1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Glassworks Fender install guide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Spencer, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jun 30, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    Spencer

Spencer [OP] Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    So. You went mid/ long travel and/ or thought your buddy totally knew what he was saying when he swore 285/75's wouldn't rub.
    Then you realized he crawls malls and you stuff your wheels once and look like this:
    9upuqyja_a600a3171113ba8fc5ed56c19024f235b8d127ea.jpg

And then you buy glass and search and can't find a good write up.

Here ya go.

(I gotta be up at 4 am so this is gonna be a work in progress as I get time to install/update this)

In the meantime, can anyone help address this issue?
    Every other tab fits
    Except these. I understand they're not supposed to line up but what'd I do wrong ? Now neither of those holes line up ysubehus_827888ad90e342080951eadcaf0cc31162b87089.jpg

DawsonDestroyer likes this.
  2. Jul 1, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    If i remember correctly, the stock fenders had a piece that stuck out far enough for that headlight. So the hole you're pointing to is for the bolt that holds the fender down. Then there was another hole next to that one on your stock fender to hold the headlight in place

3. Jul 1, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    x2. your headlight bolts into the fender... not sure whats going on here

4. Jul 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    Mine were the same way but I thought it was because how I treat my truck... lol

5. Jul 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    I'd say don't even bother with that one. Cause it's only one

6. Jul 1, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    or fit it how you need to and drill and tap a thread hole into your truck if there is room where you are pointing to under that part??

7. Jul 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    What is stopping you from adding some glass to extend the fender mounting surface to accommodate the mounting tab? That would be my solution after I had exhausted all possible ways to make it line up of course...

8. Jul 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate

Time, mostly. Hell I have free glass & resin from work but it's such a pain... I'm thinking I'll pop rivet some metal tabs on & mount to that

9. Jul 5, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    Well this install is kinda crap and now I get why there aren't any good how-to's around.
    The hardest part is making them fit. e7uvabug_09ba7c8d0396d7fabeebe7565fc4f782d70c696d.jpg
    You'll run into crap like this constantly.
    Your stock bolts are 1/2" long or so & the damn glass is crooked and sits 1.5" higher than the bolt hole... Now what?

You just force it and trim and shove it back into place & grind spots here & there...
    I had planned on making a bolt-by-bolt detailed how to for the fitment part but... You'll get it to work just fine without seeing that and every piece of glass will be different. Just use a small pilot bit to drill into the bolt holes to ensure you're on center, then use a 1/4" bit to drill the hole out.

e4enymur_3d306a89e30100194e95a917ecbbd93b29cba831.jpg
    These two will give you problems.
    Apparently there is no bumper cap to fit 2013 trucks....
    So the only thing i have left to work with are the little flat plastic bits.

You can either trim back the glass 2"
    Or trim the plastic back a bit.
    I went for the plastic trim route
    u5abytez_ac89890f4b3eb512827b3ab52d180932ba1d46b4.jpg
    u4uteru2_2ae10d278fc26c4e170c23decf9b3f901fb92654.jpg

Cut an inch or so of the tabs on the back and file it flat. Then cut a 1/2" short & it fits pretty well now.
    I used 3M body panel double sided tape to stick it to the fender, as you're cutting off the side that was once held in place by the old fenders

10. Jul 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    What to do with your radio antenna!
    Not sure why I can't find this addressed anywhere but I've heard everything from
    Just cut it off
    To expensive "antenna-less" systems etc

Here's what I did

edy4uzuq_ebc9e20125e87d0f770318aace959360a5d02604.jpg
    Carefully take this nut off.
    6yve4yru_39599259e8f73a7fccc1ffab8b63d531bb420ae2.jpg
    Take this off and note how you can adjust it up & down.

The old "cap" thing on top will not match the curve of the glass anymore so i decided not to mount it on top
    dyryje9y_a6338420ce37ecbc4005202297cfcb8f2bbf53b8.jpg

Grind out a notch to adjust it down an inch or two then drill a hole in the fender & use a grommet vejy4y3a_caa0e7920c5c0e9de2a92476977b0b9f7cbcc72b.jpg
    Simple, looks stock & radio works perfectly still!

11. Jul 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    Richie Rich

Richie Rich Toyota Hoarder

Member:
    760 (San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2010 X-Runner 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    More than I can afford
    As I have come to find out while building my 86 "dual sport" truck, pretty much all off road fiberglass is utter crap.

It is made to offroad racing standards, meaning "it is just cosmetic and is going to get thrashed, so lets not try too hard".

You wind up with parts that sorta look like fenders/bedsides/hood and it is up to you to spend hours making it look/fit close to OEM or say "f-it, run it" and leave it as is.

12. Jul 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:

THIS.
    I kinda get it- racing will break stuff all the time & I can't count how many fenders or hoods I've seen broken off during the races.
    But at the same time, it's annoying as hell seeing this shit quality & paying so much.
    It'd make more sense to sell a "race quality" line that look like these & a street queen line that ACTUALLY fit perfectly.

It's Kinda comes to a judgement call. I got it as close as I could & it's not bad. Not too good either.
    Gonna be such a pain pulling em off again to get painted.
    Anyone have a suggestion for the bumper caps?

13. Jul 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    I think it's time for a real bumper rather than try and get bumper caps to work.

14. Jul 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    Richie Rich

Richie Rich Toyota Hoarder

Member:
    760 (San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2010 X-Runner 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    More than I can afford
    People have been saying that for years. Make a high quality, oem like fit version and another, cheaper, thinner, looser tolerance "race" version.
    Not like it is horribly difficult, there are properly fitted fiberglass products out there for street cars.

15. Jul 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    JDawg562

JDawg562 Derp.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007,TRD Off-Road, Access Cab
    Yeah, my Glassworks 4" flare 3" rise fenders were exactly like that. I was thinking of making a little metal bracket or something for the headlight. My antenna was stuck solid I ended up drilling it out =/. I ended up buying a new antenna and had to splice the wires together the plug didn't match the Tacoma antenna plug in the passenger pillar.
    It's kinda annoying fitting it, take it off, shave some, test fit again, take it off, shave it basically over and over till it's decent. Then you work on the other side...

It was worth it in the end. It gives the truck a whole new look.

16. Jul 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    uploadfromtaptalk1406425978745.jpg

All painted!

Do not. For any reason go to earl Sheib in Montclair off of central ave. Those dickheads tried to charge me 540 and I said fuck that they're staying white.
    Paid 400$

Do not ever show your wallet in that place. Fuckem. I paid more than they'd ever make on your paint job.

17. Jan 12, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    Tlashins

Tlashins New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tysen
    I got a fiberglass widebody from tacomabeast and before I am to put it on does any1 have any pointers on what to do? I don't want to make a mistake ill regret (sounds like I've already made a mistake by buying fiberglass smh).

18. Jan 30, 2022 at 9:46 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Measure once cut twice. Itll look nice because you cut twice. :D:D

Island Cruiser likes this.

Products Discussed in