Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LR UCAs and Bilstein 5100s

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
btdawgs10 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: volunteer firefighter
btdawgs10's Tacoma Gallery
LR UCAs and Bilstein 5100s

I just ordered LR UCAs and i am going to set my bilstein 5100s at 2.5 and i was wondering if i will need extended brake lines and should i be able to fit 285s with no scrubbing?????
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
No

Depends on the wheel backspacing but even then usually no
Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Poor College Student
User Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar....El Yoghurt
User Name01's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, get ready to trim.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
reece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reece13's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about the brake lines, you will be fine. But u will have to trim like hell to fit 285's with 2.5" of lift. I have coilovers up front set up to 3" and am running a 285/17 with 4.5" backspackspace wheel and still had to trim ALOT...But it will work
Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
deeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dana
deeez's Tacoma Gallery
You should install everything and then see where you rub before you start trimming anything. Your front flaps will have to go and the plastic thingy in the front of the fender.

I'm running 285 KM2's and didnt need to trim anything. I don't rub at full lock and flex at all. I only had to unscrew and remove flaps.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Oh you will be rubbing for sure. I have cut quite a bit and did a Cab mount chop to keep from scrubbing its worth it though
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
bastard
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
No

Depends on the wheel backspacing but even then usually no
Yup. I needed extended brake hoses on the rear, but not the front.

Steve's thread may help you gain some clearance without a lot of trimming.

Alignment, Caster, Clearance, and Driving Report with Light Racing UCAs
Old 07-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Thanks for all the help I might just get 32s so I won't have to trim anything
Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
bastard
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdawgs10 View Post
Tire width could still require some trimming.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdawgs10 View Post

255/85/16
Old 07-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
What width should I go with on a 32" tire to fit without trimming Also can I see some pictures of what you have to trim to fit 285s
Old 07-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
bastard

I run a Goodyear DuraTrac in 265/75-16 on OEM wheels without rubbing. You can look up tire specs on TireRack and see the tread width for different sizes. The tread width in 8.5" and it comes close to catching a few things as the steering is turned. My guess is any 32" tire wider than 9" will rub something at full steering lock.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
Dangerdave is a jewel in the roughDangerdave is a jewel in the roughDangerdave is a jewel in the roughDangerdave is a jewel in the rough
Name: David
Dangerdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
255/85/16
What this guy said. Its a taller tire than the 285/75 and not so wide that you have to hack everything up. I am getting mine installed on Monday so if I remember I will post pictures and you can see what they look like for yourself. I am running the same lift. Billies at 2.5 and 2 in AAL in the rear.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #17
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdave View Post
What this guy said. Its a taller tire than the 285/75 and not so wide that you have to hack everything up. I am getting mine installed on Monday so if I remember I will post pictures and you can see what they look like for yourself. I am running the same lift. Billies at 2.5 and 2 in AAL in the rear.
Post back here. I'm considering 255/80/17 in cooper S/T Maxx. I assume I can fit those on stock sport rims with an OME 885 coils and dakars.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #18
Dangerdave is a jewel in the roughDangerdave is a jewel in the roughDangerdave is a jewel in the roughDangerdave is a jewel in the rough
Name: David
Dangerdave's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I believe that there are even people running that tire on stock suspension with removed flaps.

When I get them on I will get back in here and post pics. A friend I work with is running them on a 1st gen with billies cranked up in the front and OME leafs in the rear and I think all he had to do was hammer in some pinch welds(I don't think 2nd gens have to worry about that as far as I can see on my own truck.)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdave View Post
Yep, I believe that there are even people running that tire on stock suspension with removed flaps.

When I get them on I will get back in here and post pics. A friend I work with is running them on a 1st gen with billies cranked up in the front and OME leafs in the rear and I think all he had to do was hammer in some pinch welds(I don't think 2nd gens have to worry about that as far as I can see on my own truck.)
Look forward to the pics
Old 07-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #20
bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstallings View Post
Post back here. I'm considering 255/80/17 in cooper S/T Maxx. I assume I can fit those on stock sport rims with an OME 885 coils and dakars.
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX: LT255/80R17
Load E
Approved Rim Width: 6.5" - 8.5"
Measured Rim Width: 7"
Overall Diameter: 32.8"
Tread Width: 8.15"

I'm surprised they don't list a weight. Some people have gotten away without trimming for narrow 33" tires, but most have to at least cut some plastic.

255/85 R16 Owners Experience - Same diameter as what you're considering, and worth a look if you're concerned with how that size worked for others.