Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Truck With Alignment Issues

Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
AJtacoAZ is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
AJtacoAZ's Tacoma Gallery
New Truck With Alignment Issues

About 2 months ago I purchased a brand new Tacoma. I have absolutly loved everything about the truck and it hasn't taken me long to understand why they have sucha following.

I am having an issue with alignment. My job requires me to drive off road regularly. Twice after driving this road I had to take the truck in for an alignment. There are no mods on suspension and everything is still stock.

Has anyone else had any problems like this or know of anything I should be watching for. If this is a problem is there a solution with minimal cost?

Thanks for your time and help!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
DPC08 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DPC08's Tacoma Gallery
How rough are the roads/how long do you drive on them? Sounds strange that it would be out of alignment that quickly with nothing crazy being asked of it. I'm no expert on alignments. Did you take it to the dealer to do the alignments? Maybe the guy who does it there just doesn't know what he's doing. Maybe try an independent shop and check to make sure everything's squared away before leaving.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
ewbaltz is on a distinguished road
ewbaltz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJtacoAZ View Post
About 2 months ago I purchased a brand new Tacoma. I have absolutly loved everything about the truck and it hasn't taken me long to understand why they have sucha following.

I am having an issue with alignment. My job requires me to drive off road regularly. Twice after driving this road I had to take the truck in for an alignment. There are no mods on suspension and everything is still stock.

Has anyone else had any problems like this or know of anything I should be watching for. If this is a problem is there a solution with minimal cost?

This is definitely not normal.pursue a solution to the problem aggressively while this truck is still new.if the unknown problem cannot be solved in a timely manner,you would not be out of line to have the dealer exchange this truck for an identical one under our lemon law.may I ask which dealership you purchased it from?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
EARTH ROCKER
MagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AARON
MagneticTaco79's Tacoma Gallery
What exactly has led you to believe the truck was out of alignment both times? Did the alignment shop give you a print out and explain to you what part of the alignment wasnt correct?
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
not normal

it should take a LOT of abuse offroad and still not knock alignment out

who is doing the alignment perhaps they are screwing up
-----------
next time you get an alignment, get under there and chalk up all the alignment bolts and tabs....then if it gets out of alignment again, check if any of that is moving based on the chalk (or use white paint if you expect it to be wet and rainy)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJtacoAZ View Post

Not normal at all especially since it is not lifted. I assume you are taking it back to the dealer for the re-alignment and not some fly by night shop. That being said and without more information and assuming the alignment is done properly my first guess is you are abusing the truck in the way it is being driven. In other words way too much speed for where you are driving. By the way I am not attacking you. Just trying to give a reasonable answer with the information you gave as it is not normal to have them need an alignment just because we go off road, even a very rocky or rough off road, if we treat them correctly.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbaltz View Post
This is definitely not normal.pursue a solution to the problem aggressively while this truck is still new.if the unknown problem cannot be solved in a timely manner,you would not be out of line to have the dealer exchange this truck for an identical one under our lemon law.may I ask which dealership you purchased it from?
I purchased it from Camelback Toyota. They were excellent on the sales end and did both of the alignments. The truck is also coming due for its 5k service. I am going up the hill on Monday and I will see how it does then with the alignment.

Thanks for your tip on the lemon law. I did a little research and I will push the dealer with that if the problem cannot be solved.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedone View Post
Not normal at all especially since it is not lifted. I assume you are taking it back to the dealer for the re-alignment and not some fly by night shop. That being said and without more information and assuming the alignment is done properly my first guess is you are abusing the truck in the way it is being driven. In other words way too much speed for where you are driving. By the way I am not attacking you. Just trying to give a reasonable answer with the information you gave as it is not normal to have them need an alignment just because we go off road, even a very rocky or rough off road, if we treat them correctly.

I do my best to take care of it. I drive the same road my boss does(he has a 1 ton chevy) and the assistant before me(drove an 3/4 ton chevy and a XTerra). I take the road slower then my boss does and He doesn't have any alignment issues.

It is going into the dealership for the alignment. I haven't had any issues after the second. I am going back up the hill on Monday, so I shall see how it does then.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
The alignment tabs are pretty weak on these trucks. You can tack weld the alignment cams in place, or get gusseted tabs welded on. I did both. It won't be fixed by trading it in, the next truck will be the same. It is a very simple fix. Once you tack weld them they won't move, and the spot weld can be removed in two seconds with a grinder for future alignments as bushings wear.

(Part # 59860, half way down the page) http://www.chaosfab.com/Toyota-Prado...cessories.html

Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #11
karmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud ofkarmatp has much to be proud of
Name: Trevor
karmatp's Tacoma Gallery
What hill? I live in Chandler and my Tacoma is always up for a little challenge.