1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck feels like I'm driving off road when ever I'm driving at highway speeds ? HELP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1stTruck, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jul 16, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    1stTruck

1stTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Billies 5100's front set to 1.75 plus 1/4 taco lean spacer. Rears Billies plus AAL for a 2" leaf. 265/75/16 BGF's. Double din Kenwood stereo w/bluetooth and steering wheel controls and JBL speakers front & rear. Heavy duty battery. Billet grill blacked out. K&N air filter and MBRP cat-back. Just tuned it up new plugs and new front brake pads. Steel powered coated tailgate cap. Billet Grill painted black & factory roof racks. Oh new head lights thanks to toyota.
    Hi, I have a 2010 prerunner w/56,000 miles on it. My tires are pretty new 265/75/16 BFG's. Lately when I drive back & forth to work I take the highway and when I go over a somewhat tall bridge the truck feels like its on ice? I have to hold tight to the steering wheel, some times two hands? I know I thought its the winds, but it happens everyday now & it just started doing so about two weeks ago. I searched on google and read it maybe my oem shocks. Could that be the oem black shocks are toast. If I replace them should I also replace my front coils?

Thanks
    1stTruck

2. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Billies 5100's front set to 1.75 plus 1/4 taco lean spacer. Rears Billies plus AAL for a 2" leaf. 265/75/16 BGF's. Double din Kenwood stereo w/bluetooth and steering wheel controls and JBL speakers front & rear. Heavy duty battery. Billet grill blacked out. K&N air filter and MBRP cat-back. Just tuned it up new plugs and new front brake pads. Steel powered coated tailgate cap. Billet Grill painted black & factory roof racks. Oh new head lights thanks to toyota.
    No, its high and wide 6 lanes. I always felt a little push from the side but now it has gotten worst. It feels unsafe.

3. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Had my alignment done two yrs ago when I purchased my 4 new BFG's. The truck rides nice and straight except for the bridge ride. I will check my tire pressure today. What should the pressure be set at for daily driving? The max pressure on the side wall is a crazy 65lbs, I know that's max. I was thinking 35 or 40lbs

4. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    It should be listed on the driver side door.

5. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    2 years is way too long, unless you only drive 5k/year. I have mine checked every 10k miles. Get a lifetime alignment at Firestone, it's about the cost of having two done. 35 or 40 sounds too high as well, mine are typically around 28.

6. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    that's for the stock tires

7. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    ok just checked my tire pressure. front driver side 35lbs front pass side 35.5lbs
    driver rear 34lbs, pass rear 35.5lbs again my tires are the all terrain BFG's 265/75/16

8. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    x2 I have the same tire in that same size and I run 36 up front and 32 on the rears

Have you had the front end inspected just to rule out anything in need of repair?

9. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    The bridge is in good shape and when I use my wife's toyota venza no problem.

10. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I can play w/the tire pressure. & no haven't had the front end checked out. I chg my oil myself and everything looks clean & normal under the front. Again it only happens at highway speeds or go over a tall bridge.

11. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    would it be a waste of time and $$ to replace all four shocks.. Maybe upgrade to TRD shocks

12. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Is it a suspension bridge? Pretty common for those to have a small amount of bounce and jiggle with traffic and crosswinds etc.

13. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Really? Every 10k miles is kind of absurd to me. The only time I have mine checked is if I have an issue or if a tire is wearing incorrectly.

I find it far more likely that a service tech is going to fuck up your alignment than driving back and forth to work. Going offroading obviously increases your chances of throwing something off.

14. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    OK, I'll take it to the tire shop after work today and let y'all know what I find out. I guess I was just hoping to swap out the oem shocks and be done w/it.

15. Jul 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    Probably good to check the alignment.

One thing I noticed when I got my first Tacoma (noticed your this might be your first), is that it being a little wider than many passenger cars it fit in the worn grooves of the pavement badly. Meaning while I'm driving my wife's car on a certain road everything seems fine, but when I drive my Tacoma on the same road it has a tendency to want to wander as one side of the truck goes in and out of the worn grooves. I only bring this up because you said your wife's car doesn't do this and it is only on a certain patch of road you are having problems.

16. Jul 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    If your max pressure is 65lbs, you probably have LT (light truck) tires rather than P (passenger) tires. LT tires appear to require more pressure than P tires.

17. Jul 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    That makes sense.

18. Jul 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    1stTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    yes I have LT tires

Products Discussed in

To Top