1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My taco seems... different

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sonzie, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Jun 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    Sonzie

Sonzie [OP] taco newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Atlanta/Auburn
    Vehicle:
    white 2010 Tacoma 5-Lug SR5 with access cab
    -Plasti-dipped grille -blacked out logos -3" Toytec AAL and Bilstein shocks in rear -2.75" fat bobs front spacer lift -Bushwacker pocket style fender flares -Black box removal -KMC Rockatar rims -31" Toyo Open Country A/T tires
    I'm pretty pissed actually but i cant return the truck so I'll have to make the best of what I bought. Good news is theres a lot more room for improvement so I will have a nice hobby for a long while

2. Jun 28, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.

Not really, out here in California there is a shortage of 5-luggers new. They are all getting bought up by companies before they hit the lots (because the Ranger/ Colorado's are no longer in production) Every dealer out here in California was adding $1-2K dealer packs above MSRP, and if you got a sticker deal you did good.

Op could probably sell that white 5-lugger out here in Cali and make a profit, then go back and get what he wanted in the first place.

To be honest, I never wanted a 2014, 2.7 PreRunner, but got forced into it, as I had sold my '13 FX4, EcoBoost and NEEDED truck now. Wanted a 2014, base, AC, auto, Super White, 5-lug, but every dealer told me good luck, they are all sold. So I had to spend slightly more than I wanted to (My budget was $22K max) and I ended up spending $25K to get a base, four door, 2.7, PreRunner. I'm happy, and the truck is rock solid. but It Is painfully slow (due to 4x4 like tires & wheels) and the added weight of the double cab body. It also gets crappier mileage because of the higher ground clearance (more under carriage drag) and it has shorter gears numerically, which impacts mpg's. Yes IMO it looks better than the 5-lugs, but I was in need of function over form for my work application.

I prefer the 5-lug for work, as it saves my back lifting crap & tools into the box, over the 4x4 & PreRunner versions. Also I believe 5-luggers have a taller gear ratio for fuel savings, and get slightly better mileage than those of us with PreRunners or 4x4's.

Op if this truck isn't what you were looking for, I highly suggest keeping it, or turning it back to 100% stock and making a profit, and buying what you wanted in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  3. Jun 29, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    D.Holliday

D.Holliday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport SR5 4x4
    Extang Trifecta Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover|Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD|3" Revtek Lift w/AAL|Pro Comp 7069|285x70r17 Federal Couragia MT's|Extra D-Rings Mod|Anzo Black Headlights|Corbra 75 CB w/3' Cobra Antenna & 4' Firestix Antenna|DTRL's Mod|L.A. Angels Sticker Mod|Smoked Aftermarket Tail lights
    Excellent attitude OP! :thumbsup:

If you can't/don't want to trade it back in or find a buyer, look at your possibilities and work from there. Nothing is impossible. There are guys on here that make the "impossible" possible with these trucks all the time. Do a little research, ask a few questions on the forum and go from there. Tacoma's are by far some of the best well built trucks on the road, so you're already winning out. Have fun with it, half the excitement with modding these trucks is figuring it out and appreciating the end product!

4. Jun 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    Half Caf

Half Caf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    2009: 5 Lugs, 5 speeds
    A five lug actually looks pretty sweet with a lift and some larger tires. Granted it won't be an off-road machine, but you can still have plenty of fun with one :rolleyes:

TW has a whole 5-lug section, too! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/

5. Jun 29, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    Just go slow with your mods, you don't want to screw anything up.
    There are those that just go crazy and when something gets screwed up they trade it in.

Then some guy comes along and will see a nice looking used Tacoma on a car lot and buy it.
    They think they are getting a great deal until they get it home are find all these screwed up mods on it.
    Sometimes things are just better as they are.

