1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Hybrid is Possible: 31MPG

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomanto, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jul 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If Toyota ever releases the Tacoma in Speedway Blue again , I'm selling my truck !!!

I mean that might appeal to some people , and that's probably why Toyota would give them the option to choose it or not to choose it but it's just a travesty I can't be associated with

2. Jul 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    ncooper

ncooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD SPORT 4x4
    5100's @ 1.75, ride rite airbags, borla exhaust, headlight retrofit
    My 05 prius is rolling in at 180K now and has yet to have any major maintenance costs outside of routine. I'm also on my original set of brakes pads, regenerative breaking of the hybrid power train extends the life of the conventional braking system. I know it will need a traction battery eventually but have already done the research and can aquire a refurbished unit for around 1300 or a battery with new cells for around 2500.

3. Jul 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Depends what kind of hybrid.Small gas engine and electric motor. I think I'll stick with my V6. Would love a V8 option or diesel.

4. Jul 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    beondwacko

beondwacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08' X-Runner , Sirius radio, fog light mod. Much more to go.
    Not to mention that the Lexus 300h drivetrain is a transverse mounted engine. They would have to significantly redesign the front end to replace our existing longitudinal drivetrain with that. I cant really see it making sense for them having a design that would take a transverse engine in the hybrid edition and a longitudinal in the conventional. Which means itf they did it, the new truck would have a Honda Ridgleine like drivetrain, FWD biased with a power takeoff to the rear end on '4wd' editions.

I agree with the front wheel drive sentiment as it applies to a pick up truck. It just doesn't work for a multitude of reasons, but just because that engine is mounted transversely in the Lex doesn't mean that it must be in the Taco. What does Ford do with the 3.5l ecoboost engine with the Taurus & Flex versus the F150?

5. Jul 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Sweet to see this in a taco..I would buy it today==[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top