1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC only blowing cold from Driver's side vent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WebberLander, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Jun 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    WebberLander

WebberLander [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Hey Gang,

I've done some research into trying to figure out why my 2011 Tacoma started having A/C issues about a week ago but wanted to get some more info from this post before I take action. To date the truck has never had any A/C service.

As the title states, the A/C blows cold from the driver's side vent (closest to driver's window) and the rest of the vents are blowing warm air. This is especially the case after the truck has been sitting for several hours and more so when the truck is sitting in direct sun.

I found these threads in my searches so far:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...UWfPIcIHv6-BEQOXg&sig2=jRAI3kJWG7yMYGUNqKUrYg

^^^ In that post some folks suggest the "A/C Dessicant Element" is possibly clogged and reference the part in the picture below.

dessicant-element_201778f5a6574915dd0ad68591411e53e3ca2c96.jpg

The other thread I found leads to the system just being low on FREON:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/314722-c-blows-cold-air-out-one-vent.html

Then I found this useful thread that gave a lot of information:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...tell-if-c-refrigerant-low-steps-recharge.html

Before ordering a part that might or might not be the issue, I went to Autozone and rented their manifold gauges to do a pressure test to see if it is indeed low on Freon. This is where I need your help as I am unsure what the correct level should be based on the guages. From the last thread above I found that Refrigerant charge volume on an 06 tacoma is 570 to 630 g (20.10 to 22.22 oz). I'm in a 2011 so I wasn't too sure if the levels are the same? Also this site here (http://techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/qrst#toyota) wasn't much help either as it didn't list anything over 2001.

To better help read the gauges I made a video with them hooked up. A/C was on full blast and you can see when the compressor kicks on and off. From looking at this video can anybody tell me if they think the system is low?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3O4p8Syp8&feature=youtu.be

In the end i'm probably going to take it to a shop for a full diagnosis, but wanted to start here and see what people think. Thank you very much in advance for reading all this!!!!

2. Jun 11, 2014 at 6:59 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Well you could have made close up of the gauge so we can read pressure .
    :rolleyes:
    How many PSI is that low reading on blue gauge ? If it falls below 20 psi its way to low. Low side should be atleast 30 for compressor to run fully.

EDIT: Nevermind I watched on Youtube with full screen and it is low.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  3. Jun 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Any chance that a vent tube servicing the other vents became disconnected behind the dash?

4. Jun 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    WebberLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Yeah sorry about the video quality. I should have uploaded it to my Vimeo account which doesn't downgrade the quality as much. I appreciate you taking time to really look at it the gauge for me. What level should it hold at when the compressor is engaged?

I suspected the freon was low which means I most likely have a leak somewhere :rolleyes: . I am not a big fan of the DIY A/C charging kits you get at local parts stores, but i'm tempted to just purchase a can and fill the level back to "normal". I'll borrow the Manifold gauges again from Autozone to fill it properly. However my gut is telling me to spend the extra money and have a professional A/C service top it off and also ensure the oil level is correct too.

Again thanks for looking guys.

5. Jun 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    20 psi is cut off for compressor so you need to be way above that but below 50 psi (which is High cutoff) on the very hot day with your car at full operating temperature.
    You are in TX so I would do this after couple miles round trip on the highway on the hot day. Than you can use diy kit to just fill until low shows betweeen 30-40 psi. (as close to 40 as possible)
    Most of those kits come with some form of lubricant i n them so I would not worry much about oil. Plus usually you lose freon not oil which is much more denser than freon.
    I would just go get the DIY kit with guage.
    Drive truck on highway for couple miles (10 - 20) so its fully heated up.
    Park truck with AC in max cool.
    Than simply connect DIY kit and get some freon inside.
    Use small bursts of freon and watch the gauge if its climbing. leave at least a minute + between bursts so compressor has enough time to get new fresh freon.
    If you over charge, compressor will be shutting off as soon as it starts and your gauge will be showing over 50 psi. Dont Panic.
    All you need to do is connect Autozone guage and let of some freon until pressure drops below 50 psi while compressor is running.
    You want your reading to be as close to 50 psi as possible but remember when there is more heat, (warmer temperature, 120F heat wave) freon will expand and if pressure goes over 50 psi compressor will shutdown. Thats why its good to do this on super hot day. I set mine at 43 psi Try that.
    Good luck
    I just did A/C on my wifes car and now she complains its freezing. Womens... :rolleyes: Either too hot or too cold.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  6. Jun 12, 2014 at 7:03 AM
    WebberLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Much appreciated folks. I recharged the system yesterday just as mentioned above. We hit 97F here yesterday so it wasn't as hot as it can get here but I did drive the truck for nearly 40 miles before I charged it, so the truck was nice and warm.

Had the AC on full blast and on recirculating and made sure to do bursts of the Freon rather than a continuous dump. I also waited about 2 mins. in between bursts to ensure I wasn't overcharging the system. I was able to get it to 43 PSI on the low side and the AC is now blowing ICE cold from all my vents again.

Drove the truck to dinner last night and the wife actually turned the temperature knob away from the coldest setting b/c it was so cold. That put a smile on my face :):cheers:

7. Jul 3, 2023 at 10:44 AM
    Scrapla

Scrapla Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma PreRunner 4.0 V6
    I have a similar issue. My AutoZone gauge is reading around 20psi. My ac clutch stays engaged when I try and refill and only turns off when I turn the AC button off. I'm in South Florida and it's 91 degrees when I'm trying this. Should I wait till sundown when it's a bit cooler? It seems like the system wont take any charge and the ac clutch remains engaged.

8. Jul 3, 2023 at 11:00 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    What is your high side pressure?
    Low side pressure alone is not a good gauge of how much refrigerant is in the system or how the system is performing.

9. Jul 6, 2023 at 1:31 PM
    Scrapla

Scrapla Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma PreRunner 4.0 V6
    Sorry the needle on my recharge kit was broken. I got a new attachment and was able to recharge the system.

Products Discussed in

To Top