1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What parts to fix this leaky rear axle?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Jul 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    It appears to be coming from the outside of the drum, there is nothing that I can see leaking from where the brake shoes sit. Thanks in advance for helping me figure out and resolve this leak! Also, any cost estimate if repairing it myself?

3udebyjy_35d2091c25408049a045d6ba7ce954e93500b0b5.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. Jul 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Since nobody replied yet.... You have a bad axle seal.

I've replaced many axle seals in my time, just never on a 2nd Gen Tacoma.

First and foremost - if you can't get this fixed right away, you need to check the fluid level in your rear differential. Depending on how much fluid you lost.... you will want to top off the fluid in the diff.

You might want to search or google to find some write-ups out there. I'm sure some exist.

3. Jul 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I'm guessing from the looks of it that my brake pads are probably going to be ok once it is opened up. What parts do I need? I only have 90k so I am not going to replace the bearing. I can only figure I need the inner seal and the outer o-ring. I just replaced my rear diff fluid a few thousand miles ago so I am going to do what I can to avoid draining and wasting the fluid.

4. Jul 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    wannabetrd

wannabetrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3inch front 2inch rear lift with add a leaf and extended brake lines trd exhaust
    As long as the bearing wasn't noisy just the seal and o ring also replace your diff vent that may of been the cause of the seal going bad

5. Jul 12, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am running the extended diff breather but I will inspect it. Thanks

6. Jul 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When you get in there, you'll have to inspect all that stuff and at least wipe everything clean (use brakeleeen type solvents).

You'll also want to check the bearing....if you've been low on fluid, and if the bearing has been running dry, it might have signs of wear. How much wear? It'll be a judgement call on your behalf to change it or not (the bearing).

Just make damn certain, you get that seal pressed in there perfectly (or just about perfect) or else you'll have another leak to deal with in no time.

7. Jul 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    The outer bearing is sealed from the rest of the axle and is packed with grease so low differential oil will not affect it. You may have caught the failed inner seal in time so your brake shoes are not contaminated.

8. Jul 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    just a thought .... if the vent is not working properly it might be the only thing wrong. When the Diff heats up the oil expands and if the vent is not working the pressure may build up to the point to cause the weaker seal to weep.

9. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    that is a tiny weep, could be clogged breather and fix it, fine

if oil is inside the drum (yank drums to be sure)

then it is typically ~$350 per side to replace inner/outer axle seals and bearings
    (if you are gonna have axle yanked may as well replace bearings)

Products Discussed in

To Top