1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help, brake line leaking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Koootch, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jul 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    Koootch

Koootch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstien 5100s @.85, OME Dakar, Fuel trophies w/ BFG AT KO 285/70/17
    Hey guys, i just installed crown extended brake lines in preparation for maxtrac spindles. My top front driver side line is slowly leaking at the connection point. Ive tried flipping it top to bottom but then both sides began leaking. I flipped it back so only the top leaks again. Its as tight as I can get it without the fear of breaking/stripping it. Im using a flare wrench. Any advice? Should i take it to a shop? Maybe the line is defective? The picture shows the leak on the left side of the connection, its kind of hard to see. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    wannabetrd

wannabetrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3inch front 2inch rear lift with add a leaf and extended brake lines trd exhaust
    Are you sure it's not cross threaded if not try to tighten a little more are you using another wrench to hold the brake hose from moving

3. Jul 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's jacked.

It is a flare fitting... "tight" is tight enough to seal. It doesn't seal on the threads, the tube seals to the tapered fitting. If you are getting it uncomfortably tight and it's still leaking, the threads are either cross-threaded and/or the new hoses have the incorrect thread.

Either way, the factory hard lines are most likely ruined.

4. Jul 1, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Visually it even looks cross threaded. I would bet money on it.

And I agree with what Rich said above both lines are more than likely screwed up now.

5. Jul 1, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That may be an optical illusion from the brake fluid refracting the threads.

But I still think it's toast.

Kootch... Did you start it by hand and run it in 3 or 4 threads without feeling resistance?

6. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM
    Koootch

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstien 5100s @.85, OME Dakar, Fuel trophies w/ BFG AT KO 285/70/17
    Yeah did it by hand then when it wouldn't go anymore tightened it with the flare. I just tightened it a little more and it seems to have gotten better. Ill check it tomorrow and see the status. Do you guys think I should tighten a little harder? Im worried about stripping it completely and being screwed. All the other lines went on smooth.

7. Jul 2, 2014 at 2:11 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    As this one should also and not leak. What I would do at this point hopefully before anything get screwed up.

1. Unscrew the fittings and inspect the threads of each one and the flare ( male and female ).

2. Inspect them both.

3. If they look good, reinstall the fittings by hand making sure that they go together squarely.

4. Then snug them up good.

As was stated earlier, they are flared fittings, you should not have to over torque them to get them to seal. If you do there is something wrong.

8. Jul 2, 2014 at 3:34 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Try putting the stock on back on and see if it leaks

9. Jul 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya... you can always try again.
    In addition to inspecting the threads, also check the flare seating surfaces both on the hardline and the hose.

A small metal sliver on the seat will cause a leak that you'll never tighten away.

When reassembling, be sure to hold the hard line straight on the flare seat while you snug it down.

10. Jul 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    Koootch

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner
    Sorry guys been busy working. I installed my lift the other day. It relaxed the extended line better and i tightened it one more pinch. Ive only driven it a couple miles, not fast, and very little braking. Doesn't seem to be leaking anymore but Im waiting on getting an alignment so I can actually drive it. If it's still leaking Ill take off the line and do what you guys suggested. The good news is it used to pool when sitting but now it doesn't seem to be doing that. Thanks for the help.[​IMG]

11. Jul 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I hope it works out for you. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable unless I made sure nothing was damaged.

Products Discussed in

To Top