1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Tacoma. Brake issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Petejoe, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jun 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM
    Petejoe

Petejoe [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello,
    Been a while for me here.
    2005 Tacoma. Mushy brakes. Too much free play. Been to the Toyota garage. They installed a new brake booster. No change. They played with it for weeks and called it good or gave up. Still too much free play and mushy. Took it home to a local reputable garage. They installed an ABS module and also played around with it... Still no change. At a loss.
    Have a notion to trade it in on another.. :)

2. Jun 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    did you check wheel bearing?

I had my brakes go mushy due to my bearing taking a crap.

3. Jun 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    Petejoe

Petejoe [OP] Member

Member:
    Nope.
    Ok that's one option. Thank you.
    Any other ideas. I open to everything.:eek:
    PJ

4. Jun 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Is this a newly purchased truck or have you had it a while and it just started doing this? If it's a newly purchased truck I would suggest checking the length of the booster pushrod. If it's too short you'll have to push the brake pedal quite a bit before it does anything. And of course if it's too long it'll engage the brakes all the time. If you've had it a while and the brakes have just deteriorated check the adjustment of the rear drums and make sure you have fresh and good quality brake fluid in it. it absorbs water and causes all kinds of issues eventually. Change it every couple years.

5. Jun 30, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    wannabetrd

wannabetrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3inch front 2inch rear lift with add a leaf and extended brake lines trd exhaust
    Check and see if the rear brakes are properly adjusted out of adjustment rear drums will cause a low or soft pedal

6. Jul 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    Petejoe

Petejoe [OP] Member

Member:
    Bought this truck new. Been a problem for a while. Was told by the Toyota serviceman he double checked the Pushrod length when he installed the new Booster. The problems existed before the booster was installed. They thought that was the problem. I ended up taking it to another Toyota dealership this morning. I will keep u updated on their findings and suggest everyone's possible fixes here. thanks!

7. Jul 1, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  8. Jul 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    . Properly/manually adjust the rear brakes
    . Replace the front flexible rubber brake lines for braided stainless lines
    . Flush the brake fluid for fresh stuff

9. Jul 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    If the front wheel bearings are OK, then they need to make sure the rear shoes are adjusted correctly, don't have bent shoe webs, and are assembled correctly. Provided there are no external fluid leaks, then the master cylinder is the next possible culprit in line.

10. Jul 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    I have a 2005 taco and just fixed your exact same issue yesterday. When i bought the truck, pedal was mushy but if you pumped it, it would stiffen up (thats what she said!!). that means the master cylinder was bad. Replaced that, but pedal was still mushy and didnt stiffen up anymore. Weird. Then i put new shoes in the back, and also put in a new spring kit along with the shoes. Totally fixed my problem.

I also adjusted them properly because typically the auto adjuster doesnt usually do it's job back there. That was the issue, improperly adjusted rear brakes. I was all nervous that my ABS system was acting up, i needed new brake lines, new brake booster, all these other things but i was totally overthinking it. I didnt think it would make much difference because most of the braking power is up front, but i was wrong. My truck brakes like it should now. Granted there is still a little more travel in the pedal than some other trucks, but i know this thing brakes like it should now.

If i wanted to get crazy i could upgrade the lines to steel braided, but i am happy with how it brakes now. Hope that helps you too! Keep us posted.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  11. Jul 8, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    Petejoe

Petejoe [OP] Member

Member:
    Yes,
    The rear brake adjustment was the problem.
    Man, I really cant believe this vehicle went through two service garages and neither found this problem. One was a Toyota garage and the other a prominent repair shop. Both tried throwing parts at it to fix it.
    Finally the 2nd Toyota service shop found it along with all of you who suggested looking at it.
    Thanks so much for all the help. Its been two years with this issue.
    Thanks again!!

Products Discussed in

To Top