1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replaced Clutch on 2008 Dual Cab - Update

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mingy, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Jun 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    Mingy

Mingy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    A couple weeks ago I sought advice as to whether my clutch was slipping. Based on TacomaWorld feedback I got the courage to replace my clutch.

I ordered a kit from the US because even a premium one was about half the cost of a standard kit at an auto parts store in Canada. I didn't bother to ask the dealer: the price would have freaked me out and, quite frankly, the stock clutch lasted half of what it should.

Than I searched high and low to rent a tranny jack (I have a lift) in the Toronto Ontario area. No dice. So I bought a China special 500kg telescoping lift for $400.

I pulled off the transmission without too much trouble. The major challenges i had were all the damned wires and there are two bolts on the top you can only remove if you partly lower the tranny.

I removed the pressure plate and the clutch was clearly shot: almost down to the rivets.

I figured I would increase the odds of mating the transmission to the engine by measuring the angle of the flywheel (86 degrees) and adjusting the transmission to the same angle.

Incredibly, the transmission went in the first shot. No fighting, wiggling, etc.. It just went in and I pulled it home with a couple bolts. Because I was working alone I was astonished at my luck.

I should have bought the necessary exhaust gaskets when I ordered the clutch kit because those are one shot deals.

Works like a charm right now.

Thanks for all the help.

2. Jun 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Well done!

3. Jun 8, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    Mingy

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    Thanks! My anxiety levels were off the charts when I started: I had never worked under a lift before and, even though it was my lift, I had only done brake jobs and oil changes with it.

Then there is the little detail of removing a 350 lb (?) piece of metal, while under the vehicle which is over your head, and hoping 1) the jack actually works and 2) the removal doesn't somehow cause the truck to fall off the lift (even though I had special 'lift jacks').

I probably worked on it for 8-10 hours, all alone, not counting breaks for getting parts and such.

4. Jun 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JEFF
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT 6 SPEED
    Dobinsons suspension
    Nice. How many miles did you have on the old clutch? Do you have any pictures of the job?

5. Jun 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    Mingy

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    I only got 100,000 miles out of the clutch which really bothers me. My previous truck was a 4-runner (same everything except a slightly smaller 6 cylinder) and I scrapped it at > 200,000 miles with the original clutch.

So maybe I was hard on the Tacoma, but I do not usually burn clutches. I read a few places that Toyota had some 'bad' clutches but I don't know if that was the cause. One reason, besides cost, I did not buy an OEM clutch is because of the short life of the one I had.

Alas, I do not have pictures. I took out my camera but once I got going and I remembered I should be taking pictures I was so far into the job I figured it wasn't worth documenting from that point on. If I had to do it again I would definitely take pictures of the electricals because they need to be threaded just right and it took me maybe an hour to figure that out.

6. Jun 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    Good Job. Changing a clutch can seem scary doing it by yourself for the first time. Now go sit on the porch have a beer(or your favorite beverage) and relax. Now other jobs on your truck will seem easy.

7. Jul 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    What replacement clutch did you go with?

8. Jul 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    Mingy

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    I got an Excedy online. They had a bunch of choices so I kinda picked half way the price point. Because of the shockingly short life of the OEM clutch I didn't want to get another one. Of course, as far as I know Excedy is an OEM, but at least I tried.

The kit number is [FONT=&quot]W0133-1840147.
    [/FONT]

9. Jul 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Thank you!

Products Discussed in

To Top