1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to buy my first Tacoma, I4 or V6?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dmccormick21, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    boramkiv

boramkiv On-Roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Trying to leave the asphalt
    Chesapeake VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I just bought a 2014 black double cab long bed V6 sport 6MT 4X4, and it is sweet.
    It's an addition to my garage.
    Do I need 4WD...probably not, but it's good to have and I'm sure the resale value will be much higher.
    I'm not sure double cabs come with an I-4 BTW.
    Either way I'm an all out car guy, and it's good to have a truck around...so if you're gonna do it at least do it right. Having 4WD is like having all the extra power under your foot, you never really need or use it, but the times you do you're glad you did.
    Happy looking!

2. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
  3. Jul 23, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    Echo8404

Echo8404 RetiredinAlabama

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner 4dr
    I live in the Birmingham, Al. vicinity an we have few small hills to navigate. I have a 2013 dcsb I4 automatic and do not use it for hauling or offroading and it serves my needs very well.

4. Jul 23, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    Frobozz

Frobozz Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD/OR Access Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
    I have the I4/5spd/4x4 in an Access Cab. While I do enjoy the consistent 20-23.5mpg I will say that, were I to re-purchase and have a do-over, I think I'd look at the V6/auto.

Here's some things I've observed:

- In cruise, slight uphills, 5th gear, challenge the engine to keep a constant speed.
    - Passing takes a lllooonnnggg time. Don't even think about it on an uphill.
    - When I load my rack with a canoe, ladder, a couple bicycles, or otherwise create wind drag, the I4 becomes even slower.

90% of the time my I4 is fine, and I'm not totally bummed, but sometimes the extra power would be very nice and for the couple mpg's I might lose going to the V6, I think I'd reconsider.

My previous Taco was a Reg cab/I4/5spd/4x4, and for that config I had no issues with the I4. I guess the 4-500 lbs added with the ACab pushes the limits of the I4.

5. Jul 23, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    tacoftw

tacoftw 5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously

Member:
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4
    5100s, camburg arms, toytec AAL, 285s on m/t 17x9
    V6 4x4, its worth the extra money. Plus it will hold its resale value much better

6. Jul 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    Fordless

Fordless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC SR5+
    Ummm...a 4 cylinder Toyota that doesn't last that long? If you call 300K-400K miles not that long. :rolleyes:
    Nobody does 4 bangers in a truck like Toyota. It'll work harder but it'll last just as long if not longer than a V6.

7. Jul 23, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    shotgunshooter3

shotgunshooter3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4 SR5 Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Icon Stage 4 @ +1, RCI Skid Plates, All Pro Offroad Rock Sliders, Leer 100R, Skewped hood
    I have a V6 4x4 DCSB, and my friend has an I4 2x4 DCSB. He gets all of 1-2mpg more than me combined.

8. Jul 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    tJc

tJc Well-Known Member

Member:
    North East
    Get the V6 w/ 4x4. I drive an I4 4x4 Reg. cab Auto & am good 95% of the time. Yes, I drive ~65mph. Yes, people pass me all the time. Yes, life is a bit calmer and slower in an I4. If you went Access cab, you can still get by, but you're now getting into how I feel when I load the bed down a couple hundred pounds; still fully drivable, but you really feel the limitations. Double cab? I would have an issue with it. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing since this config is what my needs were (are). If I did need "a bit more" I would go w/ a spec'd out Access, V6, 4x4.

For reference, once when I headed out into the PA to go camping, I was on a straight level stretch, driving into a medium headwind, & w/ the bed full of gear/luggage. I couldn't top 70mph. When not loaded down, acceleration isn't fast, but I can push 80 w/out too much issue. So figure the weight of gear & passengers as the difference between Regular cab & Double and you see where the I4 can be a problem.

Oh, do get the 4x4. First summer w/ it, we had a huge storm...quickly rising water type of situation. Switched that baby on & drove up over stuff you shouldn't be on to avoid a bad situation that was getting worse. A car on the other side of the road was floating by the time we were out of the area.

9. Jul 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I drove the I4 auto when mine was in the shop as a loaner from Toyota. There is no way in hell I'd have one in a DC. The thing struggled on the highway trying to pull itself and me in it.

