1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Fluid Cool Down

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wesplains, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Jun 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    wesplains

wesplains [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Middle of USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    SnugTop, Aries Stealth Bull Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Floor Mats, OEM Cab Rack, Amp Bed Extender, VooDoo Bad Brackets with Cargo Basket. Yakima racks on cover. MagnaFlow Muffler, KC Running Lights, Console Vault, Dash Cam, Side Moldings, UltraGauge
    Just want to ask, drove less than 20 miles to the dealer, outside temp 62 degrees, dealer said it took over two hours for the transmission fluid to cool down enough to be checked.

Threw a yellow verbal flag at them and said I would let them know if that was true.

If anyone knows I would appreciate knowing so I could actually tell them it was BS or not.

Just thought I would ask here, research and ask my best friend who is a gifted mechanic, plus certified.

Thanks.

2. Jun 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I don't see why they would lie about that. Checking fluid isn't a big money maker for them. I'd think they'd want you in/out to move on to something more worthwhile.

3. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    i see TRD sport.... does it have the tow package with external trans cooler?

I could see it taking some time to cool down. Avg trans temps on flat ground without a load hit 170-180ish probably slightly higher with no tow package. Think of all the metal that heats up to that temperature (motor and trans) and how long it will take to cool down.... trans needs to be at 110-120 for proper temp check and it needs to come up from well below that temperature for proper check procedure.

4. Jun 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Sounds about right. Fluid needs to get to 80f to get to check mode so 2 hours in 62f sound fairly quick

5. Jun 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    wesplains

wesplains [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Middle of USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    SnugTop, Aries Stealth Bull Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Floor Mats, OEM Cab Rack, Amp Bed Extender, VooDoo Bad Brackets with Cargo Basket. Yakima racks on cover. MagnaFlow Muffler, KC Running Lights, Console Vault, Dash Cam, Side Moldings, UltraGauge
    Yea, I have the tow package.

Alright, thanks all. Just checking.

I am trying to give this dealership all the trust and business I can afford. As long as they do good work and meet or come close to meeting prices at other sources.

This was the first 5,000 mile checkup. Free of course.

On a side note, the Service Manager is a very lovely lady.

6. Jun 13, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    Just out of curiosity, do you know average temps for other conditions, like w/ tow package and no towing, tow package + heavy towing, etc?

7. Jun 13, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase

Products Discussed in

To Top