1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drivetrain Vibration 15 - 25 MPH Toyota will not perform the TSB on my truck - HELP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tgoatman, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Nov 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    alls im seeing here is a shitty dealer.

If it vibes at low throttle openings - slow run up.... or HEAVY throttle openings it qualifies plain and simple. Have the tech get in the truck. pull out to the street, get straight, stop. and roll quickly into a WOT run (not so quick to break the tires loose, but just about) it will vibe like sumbitch

2. Nov 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    darkfader

darkfader Will this fit without rubbing?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW

it vibes at low throttle opening and WOT from about 5mph to 25mph and then smooths out. this happens at every single stop and go. it is worse going up an incline.

here's what has happened so far.

before my 20k scheduled maintenance, i mentioned it to the service guy at the desk, citing the revised TSB which now includes the manual trans, and he said they would diagnose it during my service appt.

the following week, during the service appt, the same service guy tells me they cannot replicate the problem. i knew this was total BS because it does it the worst when i leave the dealership heading up a hill. i told him that, and he said he would have the tech ride with me. the tech rides with me and acknowledges that there is a vibe present, but "it is not severe enough, bring it back if it gets worse."

i go home ticked off. i call toyota customer care and they tell me that they will contact the dealership and the dealership will contact me.

several days later, the service manager calls me. she tells me that she spoke with the technician and my vibes are not severe enough to perform the TSB. i explain to her that the diagnostic procedures outlined in the TSB were not followed so how can they make a final decision? we argue back and forth for a bit until i finally ask her if she has even read the TSB, to which she replies no. i told her, "perhaps you should read and familiarize yourself with the documents we are discussing and call me back."

i get no return call for a week and a day, so i call back and she is firm on her decision to not only not perform the TSB, but she refuses to even measure my driveline angles simply because the technician states that the vibes are not that severe.

i then place calls to both the general manager of the dealership, and the customer relations person at the dealership with no return phone calls. i am told by both, that they will look into it and get back to me.

i decide to call toyota customer care again, since no one from the dealer will call me back. the woman at customer care states that my vin # is not included and to keep "working with" the dealership.

i did take it in for my 25k free oil change, only because it was free, and told them i still had the vibes. this time i dealt with a different counter girl. she told me after the oil change was done, that my vin# is not included. that was about a week and a half ago.

sorry for the novel but i thought i should clarify my experience. this is University Toyota in Morgantown, WV.

3. Nov 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR

yes

brought truck in for tsb, shop foreman said these TSB's ain't working, could get worse. I said no this is the new version TSB give it a shot

he said OK

---
    got truck back with new ubolts, springs, and ubolt hardware set to 44ftlbs...zero vibes. truck is MINT yes they swapped 3 leaf for 4 leaf and rear ride height went up 1 1/2 inch.

[what sucked was I needed an alignment after that, everyone does...but it isn't part of the tsb]

4. Nov 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    My expierence with this TSB.

I bought my truck, hated the 2+1 leaf pack on my TRD OR, brought it in and complained that it sagged. 3 months later this TSB came out and stated that the TRD OR got the "firm ride" (3+1 leaf pack) had the dealer put it in after holding their hand the entire way, also stated that they needed to do an alignment after and they did it. vibes 95% gone under normal driving. Then i did an AAL and other vibes... but i now have the 3+1 leaf pack for a better base for the AAL so im happy overall.

5. Nov 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    tgoatman

tgoatman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DBL CAB 4X4 TRD OR
    Black powder coated wheels Tool Box Rock Sliders
    This is the same Toyota nonsense they give everyone.

BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU THIS:

They all know exactly how Toyota wants them to respond to you.
    They all know this is an issue.
    They all know that many customers will just go away if they keep resisting to help.
    They are all incentivised to NOT repair this vehicle for you

Here's why: IT'S A VERY EXPENSIVE FIX! Likely more than the profit margin they earned on that POS truck in the first place.

There's only one way to make them act. Keep going in for this problem. Insist that it be fixed. Cite the TSB number over and over. Make the service manager ride with you. Depending on your state's law, by the 4th report of the issue, they will finally do it.

Then, here's my most valuable advice: Sell that POS and go buy a GMC.

6. Nov 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    tgoatman

tgoatman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DBL CAB 4X4 TRD OR
    Black powder coated wheels Tool Box Rock Sliders
    OK - so I need to conduct a quick social experiment here. I started this post after a year of fighting with Toyota on this issue. I know for a fact they know it's an issue, they know how to fix it, and they simply don't want to because it's a financial disaster if they do. I know there are a TON of people who have this issue. I also see a lot of those same people defending Toyota on this post - which is weird, because all of us have been lied to by a company who has the resources to fix this issue, yet, in 9 years of production, they haven't.

They seem to be pretty confident that people will continue to buy these faulty trucks regardless.

So - here's my question: For those of you experiencing this problem, will you buy another Toyota truck? If so, why?

I feel completely defrauded by this monster company, and they will NEVER again see a dime of my money.

7. Nov 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    My Last truck before my Tacoma was a GMC. It was an 11 year work in progress that was never properly fixed. My feelings for GM is quoted in my Sig.

8. Nov 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Umm the TSB leaf spring cured 95% of my vibes.... they fixed it without much issue. Unfortunately certain dealers dont know what they are doing and dont want to do it.

I felt COMPLETELY DEFRAUDED by chevy when my transfercase in my 01 2500HD needed to be replaced at 37k miles.... 1k after warranty ended... then all the window motors, knock sensors, radiator, hubs, full steering assembly, power steering pump, idlers, FULL TRANSMISSION AND TORQUE CONVERTER replaced.... ALLL BEFORE 120k miles..

Ill never buy a chevy again or any american made truck for that matter. Toyota has my money from now on.

9. Nov 13, 2014 at 6:42 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    LOL I know, right ?

listen...this is for all you peeps near and far...

all car companies suck....but compared to all of them....Toyota sucks less

so, buy what you want....for me, and others who want reliable rigs, I'll stick with toyota

10. Nov 14, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Ok; My take:
    Right after buying my '12 it showed signs of bad shudder/vibraiton exactly per the TSB. But it was cancelled b/f I got it done, and since the new tsb last Feb. actually the vibes have settled down; cannot explain it. Maybe the chassis parts/springs are settling? (they are 3+1) Now i still get a slight vibe exactly at 20mph, but it varies by fuel tank level - full almost no vibe, near empty some slight vibe. Some full throttle takeoff vibe and some at firm stop...Loaded bed and almost no vibe...
    Only things i've done is get the tires balanced (dealer), alignment, and believe it or not flipped my spare so i could get to the fill valve and THAT changed the vibe for the better....[maybe my spare is a big dampener?]
    Anyway, what i'm getting from this thread is that this is very iffy fix; maybe tech's don't know how to measure the angle accurately and order wrong parts, cut corners & don't do the full fix, etc. Others are getting fix and it isn't worth it or maybe the dealer runaround on what's bad vibe and what isn't...For some the fix is perfection??????
    In my case it may be worse if they worked on it; got 6 weeks to go and the 3 years will be up.
    I won't bother.

Products Discussed in

To Top