1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Brakes / parking brake issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by taco06, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Jul 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    taco06

taco06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    pomona ,California
    Vehicle:
    06 sprt
    I can't let the wife know
    I have some time off work and decided to replace my rear drum shoes. My truck will hit 80000 miles soon and shoes look like about 25%. Bought some pep boys brake shoes and replaced them. Truck stops normal, but the problem I have is that on a hill the parking brake wont hold my truck. Truck will slowly start to roll. My truck is stick and I need this E brake to work. I didn't have a problem prior to the replacement. I adjusted the brakes till it was a little hard to turn the drum by hand and backed off 3 clicks.No luck, so I tighten it till it was harder to turn by hand and still didn't work. Any ideas what I did wrong or should I put Stealers brake shoes?

2. Jul 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    There should be an adjustment on the cable. Not sure which end but you should find a threaded portion of the cable housing and a bracket that that portion of the cable housing goes through with a jamming nut(s). You will need to lengthen the housing. You could get an idea of where the adjustment is by looking at a parts break down. Check your work installing the shoes to make sure the cables are attached properly.

3. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Your cables may be shot... adjusting it is one thing, but if it doesn't deflect when you push the pedal, its no help.

Secondly... allow yourself some time to "bed in" your shoes. When you change shoes, they need time to fit the diameter of the drum. Until that happens, you typically hit the top and bottom of the shoe in the drum. Proper braking is all about surface area in contact with the drum, which you may not yet have. Also remember that the Ebrake uses the rear shoe only, so you don't have a lot of surface area in contact in the first place.

My cables went tits up at 125K, but I see you're in Cali, you may not have salt issues.

4. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    The adjustment for the cable is under the dash right where the cable hits the foot pedal for the e-brake. Mine did the exact same thing after my first brake job. All you need is a 10mm open end wrench and just tighten the adjustment nut until the foot pedal has some solid tension/resistance back in it then fine tune it by tightening until it causes drag at the wheel and then back off just a hair.

5. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport

there was a recall on some 2nd gen for park break cables maybe check into that to

6. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Did you put the shoes in the correct way with the longer lining shoes as the rears? The adjuster for the parking brake cable is under the cup holder in your manual transmission Tacoma, should cable adjustment be needed.

7. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    A manual doesn't have the cable adjustment at the pedal too ?

8. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Manual transmission Tacomas do not have a parking brake pedal, they have the pull-style hand brake, so the short answer is NO.;)

Alexely999 likes this.
  9. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Ooooooohhhhhhh duh ! Lol :D

Alexely999 likes this.
  10. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

You did it wrong. The correct way to adjust the rear brake shoes is below as per the service manual:

11. Jul 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    taco06

taco06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    pomona ,California
    Vehicle:
    06 sprt
    I can't let the wife know
    Thanks for advice.Drove my truck in an empty parking lot pulling the e brake to slow my truck. After a few times of doing so I let the drums cool down. Now they seem to work well. I guess I needed to brake them in. FYI the Pep boys brand rear shoes have about half inch less of brake shoe/pad.

12. Sep 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    hippykiller

hippykiller Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav!
    Fort McMurray
    Vehicle:
    Nicest truck in Fort McMurray
    OME front and rear, ARB front, All Pro rear, Warn M8, True Flow cold air, Magnaflow exhaust
    Could someone please elaborate on this? Pictures maybe? What is the hole plug and where is the adjuster? I have adjusted my parking brake cable, and with the drum off you can see the shoes expand when the park brake is pulled, but it wont hold the truck even on a mild slope.

13. Jan 30, 2015 at 7:44 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I know this is old, but I stumbled upon this thread and thought I would chime in for anyone looking in the future.

You can adjust the parking brake cable by pulling out your cup holders in the center console. Under the cup holders there is a joint where the parking brake handle splits off into two cables. There you can adjust it with a threaded line and nut.

14. Sep 26, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    Redjeep12

Redjeep12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma single cab
    Hello all
    Just for the record, if you have a standard cab, bench seat standard transmission model there is NO cup holder unit to remove to access park brake adjuster.
    One needs to remove all 4 bolts holding seat unit to the floor, prop the seat front up about 6” (with block of wood)
    Reach back on the top of hump and grab and pull carpet forward. now you’ve gotten close, you’ll see a metal plate with three 10mm bolts, remove THAT plate, NOW you’ve finally exposed the adjustment mechanism. A pair of 12mm wrenches will take care of the adjustment
    Who’s the rocket scientist who designed that??

Products Discussed in

To Top