1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hey Guys, Lets Make A List of Any Options Where Wires/Parts Are There But Not Active

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jboudreaux1965, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 [OP] Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    i never saw i post where people explained all the extra options they discovered were installed in their truck, like wires and parts were there) but since they did not 'pay' for the option they were not activated or the switch was not there, etc...

i have not really found any on this truck, but on my GX and my 4runner by tinkering around a found a few. so if you know any please share.

2. Jul 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    There should be one on the left side of the dash, one or two in the center of the buy the cup holders. Then I know of one on the bottom kick panel pass side there is one or two

3. Jul 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    Richie Rich

Richie Rich Toyota Hoarder

Member:
    760 (San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2010 X-Runner 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    More than I can afford
    Above the overhead console in my truck, there is wiring for the temp/compass thing. My truck has a compartment for a garage door opener there instead.

It also appears to be prewired for steering wheel controls for a phone (there is an extra plug behind the stereo that does nothing.

The older toyota trucks (85-89) were prewired for dash clocks and clutch start cancel switches. It was plug and play to add the parts.

Speaking of, I would love to have a clutch start cancel switch on my Tacoma, anybody know if they are wired for them?

4. Jul 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    yours doesn't have one? My base 4x4 SR5 has one.. only options I have are electric windows and keyless entry

5. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 [OP] Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport

i always wanted the garage door openner feature, i did not think tacomas had that, ill have to go a digging see if i can add it, thanks

6. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    There's a few well documented ones that I'll share here for the sake of completeness.
    Adding fog lights is as easy as adding a dash switch, the fog lights themselves, and a relay in the fuse box.
    Adding intermittent wipers is a matter of simply replacing the wiper stalk in the steering column, a ten minute job.
    Adding cruise control is also easy. Just add the cruise control stalk on the steering wheel. Usually the trucks come prewired for this.
    I have heard that adding steering wheel controls is accomplished by replacing the clock spring with one from a truck with the controls and adding the switch assembly in the steering wheel. I'm piecing things together to do that on my double cab base model. I'll report back success or failure once I have all the pieces.

I should mention that everything I posted is relevant to the 05-11 trucks. Not sure if this stuff still applies to the 2012+ year range.

7. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    Red Demon

Red Demon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vinnie
    Kennett Missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    Tinted windows Upgrade to New 2014 radio Weather Tech Front Lift:2.5 ICON Extended Travel Coilover Shocks Icon Uni Ball Tubular UCA Rear Lift: Icon 1.5" AAL ICON 2.0 Aluminum Series Rear Shock Relentless Front Bumper Relentless Rear Bumper SOS Sliders and skid plate

SUB , need to know how the steering wheel controls work out

8. Jul 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    Hope you're patient. lol. It's something I've been kicking around for a while.

Products Discussed in

To Top