1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliders or Nerf Bars

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Trebor314, Jun 21, 2014.

?

Slilders or Nerf Bars - best protection from door dings

Poll closed Jul 21, 2014.
  1. Sliders

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Nerf Bars

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Jun 21, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    Trebor314

Trebor314 [OP] Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma XCab
    Hey Forum!!

Introduced myself over in the new members section and the conversation started down the road that would probably get us kicked out of there so I thought I would save the moderators the hassle!!

I wheel pretty much to scout for hunting season and then for hunting season. Pretty much dirt county roads with the occasional route up a 4 wheel trail to spot. I feel the bigger danger to damage the truck is from the mall princesses who cant seem to center their vehicle in their own darn stall. The new Taco saga is over there if you care to read all that!
    (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new-members/321394-back-game.html)

So my question is, in your opinion, which will provide better protection from door dings, a slider or nerf bar.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. Jun 21, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Sliders!! But they only keep the front doors of most cars off your truck. The rear doors are the real problem .

3. Jun 21, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    Trebor314

Trebor314 [OP] Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma XCab
    Thanks again! Originally I searched for Sliders vs Nerf and got no returns. Then I post and it shows similar threads.

Going with sliders. Just need to decide which ones now.

4. Jun 21, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    I have nerfs......GET SLIDERS.

5. Jun 21, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    sliders serve as a dual purpose... rocker/ door protection and can be used as steps to get in or out of the truck. The tube steps hang to low to give protection against door dings.

People are careless especially when its not their property, it annoys me to no end. So the best thing to do is equip your truck to protect itself.

I was sitting in my truck once at the store and this girl parked next to me. She couldn't see me in my truck because my windows are tinted dark enough. It was a bit windy out that day so, when she opened her door it swung hard against my truck (slider). I could see her through the passenger side mirror and her reaction was "careless", she didn't even get her door off my truck, she just kept gathering her things. I got out of my truck and walked around to confront her. When she realized I saw what happened and that I was the owner, Her face had a blank stare and before I could say anything she said "The wind did it". That statement alone made me cringe so, I said "first off you need to take responsibility and not blame the wind for something you did and Second, there isn't any damage to my truck but i can see a dent on your door where it hit my steel steps (I knew she wouldn't know what a slider was). Next time show some respect for other peoples property." Once she realized there was a good size dent on her door she was upset, even called her husband to ask what she should do because it really bothered her. I felt bad after but in that moment I was so sick of peoples carelessness for others. The odd thing about it was she was about 40 years old and I'm 10 years younger. I guess some people never learn...

6. Jun 21, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    I had Smittybilt Nerf bars on my '09. The only reason I had them was due to the previous owner installing them. Knowing what I know now, I'd go sliders for sure. In fact its my next mod.

7. Jun 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Like all the other responses, sliders... Those places that make them can even customize the angle that they tip up. Mine are flat with fill plates as I use them more as a step than a 'slider'. Here's a pict of mine that I got from SOS.

image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top