1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deer protection

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Woods and Water, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Nov 10, 2014 at 12:40 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Honking your horn is to get a deer that didn't notice you coming .to go into 'run away from the loud noise' mode.
    Turning off your headlights is to avoid the 'freeze' reaction on the part of the deer.
    Deer do not dive into bright lights.
    Deer do use a bounding action to jump up away from danger, and likely lower their head as part of the plyometric muscle action of winding up like a rubber band to explode into the leap up.
    If you are unlucky enough to strike the deer after it managed to bound up, its coming through the windshield.

2. Nov 10, 2014 at 2:38 AM
    romeo

romeo Wombat

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Lacey, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Silver 4x4 DC Sport
    Agreed, I went ARB even though there are better looking bumpers out there. One thing that ARB builds into their bumper is a piece that connects to the frame that if you crash it takes the impact and crunches together. Not sure how well it works or how much of the impact it takes but if you YouTube 'how an ARB bumper is made' I'm sure you'll find the video and it'll explain that portion.

Not putting down any of the bumpers made by vendors here but that's the reason I went with an ARB bumper Plus I believe they are also DOT approved but not for sure.

3. Nov 10, 2014 at 2:58 AM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    My dad just hit a deer that screwed up the front end and radiator.

He's pretty torn up about it. He just bought a brand new Grand Cherokee about 5 months ago.

I recommended he upgrade to an ARB instead of OEM.

4. Nov 10, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    timothom

timothom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Access cab sr5
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    OP, Have you considered one of these?

http://www.aluminess.com/toyota/toyota-tacoma-2012-2013/front-bumper/

They make one for the 2008 Tacomas as well. I've been thinking about getting one.

The aluminum bumper only weighs like 20 more lbs than stock. I think it would handle a deer strike at high speed and not bend. The full cover Aluminess bumper seems like it has pretty good protection and will fire the deer down instead of up and over your hood

5. Dec 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    GrandMasterChooch

GrandMasterChooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    east coast
    Vehicle:
    snow tires

I think they may work. I have seen deer and dogs on the side of the road that seem very aware and almost weary of me passing them. They hear something they do not like.

image.jpg

6. Dec 18, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    ^This

I think a plate bumper would have minimal effect on protecting your truck from hitting a deer. It might lessen the front end damage to the front grill and bumper, but I doubt it will get you off without a scratch most times. Everyone in my family has hit a deer at some point including myself, living in rural PA. I know about 3/4 of the time it's not a head on impact. Most of the time it's the deer hitting you, by jumping out from thick brush/bushes along the side of the road into the side of the vehicle.

7. Dec 18, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    oldswab

oldswab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    14 dbl cab TRD OR 6MT
    I hit a deer at 9a on a fairly bright morning on the 52 (was it 54?) HY from Minneapolis to Rochester in late Oct.

There's almost nothing you can do about it, except carry comprehensive insurance.

State Farm paid out around $8,000 on front end cosmetics and the internal pulleys, compressor, water pump, hoses, lights, radiator, fan, resevoirs, and etc. And then when summer hit, I found out the A/C was still dead, so they replaced the A/C radiator. State Farm is good like that.

On the plus side, my truck never ran so good, and I got entirely new hoses at ~100K miles, lol. And man that engine compartment was pretty for 1st gen.

They did replace the bull bar, as well, but it didn't do much except possibly mangle the retaining bolts, lol...

8. Dec 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    prerunner 06

prerunner 06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Springfield OH
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 DCSB
    Several on here have mentioned the deer whistles and I also swear by them. I've seen on more than 1 occasion while driving in the morning dawn hours and the evening dusk hours a deer that was just about to go into the road and when I got maybe 50 yards away just froze, turned, and ran the opposite direction. They definitely hear something they don't like. Hit 2 deer previously to the whistles and zero since installing them about 10 years ago. For $5 what have you got to lose?>

monkeyface likes this.
  9. May 10, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
  10. May 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    Tucker771

Tucker771 Tacoma Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Doublecab 4x4 TRD
    Gray wire mod, 4" coil lift, 2" block lift+2" AAL, rear air bags, re-located trailer wiring plugs, trail gear front bumper, kicker sound w/pioneer in-dash, 8" kicker sub, airaid MIT kit, trail gear rock sliders, arrow antenna, blacked out grille, HID kit, Smittybilt 8k winch, extended brake lines, LED overhead lighting, LED turn signals, Explorer Rock Lights, removable doors, Re-wired 4x4, Roof Rack
    I've got the trail gear tube bumper and have hit 2 deer. One on the left side and one square on. Bumper is flawless, when the one hit me on the side though, his head broke my DRL which was unfortunate but no bumper without specific protection for the headlights will help with that

11. May 10, 2015 at 7:11 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Attracted by the headlights.

12. May 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Baja suspension keeps deer away

13. May 10, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    723rdCAT

723rdCAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    15 SR5 4x4 access cab mgm
    Actually have any of you seen the movie Firefox? The plane had the back word firing missile in order to fire it you had to think in Russian.

Well deer work the same way only you have to think in deer instead of Russian.
    It works for me. First time though a deer ran towards me I realized I must have thought "I'm horny" in deer so I tried thinking "I'm that annoying asshole your mother told you about" that makes them run away.

14. May 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM
    Butterless Toast

Butterless Toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NKY
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
    When I see deer I stick my head out the window and scream "DO IT YOU PUSSY!" in an attempt to call their bluff.. so far it only seems to encourage their suicidal tendencies but reverse psychology is a real thing.. just not sure that it works on deer.

DoorDing likes this.
  15. May 10, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    monkeyface

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I've invited you and OZ to this conversation feature, let's discuss it there, eh?

16. May 10, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    monkeyface

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Obviously you don't have me on ignore. If you can see my posts you can see my conversation invites. The invite is there if you and OZ want to make this conversation private instead of cluttering this thread.

17. May 10, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not sure I need to discuss the finer points of turning off your headlights at night and honking your horn to scare away deer to figure out that it's retarded

DoorDing likes this.
  18. May 10, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    723rdCAT

723rdCAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    15 SR5 4x4 access cab mgm
    For me thinking in deer alone works. Of course I'd suppose that a deer in Russia or a Roe deer in Germany might not understand me and it could result in an accident. Then what if your in Qubec? I bet you'd have to think in Canadian and French Canadian. In that case I think I'll roll down my windows and holler.

DoorDing likes this.
  19. May 10, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    *Quebec
    *Quebecois

20. May 10, 2015 at 8:23 PM
    monkeyface

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Alright, the invite is there if you wish to discuss our differences privately. Click on your username, click on Conversations.

Products Discussed in

To Top