Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bypassing the A/C compressor

Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
calmwaters3030 is on a distinguished road

Name: Don
calmwaters3030's Tacoma Gallery
Bypassing the A/C compressor

Does anyone know of a pulley and bracket system you can purchase to bypass the A/C compessor on a 2008 Tacoma?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmwaters3030 View Post
Does anyone know of a pulley and bracket system you can purchase to bypass the A/C compessor on a 2008 Tacoma?
Why?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #3

I want to bypass my A/C compressor
Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
nickonfire700 is just really nicenickonfire700 is just really nicenickonfire700 is just really nicenickonfire700 is just really nice

Name: Nick
nickonfire700's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a 4 cyl, PM tooter. He bypassed both his A/C and his power steering.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Why?
Cause it's cold in Canukistan.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Cause it's cold in Canukistan.
Meh...
Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pull the Air Conditioner Clutch Relay Fuse. Then it is just a pulley.

Under the hood, 10 ampere fuse labled AC.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
What about the defroster?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Why?
X2

Quote:
Invalid.
In all seriousness tho whats your purpose?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFTRD View Post
What about the defroster?
It is part of the AC. It will not come on then either.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #11

The the compressor dosent work and the bearing is starting to squeal. I dont use A/C so I would like to remove the entire compressor.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
You might be able to bypass your a/c compressor with just a shorter serpentine belt. If you can measure the difference with the a/c compressor and without the difference should be how much shorter a belt you will need. A good auto parts store who know about belts will be a big help. Good luck with your project.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
It is part of the AC. It will not come on then either.
Exactly my point.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #14

That would be great. I'll have my mechanic check it out
Old 06-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage difference will be very minimal without AC or even a 'dead' AC pulley.

I'd just leave it alone and not use the AC feature, instead of pulling a fuse or using a smaller belt.... IMHO
Old 06-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #16

The Bearing is making noise all the time A/c off or on. I dont want to fix the pump if I don't have to I.m not worried about gas milage or horsepower. Just looking for the cheapest way to fix the problem
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
OCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OCNutty's Tacoma Gallery
first make sure you're not hearing an idler or the tensioner bearing.

if it's a 4cyl, they have a non-ac belt option; may fit w/o removal depending on how the belt is routed.

Per my 4L. '12 as comparison (assuming the front engine config is the same as 08), looks like you can pull the compressor and probably also the lower idler beneath it.... the new belt would then travel from the alternator pulley directly to the drive pulley. May be able to keep the lower idler but don't think you can leave the compressor in place.
Suggestion: Permanently MARK the original serpentine belt Before you remove it. Mark it on the low point of the drive pulley, say 6 o'clock and mark the belt at the 12 o'clock on the ALTERNATOR pulley. This allows measure of the length of the belt used for the a/c, from specific points on the drive pulley to the alternator pulley with the a/c equipment in the way.
Then when the parts are off, use a flexible measure to measure the new length from same points on the ac pulley to drive pulley. Subtract from the original belt marks, and that's the length to reduce the replacement belt by..
Got to mark it BEFORE parts removal as you want the tensioner in to show installed length.
No additional parts should be needed.
Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #18

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFTRD View Post
Exactly my point.
What would that point be exactly?

For many many many years cars did not have the defroster mode connected to the AC System at all.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #19

Yes I will identify where the sound is coming from first then decide what I will do to fix the problem. They sell bypass pulleys for othere vehicles, Just wondering if anyone has heard of any for Tacomas.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #20
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Bearing is making noise all the time A/c off or on. I dont want to fix the pump if I don't have to I.m not worried about gas milage or horsepower. Just looking for the cheapest way to fix the problem
I'd bet it's not the A/C but an idler. If you unplug the electrical connector at the pump it will just free wheel and will not engage. It has an electric clutch in it.