1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drivetrain Vibration 15 - 25 MPH Toyota will not perform the TSB on my truck - HELP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tgoatman, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Jun 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    tgoatman

tgoatman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DBL CAB 4X4 TRD OR
    Black powder coated wheels Tool Box Rock Sliders
    Hey everyone,

I have read several posts as well as the TSB for the Drivetrain vibration between 15 - 25 MPH. I have also had my truck (2014 DCSB TRD 4X4 AT) at two dealers twice in the last 6 months, and despite the fact that the techs at both dealerships can replicate the vibration, Toyota insists that it's normal and will not approve them to perform the TSB, and they just release the truck back to me.

I've called Toyota customer service several times, but I'm just getting the run around.

Has anyone else been through this? Can you give me some hints as to what I need to do to get Toyota to try to fix this?

Has anyone who also has the vibration done the TSB, and did it fix the problem? What did they find wrong, exactly?

Thanks for any advice/info.

2. Jun 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Print out TSB, have them replicate the problem (take them for a drive) and tell them to preform the fix.

If you go in with the knowledge of the TSB (read it over thoroughly and understand what is acomplished), dont act like a dick but be stern, dont accept no for an answer. Also unfortunately it seems like its a very different experience between dealerships as far as willingness to work on your vehicle regardless of the issue.

3. Jun 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    make sure it is TSB 0008-14 not the earlier one

vibrations 15-25 on AT is not normal. I had the TSB done and my rig is now 100% super smooth.

the TSB posted on these forums is section 1 and section 2 of a single TSB. make sure to download both parts, print, and bring to delear and insist on ride-along with the shop foreman. or go to another dealer.

4. Jul 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    I complained to the BBB andToyota Corporate about the dealer refusing to do the TSB on my 09.
    I'm at 59K. I started asking for the TSB work at 43K. Corporate contacted the dealer and told them to do the TSB.
    I just had it done last week and it didn't help one bit. They are now having a service rep. come out next week to see what else they can do.

5. Jul 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Did they do something during the model year to fix this? I do not have a vibration.

6. Jul 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    ^^

when they slap the truck together MOST of the time it all lines up and you are fine

this is for those that when put together, the angle of the dangle is off

7. Jul 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Look up your state lemon law. Document the visits.

8. Jul 28, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    This! BBB don't do shit

9. Jul 28, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    Worked for me : ) I complained to the dealer for a year without any luck. One complaint to the BBB and Corporate and my truck was in for the TSB work 2 days later.

10. Jul 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    tgoatman

tgoatman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DBL CAB 4X4 TRD OR
    Black powder coated wheels Tool Box Rock Sliders
    Hey everyone - thanks for the feedback. This is crazy - a couple things: I have taken the TSB in, but they refuse. Toyota says "it's normal", even though I have documentation showing that a Toyota Master tech drove it and acknowledged the problem.

Second issue: in CA, you have to have 4 repair attempts without resolution to become a presumed lemon. I have been in 3 times. Frist time: They said the trans fluid was low, added fluid, vibration was better. In fact, it did nothing. Second attempt @ Dealer 1 - master tech drove it, Toyota said to send me home and tell me it was normal. Third attempt, master tech at dealer 2 drove it, acknowledged a problem, Toyota responded the same way. Now, Toyota won't allow me to have it looked at again under warranty (notice how it's been 3 times, not 4 - now they won't even take it in)...

I'm being bullied by Toyota and I can't figure out why. A percentage of these trucks do this, Toyota knows about it, and yet they refuse to help...

TIM

11. Aug 31, 2014 at 4:34 AM
    Rambone71

Rambone71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North east
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma off road
    Go to LEMON LAW... I handle the LEMON LAW In my state. You can apply no problem based on what you stated... You only need 4 times if they will repair it. What they are not telling you is if they refuse to repair it your automatically elligible...

12. Aug 31, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    darkfader

darkfader Will this fit without rubbing?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW
    i have the vibes between 10 and 25 mph in my '13, but it's a 6 speed and manuals are not included in the TSB. i'll be complaining about it when i take it in for the 20k service, which won't be long, but i don't anticipate getting anything done about it. :(

13. Aug 31, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    Rambone71

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North east
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma off road
    They just added the 6 speeds to the tsb July 28th 2014...

14. Aug 31, 2014 at 5:48 AM
    darkfader

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW

OH! i didn't realize that. thanks for the headsup. have the PDF's in the big vibe thread been updated?

15. Aug 31, 2014 at 5:50 AM
    Rambone71

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North east
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma off road
    Here the update info.

image.jpg

16. Aug 31, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    darkfader

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW
    thank you very much rambone!

17. Aug 31, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    Rambone71

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North east
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma off road
    No problem. I've been a master tech for over 20years. I now am the states expert for lemon law and auto investigations. If I can help just ask!!

18. Aug 31, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    MtnBiker831

MtnBiker831 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 Trd Pro
    Audio, lots of it
    I have this issue and the first time I brought it in they had a tech ride with me who confirmed the issue, but when I picked it up they didn't do anything and said it was normal. I then called back with the tsb and they ordered the motor mounts but nothing else. They installed the motor mounts and said it was fixed but driving out of the parking lot it was clear the issue wasn't fixed. They now have the rest of the parts on order but for some reason it will take a month to get all the parts for it? This seems odd to me but I will wait for the parts. Frustrating issue, this is my first toyota and I am very unimpressed on how this has been handled compared to the fords I have owned previously. And them saying its "normal" is hilarious, I have owned jeeps with long arm kits (kinda like long travel for jeeps) that never had any vibrations like this. Not to mention this should never be an issue on a truck this deep into production (8 years + in 2013).

19. Aug 31, 2014 at 6:59 AM
    Rambone71

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North east
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma off road
    The bigger issue is it still won't be fixed after they do it all. It's a huge mask. The vib will still be there they just put dampners all over the truck so you can't feel it.

20. Aug 31, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    adrenalnjunky

adrenalnjunky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    billie 5100's front @ .85"
    I hate dealership service departments. The wifes G6 GT was under warranty and developed a pop in the steering that you could both hear and feel if you moved the steering more than about 5 degrees in either direction. I mean it happened every single time - completely replicable, and very noticeable.

Take the car in for that and one other small issue, they call me that it is ready to go. I sit down and test the steering - "POP". I didn't even remove the car from the service area. Walked back in and talked to the service manager lady and tell her the steering isn't fixed. She looks it up - oh the guy that worked on the car says "No trouble found/Unable to replicate". I made her go sit down and replicate it. Then I made her get the tech out. Had him sit down and replicate it. His reply: "Oh you were talking about THAT pop? We can fix that. There was a TSB about the intermediate steering shaft on these."

I honestly about lost my $hit right there. How do you get a work order stating "Popping when turning steering wheel", test it, ignore it, and then know that there's a TSB and what the issue is? Then send the car back to the customer? It took him another 30 mins to fix.

Products Discussed in

To Top