1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck With Alignment Issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AJtacoAZ, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jul 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM
    AJtacoAZ

AJtacoAZ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD dbl cab srt bed
    About 2 months ago I purchased a brand new Tacoma. I have absolutly loved everything about the truck and it hasn't taken me long to understand why they have sucha following.

I am having an issue with alignment. My job requires me to drive off road regularly. Twice after driving this road I had to take the truck in for an alignment. There are no mods on suspension and everything is still stock.

Has anyone else had any problems like this or know of anything I should be watching for. If this is a problem is there a solution with minimal cost?

Thanks for your time and help!

2. Jul 9, 2014 at 12:15 AM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
    How rough are the roads/how long do you drive on them? Sounds strange that it would be out of alignment that quickly with nothing crazy being asked of it. I'm no expert on alignments. Did you take it to the dealer to do the alignments? Maybe the guy who does it there just doesn't know what he's doing. Maybe try an independent shop and check to make sure everything's squared away before leaving.

3. Jul 9, 2014 at 2:02 AM
    ewbaltz

ewbaltz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    12 DcSb SR5 4X4
    Totally Stock
    This is definitely not normal.pursue a solution to the problem aggressively while this truck is still new.if the unknown problem cannot be solved in a timely manner,you would not be out of line to have the dealer exchange this truck for an identical one under our lemon law.may I ask which dealership you purchased it from?

4. Jul 9, 2014 at 4:07 AM
    MagneticTaco79

MagneticTaco79 COLD ASS HONKY

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 2012 Tacoma AC TRD Sport 4x4
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT
    What exactly has led you to believe the truck was out of alignment both times? Did the alignment shop give you a print out and explain to you what part of the alignment wasnt correct?

5. Jul 9, 2014 at 4:46 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Can you post your alignment sheet specs of alignment before and after. Most all shops should give this to you.

6. Jul 9, 2014 at 6:39 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    not normal

it should take a LOT of abuse offroad and still not knock alignment out

who is doing the alignment perhaps they are screwing up
    -----------
    next time you get an alignment, get under there and chalk up all the alignment bolts and tabs....then if it gets out of alignment again, check if any of that is moving based on the chalk (or use white paint if you expect it to be wet and rainy)

7. Jul 9, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Not normal at all especially since it is not lifted. I assume you are taking it back to the dealer for the re-alignment and not some fly by night shop. That being said and without more information and assuming the alignment is done properly my first guess is you are abusing the truck in the way it is being driven. In other words way too much speed for where you are driving. By the way I am not attacking you. Just trying to give a reasonable answer with the information you gave as it is not normal to have them need an alignment just because we go off road, even a very rocky or rough off road, if we treat them correctly. ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  8. Jul 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    AJtacoAZ

AJtacoAZ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I purchased it from Camelback Toyota. They were excellent on the sales end and did both of the alignments. The truck is also coming due for its 5k service. I am going up the hill on Monday and I will see how it does then with the alignment.

Thanks for your tip on the lemon law. I did a little research and I will push the dealer with that if the problem cannot be solved.

9. Jul 9, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    AJtacoAZ

AJtacoAZ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:

I do my best to take care of it. I drive the same road my boss does(he has a 1 ton chevy) and the assistant before me(drove an 3/4 ton chevy and a XTerra). I take the road slower then my boss does and He doesn't have any alignment issues.

It is going into the dealership for the alignment. I haven't had any issues after the second. I am going back up the hill on Monday, so I shall see how it does then.

10. Jul 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    The alignment tabs are pretty weak on these trucks. You can tack weld the alignment cams in place, or get gusseted tabs welded on. I did both. It won't be fixed by trading it in, the next truck will be the same. It is a very simple fix. Once you tack weld them they won't move, and the spot weld can be removed in two seconds with a grinder for future alignments as bushings wear.

(Part # 59860, half way down the page) http://www.chaosfab.com/Toyota-Prado-Hilux-Off-Road-Suspension-Accessories.html

[​IMG]

11. Jul 10, 2014 at 5:50 AM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    What hill? I live in Chandler and my Tacoma is always up for a little challenge. :D

12. Jul 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    AJtacoAZ

AJtacoAZ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:

Out to Crown King and up to Towers Mountain and Wildflower Mountain. The road is fun if you go out of Crown King and take the old Senator Highway up to Prescott. Great little trip and a few nice spots to get lunch.

If you take the I-17 up to the Bumble Bee exit you can follow the signs after that to get into Crown King. I suggest taking a look at a map or bringing a GPS. Plenty of forest service roads to get lost on.

13. Jul 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner

Crown King is one trail I have on my list. Thanks for the info.

14. Jul 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    ewbaltz

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    12 DcSb SR5 4X4
    Totally Stock
    Hmm...I didn't buy there but had a good experience,in the end they just didn't have what I wanted at moment.can't speak for their service dept, however.but I had always considered them to be next in line if the dealer I bought from failed me in the service department, so it will be interesting to see if camelback is at fault or not.just a side note: bought my taco at power Toyota Tempe .10k service the other week.they've been solid so far.I would recommend staying away from right Toyota Scottsdale.yuck. freakin vultures IMO.very bad failed sales experience there.just think of all the bad car salesmen stereotypes... yuck...
    Well good luck and remember, time is not on your side when it comes to your situation. I feel for ya brother, again,best of luck.

15. Jul 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    ewbaltz

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    12 DcSb SR5 4X4
    Totally Stock
    Interesting,you sure that design flaw hasn't been corrected in later models?

Products Discussed in

To Top