1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery failed load test

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rosqeaux, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 2, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    rosqeaux

rosqeaux [OP] Badjes?

Member:
    Took my 2011 into the dealer for the free 25k maintenance and was told my battery failed the load test. They offered to replace it for $175. I said, "no thanks, I'll deal with it." Looking over the report the test indicates 593 cold cranking amps. I haven't noticed any issues with starting or other electrical weirdness, so I'm just wondering how critical it is to replace it. I don't know where a score of 593 falls on the spectrum of "get that sh*t fixed ASAP!" vs. "meh, you can limp along for another year." The battery's only 3 years old and I don't run much add'l electronic gear (ultragage, phone charger). I also live in fairly mild climate so I don't run the a/c that much and it almost never gets below freezing. That being said I'm about to go on a 5-day camping trip out in the boonies of Nevada so maybe I should just get it done. There will be another vehicle so I could get jumped if needed, but still a hassle I'd rather not deal with.

Any replacement recommendations would also be appreciated.

2. Jun 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    mine failed completely at about 3 and a half years. I would have it tested by a someone else just to be sure. the last thing you want is to be in the middle of no where and it wont start. I got a 5 year battery for around $150.

3. Jun 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Some walmarts still carry the 5year batteries.

4. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    JPS11

JPS11 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner DC TRD OR Black
    My battery failed the test at the Toyota dealer at around 26K miles and 2 years + 360 days. They replaced it under warranty. I was pleasantly surprised!

Also, look for a coupon online from Advance Auto. You should be able to save 30% off of the $120 price for a 3 year battery when you order online and pick it up. Free testing and install too!

5. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    rosqeaux

rosqeaux [OP] Badjes?

Member:
    Mine's just outside 3 years. Really annoying.

I don't think we have advaced auto out this way (so cal). their store locator didn't show anything nearby. Too bad. that sounds like a deal

6. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) You may want to heed the warning about your battery, and have it load tested at one of your local auto parts stores. If the battery is tested and it is good, then test it again in 6 months. If the battery fails this test also, then change your battery and consider yourself lucky.
    A average battery now will have a life span of 3 yrs. , and the biggest danger of a battery that is going bad is the damage to your charging and electrical components. Catching a battery that could be failing is important and should not be taken for granted. Good Luck.

7. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Just replace it. Better to be safe then sorry. Mine failed short of three years too. Got mine from Auto Zone. As stated above , most auto parts stores will test it for free.

8. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Yeah you might get a few more months out of it but why risk getting stuck somewhere you don't want to be?

9. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    My last four batteries all lasted 6+ years. Wife's car went 10+ years. Replaced my Taco battery last year for $65.00 from Farm & Fleet. 593cca is fine for socal. Keep the clamps clean and keep the battery clean. Keep a eye on it. $175 is steep for a battery:eek:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  10. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    Replace...:thumbsup:

11. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    Ken b

Ken b Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Surprise, Az
    Vehicle:
    14 offroad 4x4
    ARE shell, bedrug, TRD wheels
    Service managers jobs are to sell you on items you can live without. For instance I took my wifes car in they said the tires were in need ov replacment. They said it was at 5mm. The wear bars are at 3mm. I told them I'll be fine. Once the tires hit the wear marks I'll change em. Not till then.

Same with a battery, if its still doing the job, I'll live with it. Another dealer told me I needed a battery. Two years later I finally felt the need to change it since it started to crank weaker.

12. Jun 3, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    New spec for the battery is about 700 cca... so you're at about 600 cca. It's not unusual for batteries to weaken with age. Ask an interstate dealer what they recommend (original vs existing CCA) and then buy one of theirs when you're ready. I have the towing package so it's one helluva big battery.
    obtw.. don't understand... free 25k service; this would imply that you're within 2 years of it being a new vehicle; wouldn't the battery be under the 3/36?

13. Jun 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    rosqeaux

rosqeaux [OP] Badjes?

Member:
    Took it to my local Auto Zone yesterday evening. They tested it, it failed again, so I had them replace it. I could see it being something I'd fret about while in the middle of nowhere, NV.

THanks for all the feedback!

14. Jun 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
  15. Jun 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    1/2 CCA 9.6V 15 secs...

16. Jun 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    IMHO, replace if the measured CCA is less than 80% of the stated CCA on the battery label. When testing be sure the battery electrolyte levels are correct (if required, add only distilled water) and the battery is fully charged. [The conductance testing is more accurate.] The November 2013 issue of Consumer Reports has some Group 24F batteries rated. A third or more of the starting batteries in North America are made by Johnson Controls and are private labeled, for example Toyota's TrueStart. For more information on buying replacement batteries, see Section 7 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  17. Jun 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Yeah, the open road (esp desert) is no place to wonder about this. Agree with your assessment, based upon where you travel. WHat did AZone charge you?:tumbleweed:

18. Jun 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    "09" Access Cab 4x4, took advantage of a Toyota coupon, battery $99.00, free installation. The original tested out OK, but 5 years is enough for me.jmop

19. Jun 6, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    DaBigDogg

DaBigDogg "Say when..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mid-Suffolk, LINY
    Vehicle:
    '22 MGM DCLB TRD OR
    I've bought the Costco brand (Kirkland Signature lol) in the past and have had really good luck. Apparently they're manufactured in the same factory as the Sears Diehard Gold but with a different label stuck on. Supposedly there are only like three manufacturers of batteries or something...?

20. Jun 7, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Kirkland and DieHard Gold are both manufactured by Johnson Controls' private labeled as you pointed out. In the order of number of car batteries sold in the U.S., the big three are Johnson Controls, Exide and East Penn ("Deka"). For more infomation, see the LEAD-ACID BATTERY MANUFACTURERS AND BRAND NAMES LIST on www.batteryfaq.org

Products Discussed in

To Top