1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auxiliary Gas Tank Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ColoradoPacific, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Jun 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    Sideways

Sideways Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    Love the idea and have sub'd the thread

2. Jun 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Steel tanks will need to be lined internally to protect from rust entering the pickup caused by ethanol in your fuel. Haven't driven in Washington in a couple of years myself but I do recall seeing ethanol tags on most gasoline pumps that we stopped at. If the state has changed it's policies and no longer authorizes selling ethanol mixed fuel and you never intend to buy fuel outside of state for that tank then no worries.

If you want to keep costs down with the welder you can add foam baffles which work very well but may require inspection as some fuel mixtures break the material down. Another option is the ring baffles such as the type that Alltech offers. One caveat with the ring baffles is that your pickup will require shielding to protect the mechanism unlike with welded and foam block baffles.

3. Jun 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    gunmetalghost

gunmetalghost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lamar
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    '09 MGM V6 TRD-Offroad
    Nerf-Bars, 3.5" Lift, Linex'ed truck box, Dipped Emblems, Color Matched Eyelids, Satoshi Grill TO COME Satoshi Letters Retrofitted Lights SR8 Wheels Toyo Open Country R/T Tires
    Can't wait to watch this build, wouldn't need one personally, but love the idea, more power to you!

4. Jun 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk

Makes sense.... No permanent changes.

I'm in it for the good project aspect myself. I'm looking forward to seeing your project move forward.

5. Jun 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM
    Mikehole

Mikehole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Short Bed TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift w/ 285/75/16s and planning on OBA for sometime in the future. Also thinking about the HWMS and a Warn 8000 for it.
    How much ground clearance will the tank have, if you are going to go off roading with it? There was a post on Expedition Portal (I think?) about a guy who installed an Isuzu fuel tank in the spare tire area (I'm unable to find the article ATM, so no link... sorry). I believe he stacked the spare below the tank and had decreased ground clearance, but had the extra 15 or so gallons.

But this type of thing makes me nervous, since you can just drop the rear end of the truck off a ledge and land almost squarely on the tank. Could you put a heavy skid under it? I'm not that nervous about dropping my truck on the spare, but with 17 gallons in place of the spare...

6. Jun 18, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I'm planning on doing away with the spare tire guide bracket things so the tank should sit higher up than the spare also I don't do that kind of off roading. However, that could change. If so I'll have a thick skid plate made that would mount to the frame.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  7. Jul 1, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  8. Jun 30, 2016 at 11:38 PM
    Spvrtan

Spvrtan "Your assembly required."

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    SC'd '14 Tundra; 5.5" lift w/ +2.5 LT; 40s on 17s; 4.88s
    ..what happened to this project?

lemons likes this.
  9. Aug 13, 2016 at 6:54 PM
    T@codawg

T@codawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD PreRunner Xtra Cab
    Full OME 881's w/nitros & Dakar leafs in rear
    yeah i wondered if he gave up on it. id really love to see a larger fuel cell option for my 99.

10. Jan 18, 2023 at 2:16 PM
    Primitive_Machinist

Primitive_Machinist Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Silver Tacoma 4x4
    Reviving this thread from the depths of dead good ideas.... did it ever get done?

reallifedog likes this.
  11. Jan 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    OP has not been on TW in over 3 years.

If you are interested in additional fuel capacity look up LRA tanks in the search function. It's an aftermarket gas tank specifically built for the Tacoma and gets you from the stock 21 gallons to 34 gallon capacity in the stock location. I've had one for a while and it's awesome range.

12. Jan 18, 2023 at 8:11 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Probably the best option. One tank engineered for this exact purpose.

Since my last post in this thread I added a 19 gallon 1990 Ford F150 tank where the spare tire used to go on my 03 Tacoma back in 2015.

I think I spent about $200 on parts and a weekend welding a bracket to hold it.

It uses the stock ford fuel pump and sending unit for its own fuel guage.

It’s worked really well for the last 80,000 or so miles on trips all over the western US.

With all that said, yeah, these are super nice
    https://longrangeamerica.com/?s=Tacoma

13. Jan 18, 2023 at 8:17 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Don't forget jdfabs aux tank mount as well

Primitive_Machinist and otis24 like this.
  14. Jan 19, 2023 at 9:12 AM
    Primitive_Machinist

Primitive_Machinist Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Silver Tacoma 4x4
    I have looked into the LRA. I like it but 3 issues. 1 more taco lean, 2 cant be shipped to Cali do to stupid laws, 3 its a direct swap of the OE tank and wont pass Cali bullcrap smog. my needs are pretty much limited to a removeable or hide-able aux tank which JD fab aux setup fits the bill, but the bill is dam expensive and i spoke with them about their build and its not a bolt in kit. its a weld-in kit and you gotta still do a buncha guess work on sourcing a tank.... I like OP's og idea of bolt on fuel cell with a separate filler maybe add a few QD fittings and manual valves so the tank can be dropped when smog time comes around. eh.... it was a shot in the dark on this thread but eh.

otis24[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top