Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hauling an ATV

Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
geist262 is on a distinguished road
geist262's Tacoma Gallery
Hauling an ATV

Hey Guys, I will be using my truck to haul my ATV which weighs 600lbs. Now, I have read that there is a tailgate and rear leaf spring TSB. I looked at my truck and I only have 3 leafs in the rear. Honestly, this just pisses me off considering its the off road package. How do I get the new leaf package, call my dealer? Also, what is the deal with the tailgate? I am afraid to load the ATV after reading this. Thanks.

randy
Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geist262 View Post
Hey Guys, I will be using my truck to haul my ATV which weighs 600lbs. Now, I have read that there is a tailgate and rear leaf spring TSB. I looked at my truck and I only have 3 leafs in the rear. Honestly, this just pisses me off considering its the off road package. How do I get the new leaf package, call my dealer? Also, what is the deal with the tailgate? I am afraid to load the ATV after reading this. Thanks.

randy
Just had the TSB leaf springs put on my truck, today...

I haul my ATV that weighs just over 600lbs as well...

It bottomed a few times so I called the dealer, told them the deal, and now I have the new springs... I've heard that the tailgate issue has been addressed on the '09's...

Search TSB springs and you will have a ton of reading to do...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
geist- I believe they've addressed the issue on the 09's. Do you mean there are 3 springs + the heavy overload leaf? I've got the newest TSB springs and It's 3+ the overload so if thats what you have then you've got the updated springs on your '09 too. If you need it stiffer yet, then you'd want to get an AAL and Bilstein 5100 shocks to lift/level it slightly.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
How many leafs should I see then? 4 I only see 3 right now. I will take another look for sure.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Nope, only 3. I guess I call my dealer. If they need proof, I will take a trip to the dealer with the quad in the back.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
He's in an 09...the dealer may or may not care about the printed out TSB.

Call them/Go in and talk with them reasonably about it. Lots of folks have been getting the TSB done on their 09's...so you may have luck without pitching a fit or going to corporate. You might not...so you may have to call corporate and go from there.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
I am not a hot head, but of course, I can be. It just erks me that this problem has been out for a few years, yet its not addressed. I guess they bank on owners not finding out and they save money on the two springs per truck. I assumed the ride would be harsh for the off road series. After all, it is a pickup truck. Oh well. They have been good to deal with so far, but they have my money now. I hope its not Dr Jekell, Mr Hyde deal.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
BTW, where can I get the printout of the TSB?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
good luck. if your dealer is normally strict you might wanna print out the tsb.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by geist262 View Post
I am not a hot head, but of course, I can be. It just erks me that this problem has been out for a few years, yet its not addressed. I guess they bank on owners not finding out and they save money on the two springs per truck. I assumed the ride would be harsh for the off road series. After all, it is a pickup truck. Oh well. They have been good to deal with so far, but they have my money now. I hope its not Dr Jekell, Mr Hyde deal.
The same thing has been beat to death and the consensus is they are gambling on people liking the softer ride and not noticing a bit of sag. And for a high % of customers they are right.
The rest of us are on TW and have the springs, are working on getting the springs, or have other parts and don't care.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Well, if you ask for these springs, it should be no big deal to take care of it. It really shouldn't be a hassle like some have posted. Not to mention, there is no TSB for 09 yet. If the dealer wants to be an ass, they can be and you have no ammo for the fight.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
anestech* will become famous soon enough
anestech*'s Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate issue was fixed in the 07 model year.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #17
Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will talk to the dealer when I bring it in for the first service, which is on the house.