Notices

Max AC Come on Automatically?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
TacoLarry is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Helicopter Pilot
Name: Larry
TacoLarry's Tacoma Gallery
Max AC Come on Automatically?

2014 DCLB: long freeway driving on a very hot day (97+ degree), I notice very ocassionally the Max AC light will illuminate for varying lengths of time and then go out. Is there an internal sensor to assist the standard cooling, or as I am towing could a hard hill climb draw down the vacuum enough to close a bypass door, or something. All seems to cool OK.
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what the max ac light is?

My 14 if I switch it to max ac on the dial, the ac light and the recirc light comes on

Is there another?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have it in the defrost mode by chance?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmn7 View Post
Not sure what the max ac light is?

My 14 if I switch it to max ac on the dial, the ac light and the recirc light comes on

Is there another?
Thanks, I meant the Recirc Light, thinking that it meant the same as if the switch were in the Max AC positiin.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
Did you have it in the defrost mode by chance?
No, either dash vents or dash/floor.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Max air simply means that air from outside is being draw into the evaporator coil to be cooled. It's meant to be used when first cooling off the interior when the vehicle has been sitting in the sun, the outside air even though hot will be cooler than the interior air. So my guess is that periodically the 'puter tells the ventilation system to air some fresh air to the cabin to dilute the possible beer farts and or body oder and add some O2 to stave off the sleepys caused by higher CO2 levels.

Calling it "max air" makes as much sense to me as clicking on "start" to turn off your 'puter.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Max air simply means that air from outside is being draw into the evaporator coil to be cooled. It's meant to be used when first cooling off the interior when the vehicle has been sitting in the sun, the outside air even though hot will be cooler than the interior air. So my guess is that periodically the 'puter tells the ventilation system to air some fresh air to the cabin to dilute the possible beer farts and or body oder and add some O2 to stave off the sleepys caused by higher CO2 levels.

Calling it "max air" makes as much sense to me as clicking on "start" to turn off your 'puter.
Wut?
Old 07-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
JustMe is on a distinguished road
JustMe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Put down the crack pipe!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
dm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
dm1215al's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Now I understand
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought max ac meant it turns the ac on and the recirc at the same time because pushing both buttons it too hard and I want heated effing mirrors
Old 07-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I always thought max ac meant it turns the ac on and the recirc at the same time because pushing both buttons it too hard and I want heated effing mirrors
It does, and me too.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
Quote:
True & I apologize for miswording the title, but is there a sensor that periodically activates the recirc? Driving along in normal that light will very occassionally illuminate without pushing the recirc button.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
judgeman6970 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
judgeman6970's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

you have it backwards.....
Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I'll stick with my statement with the qualification that that's how it works for some of the vehicles I have had but since there is no industry standard for what "MAX A/C" means your vehicle may be different. My 07 Tacoma does not have a max ac selection.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
I'll stick with my statement with the qualification that that's how it works for some of the vehicles I have had but since there is no industry standard for what "MAX A/C" means your vehicle may be different. My 07 Tacoma does not have a max ac selection.
Never have I once seen a vehicle with max a/c option do anything but switch to recirc. It would just make no sense at all, if it didn't.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Never have I once seen a vehicle with max a/c option do anything but switch to recirc. It would just make no sense at all, if it didn't.
From the manual regarding MAX A/C: For quick cooling, turn the temperature control dial to the MAX A/C position. The air conditioning will automatically turn on and the air intake selector will be set to recirculated air mode.

Going back to OP's original question, answer is also in the manual:

■ If the ambient temperature drops while using the recirculated
air mode:

The air intake mode automatically changes from recirculated air
mode to outside air mode after a few minutes.

To cancel this function:
Press and hold (recirc button) for longer than 2 seconds.
To reactivate this function:
Turn the engine switch to the LOCK or ACC position

Attached the page as a pdf so you can see it. Really wish I could smoke whatever miniceptor is on, but he probably has to free base that shit!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Recirc Air.pdf (96.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
Canufixit is a name known to allCanufixit is a name known to allCanufixit is a name known to allCanufixit is a name known to allCanufixit is a name known to allCanufixit is a name known to all

Army: SP5 Army N Guard  Ret
Name: Hey YOU!
Canufixit's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks ! did not know that!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
From the manual regarding MAX A/C: For quick cooling, turn the temperature control dial to the MAX A/C position. The air conditioning will automatically turn on and the air intake selector will be set to recirculated air mode.

Going back to OP's original question, answer is also in the manual:

■ If the ambient temperature drops while using the recirculated
air mode:

The air intake mode automatically changes from recirculated air
mode to outside air mode after a few minutes.

To cancel this function:
Press and hold (recirc button) for longer than 2 seconds.
To reactivate this function:
Turn the engine switch to the LOCK or ACC position

Attached the page as a pdf so you can see it. Really wish I could smoke whatever miniceptor is on, but he probably has to free base that shit!
That is probably the circuit that derped. Mine was on outside air and automatically switched to recirc (inside air), but only happened a couple of times and very briefly.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My 07 Tacoma does not have a max ac selection.
If it has ac it does.