1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight failures

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Schinkey10689, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Jun 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    Schinkey10689

Schinkey10689 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Hey guys,

I have a 2009 DCLB Prerunner with stock (unmoved) headlights and I have had headlights burn out on me multiple times in the past year.

The stock bulbs went out in June 2013, with about 75k mi on the truck, and since then I have had 2 sets of bulbs go out. The first set went out relatively quickly and I chalked that up to me being cheap and buying crappy bulbs, but the second set that I bout were Sylvania Superstar Ultra 9003/HB2 bulbs that I was told are pretty good bulbs.

I loved how bright they were but only getting about 6 months of life out of them is completely unacceptable.

My question is this:

Is there anything that could be wrong with my electrical system that is causing my headlights to be burning out prematurly? I have not had any other bulbs burn out, just my low beam headlights.

JSYK: I always run with my headlights and fog lights on all the time. There is just under 90k miles on the truck and my right headlight seems to be going out before my left. There are absolutely no leaks in the light it is bone dry inside, and the connection is fine as well, I use marine grade electrical grease on the connection as well.

Any help would be thankful.

2. Jun 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Assuming the low beam fuses are okay? Couldn't hurt to change them out just in case. Other than that I can't think of a reason that the lows would burn out without the highs burning out.

3. Jun 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    styk

styk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    Inferno 17 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    in-channel vent visors
    high voltage? check your voltage while the truck is at idle and reved up to 3000 or so.

4. Jun 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    Schinkey10689

Schinkey10689 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    The fuses look good, I may change them out just to be sure.

Voltage at idle is 13.86-13.88, 3000 RPM is 13.78-13.84

5. Jun 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It isn't the fuses and the voltages you posted are just fine and normal.

The low beams are different elements than the high beams. The low beams run most of the time and will normally blow before the high beams.

Did you touch the bulb glass with bare skin when installing it. The oils from your skin will cause premature bulb failure.

These Sylvania Superstar Ultra 9003/HB bulbs are known to have a short life. Great lighting but very short life.

Get a set of OEM or equal bulbs. Wear rubber or nitrile gloves when installing them. Do not contact the glass with bare skin, if you do clean the bulb with 90% isopropal alchohol.

6. Jun 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Jimmy's right - the silverstar and other similar bulbs have poor lifespan. Get a pair of Osram halogens and you should be OK.

Another thing to check is your battery and connections - a load test is in order for the battery as a sulphated battery will not absorb voltage spikes like a good battery and lead to poor filament life. Same with the terminals - make sure they're clean and tight for the same reason.

7. Jun 28, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    The stock headlight bulbs in my 2012 were Osrams* which are German made. You'll probably get the best life out of them.

*["They're made in Germany, you know the Germans always make good stuff..." -Vince for "Sham-Wow"]

Products Discussed in

To Top