1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spray Foam

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jpmorrisvb, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    As I did in my '10 Access Cab I am applying Dynamat to the back wall and the back doors on my '14 AC to cut back on sound.

I finished up the back wall yesterday and am about to do the doors this morning. I remembered that there are deeper voids in the doors.

Has anyone given any thought to or used an expanding insulation foam to also fill these voids in the doors.

I have window & door which does not expand to the point that it warps things ... remains flexible in temperature changes.

2. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    I'd be careful which one you use due to VOC's.

3. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    "Great Stuff" ... it is designed to bond to metal ... weather resistant ... remains flexible ... expands about 50% ... the great state of California approved it so it can't be too bad ...

4. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    Maybe it can be ate?lol
    If it is designed to be used in enclosed places then maybe it's safe to use in a truck .
    On a summer day when it's been sitting in the sunshine you will know right off if it's safe.

5. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    keep in mind that, at least for the front doors, you need space inside for the window to roll down into, hence why they are deeper.

6. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    That spray foam insulation is messy nasty stuff. Id becareful using it in a vehicle. It says right on the can, the only way to clean it up is through mechanical effort. I got some on my concrete floor in my garage and can't get it off.

7. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    TexasPreRunner

TexasPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Antonio/Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    If you do a search on google there is stuff about it holding moisture, I'd be careful using it, it's also a huge pain in the ass to clean up.

8. Jul 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    After taking your input and sitting back and looking I went with the 5 1/2" wide pink matting used around door jams ... snugs right in ... along with the Dynamat I'm good to go ... thanks for the input ...

9. Jul 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    I was last at LC in November ... a master chief buddy of mine retired at ASU-4 ... Spec War ... I was his speaker ... I wasn't run off the base so things are all good ... ha.

10. Jul 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Have you ever seen old spray in foam? It deteriorates after a few years, turns dark, and begins to disintegrate. I'd steer clear IMO.

Did the DynaMat make the doors sound any less "tinny" when you close them?

11. Jul 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Dynamat is the product ... pricey but well worth it ... I did the back wall ... (access cab) .... the swing out back doors the best I could ... got it to the edges for the most part ... also in the doors I laid in the pink tight plastic foam strip used at doors prior to installation ... about 8 layers ... filled the cavities with that .... definitely quieter ... after input and deep thought I stayed away from the spray ... there's a lot of working moving parts along one side for the shoulder best mechanics.

Products Discussed in

To Top