Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED Waterproof Flexible Light Bar For The Bed

Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Railwayrog is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Retired Chief Electricians Mate
Railwayrog's Tacoma Gallery
LED Waterproof Flexible Light Bar For The Bed

Checked over in the lighting section first, couldn't find anything on this subject.
So I'll ask here.
I'm thinking about installing these lights in the bed, WFLB96 series 96-LED Waterproof Flexible Light Bar ($22.95 for the cool white), http://www.superbrightleds.com/light_bars-flexible.html
I'll mount them to the bottom of my Access Roll-Up Cover rails so I'll be able to illuminated the bed at night when necessary. I figure the on/off switch to go in the locker.
Anyone do anything like this?
Or anyone found a better place to purchase LED Waterproof Flexible Light Bars.
Roger
Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about getting these ones...

LED Cargo Lighting $74.95 Blue or White
http://www.tsetruckstuff.com/cart/product.php?ptc=LLPVCL&gc=&pfc=LLP&PHPSESSID=fd998 2cee3101ef33440a25992a9cee7
Old 04-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
The only experience I have is that I am looking into a group buy for a LED bar for on top of the rear bumper/bottom of tailgate to function as a brake/reverse/turn signal. In your case I would just wire a new switch to one of the blanks to give you complete control of it
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Hey dgerm, I'm with you on the plasmaglow firestorm light bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
The only experience I have is that I am looking into a group buy for a LED bar for on top of the rear bumper/bottom of tailgate to function as a brake/reverse/turn signal. In your case I would just wire a new switch to one of the blanks to give you complete control of it
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railwayrog View Post
Is there a better picture of the light bar itself? Can't really tell how many lights or how it mounts.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I guess the only relevancy to your post I have with the group buy is the installation. I know with the plasmaglow you have to run a constant wire to the battery as well as wire it to the different signal wires
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
I'll wait a little while, then I'll most likely buy it a AutoAnything, maybe I can find a coupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Ya I guess the only relevancy to your post I have with the group buy is the installation. I know with the plasmaglow you have to run a constant wire to the battery as well as wire it to the different signal wires
Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinkin about doin the LED strip from superbrightleds.com which at the bottom right page of the link you posted.
it comes with the 2 sided tape and there are 3 LEDs per 2 in. strip. The strip is narrow enough to fit under the rail system.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Fam/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Fam/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Fam/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
For cool white 38" strip, $22.95 for superbrightleds.com versus $38.99 at oznium.com
Not sure if the oznium are better quality than the superbrightleds
But this is what I'm trying to figure out the best bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery_30824 View Post
Old 04-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railwayrog View Post
For cool white 38" strip, $22.95 for superbrightleds.com versus $38.99 at oznium.com
Not sure if the oznium are better quality than the superbrightleds
But this is what I'm trying to figure out the best bang for the buck.
not sure. will have to compare the specs.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
I need something impact resistant so i need to change out the ones i have. The problem i had with mine is i cracked one and now water is getting in.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
One thing to remember is that the placement that you speak of, the spot above the bumper and below the tailgate...It has the access hole for the spare tire crank handle.

I was hoping to put a smaller light bar there, the one that is on a newer 05+ GM dually. I've put one on all my trucks but the Tacoma has put the whoa on this thought. The nice thing about the GM light bar is that it's L.E.D, sealed and you can splice right into the license plate light for a marker light only effect. It's still to long and will cover the crank hole. They are a nice and subtle light. Oh well....I have yet to give up. I know the dealer wants close to $85 bucks but GMParts.com gets $15 last time I checked.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Has anybody out there dealt with this access hole issue? And is there a way to work around it? I don't what to spend $150 to discover I can't install it properly.

[quote=TicTacOma;526551]One thing to remember is that the placement that you speak of, the spot above the bumper and below the tailgate...It has the access hole for the spare tire crank handle.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #17
Tacoma2008 is on a distinguished road

Tacoma2008's Tacoma Gallery
This is the version from StreetGLow. I had to trim the plastic with my Dremel to ensure hole access.
Hope these pics help