1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Shopping--What to do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Revman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    Revman

Revman [OP] Member

Member:
    Alright, this is one of those annoying threads asking members to make a decision only I can make myself....kind of.... Here's my deal....I am in the market for a Tacoma. The wife wants my 4 Runner, and told me that I can do whatever I want to the truck to make me happy. I have horror stories about aftermarket stuff that I have had done to my vehicles, and I don't want to go there again. So, I am looking to take delivery of what I really want. Must haves---TRD wheels, TRD exhaust and intake. I am not an off-roader, but want to be prepared for anything the weather might throw my way. I have looked at the Baja, but am not sure if I might want to wait for the TRD Pro--I have some time to do this right. I could even wait for a redesign--but, who knows when that will be? I have thought about adding the wheels and exhaust to a Sport or Offroad Package. Looking double cab with the short box. I am an absolute Toyota loyalist and enthusiast. Your thoughts.....

2. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Another vote for a Sport 4x4. It will do anything it sounds like you need. Mine has been perfect for my needs. I am not an off-roader, but I ski a lot, so need access to the mountains in the snowy seasons. I also have had no problems getting places for camping, etc.

3. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    if you go DCSB, go with the trd off road.... if DCLB go sport.... sport shouldnt even come in a DCSB config imo.

4. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    I'm selling my '07 DC off-road and getting the Pro when it is available. Going to order with the TRD cat-back exhaust and some other upgrades.

5. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    Revman

Revman [OP] Member

Member:
    Why no DCSB?

6. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    Revman

Revman [OP] Member

Member:
    If he Bajas are going int he 38K range, should we expect a similar price point for the Pro? Same hardware, just tuned differently IMO. Any insights on when this thing is going to become available? My dealership has heard nothing.

7. Jun 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    Revman

Revman [OP] Member

Member:
    Your input is already appreciated....another thought--seems random, but stay with me....the thought occurred to me that every time I go to buy a computer, I am not buying for what I need, but what I might need in the future.....What if, I decided that I wanted to start offroading? Would I be giving anything up in terms of a street ride if I went OR? I have heard that the TRD Pro has a better road feel that the Baja or OR? Thoughts...

8. Jun 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    Revman

Revman [OP] Member

Member:
    Would I miss the locker if I went Sport and decided to go off road?

9. Jun 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    If you are not going to off road and just want to be prepared buy a dcsb SR5 with something like a tow package on it. Oh, well, I just went and looked at your post again and you said you have to have TRD exhaust and wheels. So just buy a Sport if you have to have a TRD. You make the decision I'm sure everything will be OK.

10. Jun 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    I've got my sales guy all over this. He said they are getting the brochures in July and the truck will be later in Sept. The suspension is upgraded even further than the Baja with 2" lift on the front and 1.5" in the rear. Toyota-branded Eibach coils in the front with long travel Bilsteins and remote reservoir Bilsteins in the rear. No idea on the colors yet but it will be modeled strictly after the TRD Sport with the scooped hood and color-matched bumpers, grill and door handles. I've already told him I'm taking one without question.

11. Jun 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Revman

Revman [OP] Member

Member:
    Dunno man.....Certainly on the bumper, grill surround, and scoop. The prototype still has black handles and mirrors. Colors are inferno, black, and white. How close is the suspension set up to the Baja?

12. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    Yes, the footnotes on the official Toyota site state the demo units are subject to change. Sales guy at Bill Dube Toyota says all color matched but he also said it can be all ordered customized including de-badged. The demos sent out were those three colors but there's no official word on production colors yet. If it is those three, I'm getting Black... I cannot stand a white vehicle and I'm not keen on the "orange" truck. I'd LOVE to see this in Spruce Mica!

The coils on the Baja are not Eibach and provide 1.5" over OEM, the Pro will be a full 2" lift in the front. The rear will be 1.5 vs. 3/4" in the rear with the reservoir shocks. Now, I'm just a messenger (don't shoot me!) telling exactly what I'm being fed... ;)

As soon as I have mine, I'll be sure to post what I know and any pictures or measurements that are requested.

13. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    Revman

Revman [OP] Member

Member:
    Gotcha. I appreciate the information. More than I'm getting from my dealership. I am definitely in the hunt here--trying to balance waiting with jumping right now on a Baja or Sport. Right now I wait so that I can work with definitive information.

14. Jun 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    Maksimus54

Maksimus54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD OR
    Get the sport with a s/c and be done. It will do more than you'll ever realistically encounter. I bought a TRD OR and I don't wheel. I regret it to a degree because for 07 it meant I didn't get the LSD. A limited slip would be far more useful than the locker has ever been for me.

15. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    because if your buying a 4x4 TRD sport DCSB you may as well get the Off road as you can get it in the DCSB config but then get the much added benefit of the rear locker and atrac.

16. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    esse10

esse10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05prerunner SR5 DBLCAB
    If you are not afraid to do your own repairs than I would go with a Salvage title truck ....ie 2011-2012 . you could save thousands of dollars just because of the salvage title. Of course you would test drive it and get the history on the vehicle first before buying it and also get it from a private individual selling his truck, not a business. A friend of mine found a truck that had been stolen, then bought back by another individual as a salvage title, then sold to him at a really really good price, nothing wrong with the engine or frame. Those are the good buys but are hard to find you just have to keep looking.

17. Jul 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM
    mxchic621

mxchic621 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    14 TX BAJA Double Cab 4X4
    Method Double standards 285/75/16 Falken Rocky Mt tires. Toytec front spacer for Baja Suspension. Flush mounts on rear bumper. Past: 2007 TRD_Offroad Ext cab Tacoma 2wd.
    not much changes on the TRD Pro vs Baja other than cosmetic changes like, color match grille, bumper, and comes with hood scoop. I honestly feel like I should have gone with a TRD Off-Road because I already want to upgrade the suspension.

18. Jul 14, 2014 at 2:14 AM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I bought a sport 4x4 and it's more than capable. I don't really have a need for the locker and I prefer the color matched body parts. My truck will also spend the majority of its life as a daily driver on the road so I wanted to get something that was comfortable on the road. Although I do plan to upgrade the suspension and lift it so I can go off road when the bug bites me.

19. Jul 14, 2014 at 2:16 AM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    Get the Offroad, have the dealer add the wheels and exhaust and get credit for the parts.:cool:

20. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    Off road or TRD Pro....:thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top