1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to me 2010 Tacoma DCLB Sport, questions.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mesohungry, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Jul 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    mesohungry

mesohungry [OP] Active Member

Member:
    southern cali
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Sport LB
    So far so good, just a couple complaints.

1. -After stopping , then releasing the breaks to accelerate I (sometimes) get this late reaction thump feeling, no noise, but as if theirs a slight delay in something engaging.

2. -Dash rattle, only happens when I am blasting the AC for a while and drive over bumpy terrain, more of a crackling sound, almost like the sound of dropping an ice cube in water. (annoying!) I've pressed around the dash, on the stereo, etc .. almost sounds like the stereo or plastic vents next to them when i apply pressure. Very irritating.

3. - Squishy, sloppy breaks, they are there and work, I just don't feel very confident...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maintenance questions:
    I just bought the truck w/65k miles, I performed the 60k scheduled maintenance myself.
    -Sparkplugs: (Original half NGK/Denso) replaced with Denso Oem's from Toyota Dealer.
    -Oil change: Moble 1, Toyota oil filter
    -Rear differential fluid: (synthetic 75w-90)
    -Oem air filter
    -Tires are new
    -Cabin filter is new
    *** Didn't Re-torque Propeller Shaft Bolt - this ok?
    ***Automatic transmission fluid , necessary ?? , I mean I have no clue if the guy before me was tugging boats around . Seems like a huge job too
    ***also need to inspect the breaks, but I assume the dealer would of done that. thanks :) BTW love the truck.

2. Jul 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    Chapman

Chapman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 SW DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Congrats on the truck! Can't help you much, but my 2013 has squishy brakes as well, but I'm used to it now and don't notice it at all.

3. Jul 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    The clunk sounds like axle wrap. Very common with these trucks. I think there is a TSB about this issue related to replacing the rear leaf springs.
    The brakes on my 14 are soft but I think it's due to my rear drumb brakes not being adjusted correctly.

Good luck.

4. Jul 7, 2014 at 12:25 AM
    2011flowedtaco

2011flowedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Antioch, California
    Vehicle:
    '11 aclb white trd sport 4x4
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, flowmaster dual exhaust, mb sport 17 inch rims, 33's coming soon
    Sub'd to this. I've had that same thump type feeling on acceleration immediately after releasing the brake pedal. Happened I think twice in the two years I've owned my '11.

Same with the ac "water dripping" noise. But mine does it periodically. It also does it with the heater on too. I mentioned it to my toyotas service department and they said they weren't sure what it was. I thought to myself "huh, that's helpful" and I left.

Never thought to post them on here but since you did, I might as sub lol. Curious about it now.

5. Jul 7, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    mesohungry

mesohungry [OP] Active Member

Member:
    southern cali
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Sport LB
    Well doesn't really sound like water, but when you drop an ice cube into water, it has this distressed sound to it... like some plastic rubbing together..
    Pretty bad for a 4 year old Toyota imo..

-Also I may add, the head light lenses yellow too easily, I tried to restore mine, look great , but when light is shinning they still appear foggy.. I used the 3M kit.. any suggestions? maybe buy one of those aftermarket sets from ebay?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jul 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    1. Check leaf spring U-bolt torque. Some trucks are undertorqued from the factory (~30 ft-lb instead of the required 73 ft-lb)

2. It's possible the previous owner had an aftermarket stereo installed (which would require both the stock stereo and HVAC control panel to be removed). The stock stereo faceplate and HVAC control panel both use a number of yellow plastic clips for mounting. If one or more clips are missing, it could result in some looseness.

Do you have a CD in the unit? Is the noise gone without the CD?

3. Pedal feel may be slightly improved with steel braided lines, but not by much. The brake fluid is supposed to be replaced every 4 years or 40k, depending on which year's maintenance booklet you read from... New brake fluid, properly bled, will improve brake feel slightly as well.

• Need to grease the propeller shaft U-joints every year or 10k.
    • Automatic transmission fluid should be replaced before your powertrain warranty expires. ;) New fluid may expose incipient problems in your tranmission like leaky seals, etc.
    • Dealer likely wouldn't have inspected your rear brakes. It's a good idea to get your brakes "serviced" every two years or so (~$120) to prevent things like seized calipers, seized parking brake, etc. May also reduce certain types of "clunking" sound.

Products Discussed in

To Top