1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pikehk01, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Jul 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    pikehk01

pikehk01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4x4
    I have a 2011 DCLB 4x4. I don't use 4x4 often at all (twice is all I can think of off hand) but today I was dropping some stuff off at the dump. I was going to use 4L but when I engaged it, it started beeping. The beep was like when u have your key in the ignition, turned one click, and ur door is open. 4x4 was still engaged and the light was on on the dash. I put it into 4H to stop the beep. Once the truck was unloaded I put it back in 4L and tried backing up some just to try something out that I had to do in an older model Trooper. My question is what was the beep for?

2. Jul 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    It means that it can't go into 4lo. My truck will do that if I don't push the clutch in all the way even if I have the shifter is neutral.
    You have an auto thou, were you in neutral?

3. Jul 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Your description is a little hard to understand but It sounds like you tried to go into 4L before 4H was fully engaged.

4. Jul 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I live in Dallas and don't have all the cool places to go 4 wheeling that a lot of people do on this forum. However, I put my truck in 4hi and 4 lo periodically per the owners manual instructions. You need to engage them about once per month minimum.

5. Jul 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    No, no, no...

Look at you sun visor... or read the owner's manual... you MUST shift to N (neutral, not P park) to go into OR out of LOW RANGE (L4). Beeping and blinking L4 light means it is NOT engaged, try again. N Neutral!!

;)

6. Jul 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    Yip "Neutral-Stopped".
    And I think to get it out of low also is recommended....I might be tho'.

:thumbsup:

7. Jul 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    OP left us, and here we are with all of this advice...

8. Jul 5, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    pikehk01

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4x4
    sorry I didn't mean to leave like that. had a busy day and then the news of a family member passing.

I was in P when I was trying to go into 4Low. I didn't know that I needed to be in Neutral.

9. Jul 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Here is a video. As mentioned before you should be engaging this at least once a month for about a 10 minute drive to lubricate the 4x4 parts. Also if you have a E-locker it also should be engaged to make sure it does not freeze up. If on a hard surface be sure you are going in a straight line or you could break something. It is best to do this on a soft surface like a gravel road.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdJ2z3dx520

10. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Very very sorry for your sad news... we can always wait to hear back from you.

This card is supposed to be in that pouch in your sun visor, and you are supposed to read or review your owners manual when anything doesn't work, to make sure you are doing it right...

Toyota4WDCard_c357519ab187a863ca9a9f71af808731a2fff4a4.jpg

11. Jul 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    pikehk01

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4x4
    Thank you so much. I'm just so thankful that she is no longer suffering and she is back with my grandfather.

That card is on my sun visor. I can honestly say I have never read it, tho. I will fully read it the next time I get in. Very grateful for the wealth of knowledge on here thanks guys

12. Jul 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    TheGoat

TheGoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 SR5 4x4 6spd
    OME 885 springs on 90000 shocks, sway bar removed 1.5" AAL on 285/75/16s
    Its cool OP, Same happened to me, probably happened to the smart asses too. XD

13. Jul 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Oh indeed... in a hurry to get in or out of Low Range and miss that N neutral step!

Last night, I was lucky and didn't have any issues with L4, or the rear locker activating. Lucky maybe is the wrong word, as the Tacoma is about as flawless as a truck can be!

Products Discussed in

To Top