continue to listen to you insult me and accuse me of improper business practices!

4. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Rather than derailing this thread, please converse via PM. The OP question has nothing to do what is debated here.

5. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Agreed Sean, but I prefer that Gerald, AKA "savedone" not contact me at all, and I will not contact him.

6. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:

That's fine.

7. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

I'd agree this is best.

saved-Your personal feelings don't change the facts in this case and you are in a factually incorrect spot...so let it go.

8. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Mind if I ask you to PM me as to why you think I am in a factually incorrect spot?

9. Jun 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

Not you-Right at the start of that section it says "saved" cause I was too lazy to type out his whole name... Who is the one I think you were at odds with ..because he is wrong.

You are a great dude and spot on.

10. Jun 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    And just an aside before I leave this thread, I am quite happy and proud of the job I do, and the service I provide. I feel like I have great integrity, as can be said in the MANY comments from people who have purchased from me. and for what it is worth, I DO tell my customers that while the price is a set price for a job, that price is the same regardless of if it took me an hour to do it, or 4 hours. I DO NOT EVER deceive my customers. I have full disclosure on all my work orders and estimates. I don't charge one customer more or less for the same job just because it was done faster or slower than expected. One can go to the store and buy a TV for $1000 and it doesn't matter that the new production facilities can now build it twice as fast, but they still charge the same $1000. It is no different than what ALL auto repair shops do: Same price for the same job for everyone. So yes, I DO disclose the facts. Not a single customer has ever complained, and they still return. Why? Because I don't sell them something they don't need, and I am honest with them.

11. Jun 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    LOL, here I was thinking you were bashing on me. lmao.:eek:

Products Discussed in