1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Talk me in to...Or out of a CB??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MagneticTaco79, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    MagneticTaco79

MagneticTaco79 [OP] COLD ASS HONKY

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 2012 Tacoma AC TRD Sport 4x4
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT
    For some reason I have got the urge to install a CB. Can't really come up with a good reason I really need one other than I like gadgety stuff. I've had them when I was younger but not in the past few years. I have no buddies that will wheel with me, I do travel some but not with others. What are your opinions on the need/use of a CB???

2. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    HA, I just went through this myself and installed one. Did I need it? Not really. Will I ever use it? Rarely. But is it something cool to have in the truck? Oh yeah it is. I just made sure to get one with NOAA channels so I could use it legitimately as a weather radio, which is nice to have since once upon a time I got caught in tornado weather like a dipshit, and next time around the weather radio might confirm my doubts if I forget to check the weather before I go on a drive to get some fastfood with pitch black skys.

Edit: I installed a Cobra 75 so it is low profile for my needs.

3. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    MagneticTaco79

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT
    Lol, yeah I thought... Well I could always use it for the weather channels.

4. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    Bought two identical units 20 years ago and installed one in my motor home, because that's what you did twenty years ago. Probably hasn't been turned on in the last 19 years. The second one never got installed in my 1st gen Tacoma and is still in the box in my garage. (The 1st gen was sold last December when I got the 2nd gen.) Though there are some great new units out there and reasons a plenty for some to own them, I guess I've proven I don't have a use for one. (Hasn't stopped me from owning a dozen or more smartphones over the years, though. And, I do still have a 5-watt handheld in a drawer somewhere.)

5. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    jamesmm791

jamesmm791 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Off Road
    If you want one,get one! Plus there super cool.

6. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    They're cheap enough, if you wheel with people using them you'll be very happy you have one.

7. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    Back in the 80s I never went anywhere without one.

We used to play Foxhunt. Using nothing but CB radios, we'd give our Fox an hour to hide. He had to be on public accessible land, HAD to respond to radio checks, and couldn't leave the county.

Then, everyone heads out to find him. Done with a good fox, this could take all day. FYI, where I grew up, Marathon county is 1,576 sq miles (4,082 km²).

We'd usually play with a half dozen to a dozen or so Hounds. We had a couple where the county kids like me would get a turn to pick and we'd WIN, as in a weekend went by and noone found us....cause we knew the back county areas :)

You can't do that with cells. Plus, CB is just fun. (FYI, I was Noise Inc in case there are any old midwestern CBers floating around here)

That said, I don't have one any more. I don't really need to talk to people for entertainment any more, as I'm a pseudo-grownup with money now. I usually have NPR on anyhow if there's no football being played.

8. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    if you get one, get a 'galaxy' brand, they are by far the best!

9. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    I was always a big fan of the Cobra 19 LTD classic. Add in a 102 and Mosquito sideband amp under the seat and you were in business. Also, of all places, K-Mart had THE best cheap magnet mounted small antennae....called a K40 IIRC. If you couldn't hard mount, you had a K40.

10. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    MagneticTaco79

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT

Yeah if I did I would want to do a mount in the console. I would want it out of sight. Your also right hell the weather channel app on my phone is all a guy needs. Shit I don't know. Lol. They are cool to play with but I'm afraid the novelty would wear off fairly quick.

11. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    MagneticTaco79

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT

Lol sounds like fun. When we were in high school (I had an 86 4x4 with the 22r) we ran around town talking to each other. Thought we were cool as hell! And BTW the Toy was about 10 years old at that time, I'm not that old!

12. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    ancient11

ancient11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2019 4 cyl srsx ac
    My Galaxie 33 with low bands is essential for deer hunting in north Fl. It has come in handy a couple of other times.....like being stuck and had to call for help. Of course it puts out over 40 watts and has the full length steel whip (during hunting season)

13. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    LOL 40 watts?

A guy I used to work with used a half-watt transmitter to bounce a message off of...and GET A RESPONSE FROM...Mir.

The FCC used to get PISSED if you started using over...say, three or four watts. At least back then, anyways. And when I say 'pissed' I mean, black cars and government employees show up at your house and confiscate your vehicle 'pissed'.

14. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:03 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    cobra 19 are very good low end radios! just only have 40 chans and if my memory serves 5watts. so pretty short range.

most of the galaxy come standard set to i believe 12watts (due to regulations), but they are setup for 25watts, you just have to 'turn the dial' so to speak.

as far as linear amps, if so inclined go old skool, old 'grey' model amps, the 150 and 300 are pretty bullet proof, also the old 'pride' brand amps get a bad rep from some people because they were advertised as 100watts but they from the factory produce more power and with a transistor transplant can do upwards of 1000watts!

a pride looks like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIDE-100-8...t=US_Ham_Radio_Amplifiers&hash=item4183d8ab69

a grey looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gray-Electr...t=US_Ham_Radio_Amplifiers&hash=item540c801104

the ultimate is the legendary sweet 16

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/txstar/dx1600x/

but you will need at least 1 extra battery and at min 130amp alternator. but you can dead key and silence EVERY system within a block that uses audio circuits! for fun we would drive by a night club and 'walk over' the PA systems, lol!

o, and the K40 antennas are actually pretty good considering price and easy to pop on the roof!
    but if you 'pump up the power' a K40 will overheat and SWR's go through the roof! lierally, touch the coax or antenna it will burn you!

a better mag mount would be a 'wilson' like

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/sp/wilson-little-wil-magnet-mount-cb-antenna-kit-carded/

or for an installed antenna

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/sp/wil...-cb-trucker-antenna-with-10-shaft-clearblack/

if you want to have some fun and see how much TX/RX power a good setup puts out, when you done with install, take a normal fluorescent light tube, your everyday shop.office tube or whatever and hold it next to the antenna. with no wires attached to the bulbs whatsoever, it will glow! :)

anyways, thats pro. way too much info, but go with a galaxy at least as the radio, and order it, a truck stop or CB repair shop will charge you an outrageous amount! they can be had for as low as $200!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Geez, talk about tons of bad info.

OP, here's the deal:

First off, I'm going to only talk about LEGAL setups that have reasonable expectations. Yes, you can get old hot-rodded CBs, and you can run around playing with the FCC, but I'd rather give you good advice on what you can legally do and easily expect to find from a retail store.

Based on what you do, a CB is pointless. If you still want one, read my bullets below. Instead, you would be better suited with taking a class and getting a HAM radio. HAMs have a dedicated following, and you can probably find a discussion anywhere, day or night. If you are in danger, there's trained professionals who are ready to relay your message.
    With my CB, I've driven 200 miles without hearing a conversation.

Back to CBs...
    • A CB is going to have a max output power of 4 watts. You have to intentionally mess with the innards to go illegal, so it's not like it's easy to get into trouble
    • A CB has a maximum transmit of about 5 miles, but your realistic range is about 1 mile or less.
    • The CBs that I know of that are easy to conceal are the Cobra 19 DXIV or 75WX, Uniden 510 or 520, or Midland 75-822. However, there are some new products, such as the Uniden 505XL that look intriguing.
    • Antennas are best as hard mounted. Magnet mounts scrape the roof and can fall off from branches.
    • Many people go with a 4' Firestik antenna. I don't know why. They are thick and rigid, so you need a spring mount. I prefer the Wilson Flex, which is thin (so it's less of a visual obstruction) and it bends - practically in half if it needed to.
    • The best mounting point is always top dead center of the roof. However, I've had very good luck with the Relentless Fab CB mount, which connects to the hood bolts. I have not had luck with the universal fit hood channel mounts, because our trucks have too deep and too slanted of a channel for things to mount right.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. Jul 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...

they'(re)

17. Jul 15, 2014 at 2:41 AM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
    I'm going to be installing mine soon. It comes down to what YOU want. Why I use one.
    Buddies have them
    Some areas only way to get help is CB and/or HAM
    Survivalist/emergencies.
    Weather
    We got evacuated from a fire the CBs were priceless.We even had a buddy that was also a HAM operator that was able to relay info to family members for us. I will be getting my HAM license when I get a chance.

18. Jul 15, 2014 at 3:41 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Despite being quite antiquated, CBs can still be useful. Mine is almost always on while on the highway. Has saved me numerous times from being caught in a traffic jam. Like stated the weather option on some radios is nice too. Sometimes you're not in range of cell service and this is helpful. Myself, I'm just a hobbyist. I enjoy talking to the local crew of guys around here as well as shooting skip all over the world. As other have already mentioned, a Cobra 19 or one of the little Unidens would be the way to go if you just want a hidden setup with little money invested. Myself I need a little more. :D

[​IMG]

And also, get a Wilson and skip the Firestik!

19. Jul 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I just ordered a Cobra 75WXST. I've never had a CB in a vehicle but I have a road trip to Alaska in January so I bought one to have the weather channels and emergency communications when I'm out of cell phone range. I also plan to wheel a little more in Alaska so I got the radio for that as well.

Basically, I just decided it was better to have it a not use it than not have it and need it.

20. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:06 AM
    MagneticTaco79

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT
    Thats something i was wondering how far do the weather channels "reach"? For example if you are out of cell phone range, way off in the back country some where. Are you going to be able to pick them up? I know this would be some what based on your setup, but just curious if they are pretty strong signals.

Products Discussed in

To Top