Next time you are at Auburn show them the finger, Roll Tide.:D :p

6. Jun 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    Sonzie

Sonzie [OP] taco newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Atlanta/Auburn
    Vehicle:
    -Plasti-dipped grille -blacked out logos -3" Toytec AAL and Bilstein shocks in rear -2.75" fat bobs front spacer lift -Bushwacker pocket style fender flares -Black box removal -KMC Rockatar rims -31" Toyo Open Country A/T tires
    in regards to this ^ post, this is the lift that I bought:
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Bilstein-Adjustable-lift-kit-with-5100-shocks_p_132.html

7. Jun 29, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    Sonzie

Sonzie [OP] taco newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Atlanta/Auburn
    Vehicle:
    obviously I didnt really go slow enough with my mods so far seeing as I bought a Toytec lift... But its not that hard of a mistake to make cuz A) I didnt know that a 5 lug tacoma was like a completely different truck and B) The "Toytec Lifts Suspension parts do not fit 5 wheel lug Tacoma’s" warning is pretty easy to miss cuz its only on one page of the website and I easily clicked past it.

oh, also, four numers and two words: 2, 0, 1, 4, iron, bowl :p

8. Jun 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Wow... Buys 5 lugger thinking they are all the same then buys a lift for a 6 lugger.... Op what do you do for work??

Not trying to be a dick but usually when you spend a bunch of money on something a little research goes a long way.

Make the best of it I guess... Honestly I would sell it and get a 6 lugger and go from there rather than messing up the 5 lugger

9. Jun 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM
    Sonzie

Sonzie [OP] taco newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Atlanta/Auburn
    Vehicle:
    lol, cut meh some slack here, this is my first time buying a truck and first time modding one too and people don't really talk about the 5 lugger and the fact that it even exists none the less that its different than a regular 6 lug taco. When I bought it I was in a hurry cuz I needed something to drive quick (my last car was totaled) and at a reasonable price. Up until a few days ago I had no idea that the fact that my truck had 5 lugs rather than 6 meant anything. People talk about 4WD and 2WD and the prerunner and SR5 and TRD so on so fourth but the 5 lug isn't really mentioned.

And for the record, I am a freshman in college majoring in engineering and in the past I have led a team to build a robot and built multiple robots on my high school robotics team so rest assured I am not actually as stupid as I may seem from my mistakes here... Just not experienced in the matter of trucks and I seem to be learning the hard way. Nonetheless, I am learning.

HeyHoLet'sGo likes this.
  10. Jun 30, 2014 at 1:13 AM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    You bought the wrong truck for your purpose. 6 lug gets lifted and 5 lugs get lowered. I hope you didn't pay prerunner price for that 5 lug.

You should just lower it and get xrunner wheels and call it a day.

11. Jun 30, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
  12. Jun 30, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    you can still mod to lift, you can get her to about the same height as a factory TRD 6 lugger...

spindle drop up front, AAL in back, different shocks, good to go...

13. Jun 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    SleazyPetey

SleazyPetey Popeyes > KFC

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab
    Yeah, I contacted Bushwacker and they told me Bushwackers will fit a 5-lug base model. You just have to drill in holes on the bottom because 5-lugs did not come with stock fenders.

Edit: When I mean drill holes on the bottom, I meant you have to do some drilling in the inner wheel wells, but other than that, it would fit.

P.S. Go Dawgs

14. Jul 1, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau

Exactly. I had a 1979 corolla fast-back SR-5.
    I had thought it had something to do with it being a 5 speed at the time. Now they stick it on anything. 4 spd autos, or my 6 spd manual.

15. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:51 PM
    D.Holliday

D.Holliday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport SR5 4x4
    Extang Trifecta Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover|Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD|3" Revtek Lift w/AAL|Pro Comp 7069|285x70r17 Federal Couragia MT's|Extra D-Rings Mod|Anzo Black Headlights|Corbra 75 CB w/3' Cobra Antenna & 4' Firestix Antenna|DTRL's Mod|L.A. Angels Sticker Mod|Smoked Aftermarket Tail lights
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top