1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems with 09 in heavy rain??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robocop, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Apr 10, 2009 at 2:22 AM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    Did not really know exactly where to put this question however it does relate to the newer models so I will try here. Not sure if it is a tire problem or something more of just bad luck however maybe others can help me out.

Just before I bought my new 09 Taco I was driving home in very heavy rain. I was in a Frontier V6 and running maybe 55 mph due to the incredible amount of rain falling. I saw a new Tacoma 4 door 4x4 moving up beside me going maybe 65 mph. I remember looking over thinking "man thats a sweet truck" and he passed me on my right side.

No sooner had I watched him pass he suddenly began to spin wildly and crossed the median sideways. He spun about 3 times however never rolled it and seemed to just pull back across and continued driving......much slower this time by the way.

Maybe 3 days later I was on duty and went to a wreck call and it was another one car wreck involving a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 double cab. The driver said he was driving along and suddenly went into a spin while driving in heavy rain. This guy was not as lucky as the other driver as he smacked the guard rail at about 55 mph.

Tonight on my way home it was windy and raining hard. It may have been my imagination however it did feel like my truck was very unsteady in heavy rain. My 99 model was always rock solid and I am curious if others with newer models have noticed heavy rain issues and a hydroplane problem??

Is it a problem with the factory tires or maybe the weight of the truck or is it even a problem at all for others? Maybe speed and driving skill had something to do with the two trucks I have seen wipe out in the rain however it did make me wonder. So basically have others noticed problems driving at highway speeds in heavy rain and if so do you have a regular cab, access cab or double cab?

Crazy thing was only after a few days of watching that new Taco spinning like crazy across the interstate I was in the dealer buying one myself. I did think back wondering if I would ever have the same issues however none the less I smiled when I signed that paperwork....I really do like my new truck all the same.

2. Apr 10, 2009 at 3:40 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Probably just hydroplaning. They were going too fast in the wrong lane at the wrong time and hit a puddle and/or caught a gust of wind. ANY vehicle can hydroplane right off the road when that happens.

Accipiter13 likes this.
  3. Apr 10, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Going that fast in hard rain...only calls for disaster.

That's definately hydroplaning.

There's a lot of factors involved with hydroplaning. Tires (type of tires, tread left on the tire, tire pressure, etc). Weight of the vehicle ( the heavier vehicles have an advanatage). Stuff on the road.... like oils & such, mixed with the rain water can make it worse).

That's another reason why I put my truck in 4WD in hard rains - gives a little bit more controllability in those situations (and I go slower too).

4. Apr 10, 2009 at 4:28 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    If you have the donflop tires they are the problem. The worst tires I have ever had on any of my vehicles.:mad:

5. Apr 10, 2009 at 4:30 AM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    I am sure there were many factors involved however it was a little weird I saw two incidents so close together and both were involving the same type vehicles. At first I thought it may be simply the design,or size to weight ratio, of the double cab. I also thought it may be the factory tires as mine seem to be a little small/skinny for this size truck.

I know that to hydroplane is unavoidable at times however was wondering if our choice of trucks were more vulnerable to this danger. I worked in the tire industry for 10 years before my current job and saw some tires that were better in water than others. With the new Tacomas having what seems to be thinner tires,and more of a hwy type tread, in theory they should do better than most in wet hwy driving (if I remember correct) It seems I recall my co-workers ,of my old job, always saying bigger (fatter) tires were more prone to hydroplane in water.

Again maybe it was just bad luck and I agree that regardless of the vehicle slowing down is best in severe rain. I was hoping it was not a common problem for our trucks and it looks as if it is really not.....I found no others with problems on a search of the forum and thats a good sign.

6. Apr 10, 2009 at 4:36 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I have the stock Dunlop AT20's on my '09 Taco and they do just fine. They are very smooth and very quiet. I do not find any peculiar handling problems when driving in heavy rain.

7. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd say you are more prone to a hydroplane issue with any rear wheel drive- If you get any slip or moment about the front end the rear will be hard to control and make the situation go form bad to worse.

You are right-Slow and steady wins the race- Good tires help.

8. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Well, one thing that can affect trucks (and other tall vehicles) more is gusty crosswinds. Catch a good hard sideways gust when traction is challenged by water, snow, and/or speed and there you go pinwheeling off the road. BTW, I like the OEM Dunlops on my 2009 just fine. They have decent wet traction and I don't do serious wheelin'. So they work for me.

9. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    Driving to fast, and shitty tires= Spin haha

10. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    09TRD

09TRD it is what it is

Member:
    Oakwood GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Not yet,
    I was actually just thinking about this this morning. I have always drove a full size truck until I got my tacoma and I have noticed it is affected a bit more by wind and rain. That's just do to size and rear end weight I'm sure. I am in no way dissapointed in it though. Putting a good fiberglass bed cover on the back would probably help the rain issues some by adding weight? I guess? I have the stock bfg"s by the way.

11. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    What till you get about 20k or so on them, they will be completely useless in the snow and heavy rain.

12. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    same way with those shitty rugged fails. those tires hydroplaned like no other that i had ever had....we besides the uniroyal laredo cross countries the dealer put on the 04 when i bought it. bad tire for a truck...period.

13. Apr 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    Thanks for the headsup. I will keep an eye on them. My last two rides I have had Uniroyals. Laredos on my 01 S-10 Blazer and Tiger Paws on my Cherokee. Both did very well. I got 60k out of the first set on the Blazer.

We shall see how the Dunlops do.

14. Dec 11, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    Toocoolracing

Toocoolracing New Member

Member:

So it’s 2021 and I was just looking for this same question to see if others have the same experience or am I being paranoid.

I have a 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road version. First I’m a pretty good and experience driver…I can drift cars (on wet roads), race motorcycles, etc….I was driving my Tacoma in fairly heavy rain and I noticed it seemed to be hydroplaning too easily. I could feel the steering wheel getting too light (just going straight) meanwhile I was being passed by vehicles left and right so I wasn’t driving too fast for the conditions. I guess the stock off road tires must not be good in rain at speed?

Products Discussed in

To Top