1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

<Meeting of the great minds> --Looking for advice on TPMS--

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by H0RTEN, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jul 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    H0RTEN

H0RTEN [OP] Master Chief Petty Officer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Clutch-City
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    Wow, didn't see you there. I'm looking for advice on mounting TPMS from a set of 16 inch steelies into a set of 17 inch aluminum TSS wheels that I'm getting. I've heard some mixed opinions on the possibility of mounting the old ones into the newer rims. As always, your opinions are highly regarded, perhaps too highly, but that is a matter that we will discuss at a later date. Lol, if you guys think that my only option is to acquire some oem TPMS for that wheel do you know how much they will cost and perhaps, the best place to get them. I'm looking to get this done within the next month, that's my girlfriends birthday...:D:D:D

Yes... indulge yourself in the funny meme

memestache_com_251719_1384280357.jpg

2. Jul 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    I just ran into this problem, and wish I had researched or started a thread prior to exchanging funds but... Bought a set of take off TRD/OR 16" wheels & tires with 80 miles on them, wanted to get rid of my base PreRunner 16" steel wheels, in place of the TRD/OR 16" ones I purchased off Craigs.

Anyway, went down to Americas Tire and wasted about an hour, only for them to tell me my current steel wheel TPMS, would not transfer over to my oem alloy 16" TRD/OR wheels. Long and short, I ended up leaving with a set of aftermarket wheels, and four aftermarket sensors. I think I paid $40 each for the aftermarket sensors.

Manager actually gave me a break on the price, as I was originally told my OEM steel wheel TPMS would work in my aftermarket wheels, and they did not work in those either. The regular price would have been $65 each for the aftermarket sensors. Guy told me OE Toyota sensors were almost $90/ each, but he could have been putting me together on that?

Now I have another dilemma, got new wheels on OEM tires and have a vibration I didn't have before between 60-75 mph. I've had the truck re-balanced twice on the aftermarket wheels, and they did improve the vibe and my steering wheel shake, but now the vibe and shake is only at 62-65 which still blows.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. Jul 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    They have to balance the wheels and tires using the Haweka adapter to get it right.

Reading for you on this subject:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/search.php?searchid=12128984

4. Jul 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    Martimus

Martimus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    'neath a cactus
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    When they transferred your tires onto the new wheels, did they use the OEM lug nuts? I was recently researching into doing something similar to what you did. What I found was that with the TRD wheels that I was considering, they needed MAG style lug nuts instead of the acorn lug nuts that were used with my steel wheels.

5. Jul 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    See these pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=TPM...AY-KyATbh4JA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&biw=1467&bih=677

I personally would not spend the extra money on TPMS Sensors. I would get a section of PVC Pipe large enough to hold the TPMS Senors off the steel wheels. Cap one end with a solid PVC Cap and cap the other end with a cap with a schrader valve installed into it. Pressurize the pipe via the schrader valve to the desired pressure and reset the TPMS Light. Keep it in the truck.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  6. Jul 21, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    Like Pool Runner, I replaced my steelies with OEM OR wheels a couple years ago. Choosing not to circumvent the TPMS system, I ordered a set of these sensors from these guys on eBay. New tires and road force balance; had no problems whatsoever. Sold the steelies and original TPMS too.

The only downside, if you could call it that, was that the tire dealer (...a Ford store had the best price on the Michelins I wanted), couldn't add the new sensors to my ECU. I had to have a friend with the tool do it instead.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jul 21, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    I guess I was just lucky. When I did the same thing, the PO of the Off Road take-offs left the matched TPMS valve stems in the wheels. Of course they didn't match the settings in my truck, but they were there. I spoke to one of the Service managers at the Toyota Dealership, and was quoted $50 to reprogram my truck to the new (to me) TPMS. Seemed fair to me, so I stopped by mid-day when they were not busy and they did the reprogram for me in about 15 minutes. I sold my steelies with lugnuts, TPMS and center caps for about the same price as I paid for the OR wheels with TPMS.

8. Jul 21, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    AL W

AL W 10 years old and still running strong

Member:
    Youngstown, OH
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner
    Truxdeo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover Hewitt Technologies Gen2 SAIS By-pass kit

I bought a set of 16" Ultra Mavericks to replace the OEM steel wheels on my '13 Tacoma. I took them to PeP Boys and they changed out the tires and TPMS, balanced the wheels, and included security lug nuts for about $150. They didn't seem to have any problems with the change over. Below is a picture of the wheel. Regards, AL

[​IMG]

9. Jul 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
  10. Jul 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
  11. Jul 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    H0RTEN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Clutch-City
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    Thanks guys I think I've got it figured out and, bu bu bu bum Im lovin it on the TacomaWorld.

12. Jul 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    What did you end up doing?

13. Jul 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    H0RTEN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Clutch-City
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    I'm going to conjure up some TPMS that will fit the tires.

14. Jul 22, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    This is waht I did. Been fine for two years and my wheel choices are unlimited.

Products Discussed in

To Top