1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil change mistake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StandingCow, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Jan 15, 2015 at 10:18 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Good deal. So the filter was really on that tight, that you needed a screwdriver to pry it loose?

2. Jan 16, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    nighthawk33

nighthawk33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off-Road
    yup....you're not a real man until you break something really expensive by doing something really dumb

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

... Teddy Roosevelt

3. Jan 16, 2015 at 7:40 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Glad your oil sample came back fine. I would add a quart of lucas to my next oil change. Dont know how people here feel about oil additives but I have always had good luck with lucas oil additive. Had a mazda protege with over 500,000 miles on it. Always added lucas.

4. Jan 16, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I've never been a fan of the additives if you're using a good synthetic oil. If the manufacturer of the synthetic is any good there's likely a very good additive package already in the oil. There is probably a tipping point somewhere when you have to much in the way of additives and not enough oil. That's all my opinion though, I have no data suggesting that excessive additives will hurt an engine.

5. Jan 16, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    Ditto, happened to a guy I know, had it done at the dealer, they left the drain plug loose, lost a lot of oil, light came on, had it towed back, a lot of arguing, he got a free extended warranty out of it. several thousand miles and no problem. Good Luck,, ya got lucky

6. Jan 16, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    You have to be careful though, sometimes running with no oil for a bit can cause minor wear that will only cause an issue several thousand miles down the road. Your buddy did the right thing.

7. Jan 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Nope, was using a crappy oil filter wrench... it seems to puncture and tear the metal... gotta get a different type.

8. Jan 17, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    Glad your truck is ok. But how does having your oil tested tell you if you did any harm to the engine. This may be common knowledge to most, but I'm clueless.

9. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    asuchemist

asuchemist My Hamstrings Hurt!

Member:
    South South Dirty Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport V6, 23' TRD Pro 4Runner, 23' Tacoma TRD Pro
    NONE
    Don't over tighten the filter. Never use a filter wrench.

10. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:36 PM
    MightyYota

MightyYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Texas Edition 4x4
    ARE CX Camper
    When an oil analysis is done, it looks for several things in the oil, including trace elements of metal (copper, aluminum, bronze, cast iron) as well as other items such as viscosity, silica, et cetera.

If there is excessive amounts of aluminum, or bronze, or brass, there is metal-to-metal contact most likely and something inside the motor is coming apart. Usually, you would want to have an analysis done every oil change and look for trends long term. In a case such as this, a much higher amount of the above mentioned metals would indicate an "Oh SH*T!" situation.

Here is a great website for learning, and there are much better explanations that what I gave:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

To the OP - glad to hear things look good so far! And a lot of people have said it - if you haven't made a mistake or two while wrenching, chances are you aren't wrenching enough! I swear, if I'm working on a project and don't end up bleeding I missed a step somewhere ....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top