10. Jul 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    Fordidipower

Fordidipower Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sin city
    Vehicle:
    2011 4door 4x4 4L auto-sold
    where I grew up there is no such thing as a 2wd truck haha I rearly use 4x4 but the times i needed it if i didnt have it i would have had to pay hundreds to pay for a tow truck to come get my ass. also I have saved many a car stuck in the mire. I4 or V6 meh i dont care so much but 2wd or 4wd..... 4x4 every time like saud above do it once do it right. good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of tacomas

11. Jul 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    KaPantsKey

KaPantsKey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SC
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    Honestly, if you have to ask, then I would go with the V6. I have seen 21 mpg on straight highway and consistently get 17 around town. I have a coworker that complains about his gas mileage on his I4 Access Cab. Also, please get 4x4. Having a truck will make you want to go places you would not normally consider. Not to mention, if you want to get rid of the truck for any reason, you will open your sale options to people that would normally not consider buying if it were 4x2.

12. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    csayno

csayno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD Off-Road
    Woah. Thats pretty long. Good stuff. I guess the way i drive, and hearing that engine struggle. Yeah definitely thought it'd die pretty quick...

13. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Get what you think you will need, I have the V6 AC 4x4 because I live in the mountains, with a steep gravel driveway, off an inclined gravel lane. But if I lived down the valley, it would be I4 2x4 since it is cheaper to buy and operate. I have owned many 2x4 trucks and they did just fine 99% of the time.

Howard

14. Jul 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I actually own a Double Cab Prerunner with the I4/automatic and find it pefectly adequate for my driving, which is mostly hwy/city with weekend trips into the mountains. Average mileage with mostly city driving is 21-23mpg, and long hwy trips into the mountains I get 27-29mpg with 3 in the cab plus gear and/or luggage. I'm not in a hurry to get to B from A, either, but have never had a problem keeping up with traffic or passing the slow car in the right lane on a grade when I wanted to, and don't have a problem needing to downshift on the steeper grades. I also downshift on descending grades unlike the 99% of other cars in front of me who are riding their brakes and burning them all to hell. That has more to do with effective and proper rear-end gearing than it does with engine torque, the Prerunner being adequate with the 4.10s if you're using it as a daily driver without heavy tow/haul needs.

From an owner's perspective, if you don't need 4x4 and don't plan on towing/hauling frequently, the truck I own is perfect for a people hauler and occasional trip vehicle that gets decent mileage. It's easy for non-owners of the truck you're asking about to say it sucks and it's slow, but everybody has a unique perspective. If I wanted a powerful truck, I'd get a fullsize truck with actual power and equal or better mpg capabilities, not the V6 Tacoma that offers less for the same price. The limiting factor for my truck is rear wheel spin on gravel inclines, which 4x4 would fix, but at what cost over the life of the truck? Far more expensive than some more appropriate tires than the stock Dunlop highway tires Toyota supplies, and with the lightweight composite bed it does no favors in putting weight above the rear wheels. Tires are a recurring cost anyway, and a cheap fix for poor gravel performance, especially for the added initial cost and maintenance price of the 4x4 system which may be rarely used.

Take one for a test drive (if you can find one) and see for yourself and find a couple steeper grades to drive over and see if the torque is satisfactory. If not, jump as high as your wallet allows you and be content with whatever that brings. V6 Prerunner's are a dime a dozen, so even if you don't need or want the added expense and maintenance of a transfer case that you won't use, you'll find something that suits your needs and financial allowance. Good luck!

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions from someone who owns and drives a I4 DCSB PreRunner SR5.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  15. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    Echo8404

Echo8404 RetiredinAlabama

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner 4dr

I have to agree as I have the same vehicle and it is only used for traveling locally, no towing, hauling or offroad. Heck, mine does not even have a hitch on it.

16. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    MagneticTaco79

MagneticTaco79 COLD ASS HONKY

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 2012 Tacoma AC TRD Sport 4x4
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT
  17. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    Rebelimo

Rebelimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Coatesville
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Silver streak Limo
    The tacomas are so light in the back i wouldn't even consider 4x2. if price is the issue, go used, These trucks are bomb proof, unless you do some serious offloading, i wouldn't even consider brand new.

18. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    So far I haven't installed a receiver but I will one day, not because its a tow vehicle, it isn't, but because it's a truck and therefore suited for utility. If I need to rent a piece of equipment on a trailer then it will do as fine as any other mid sized truck, which is perfect for me, even though it isn't what I'd choose if I was towing boats or travel trailer. For the occasional light/medium towing or hauling load it is easily manageable with the I4/auto DCSB 4x2.

Regularly towing or hauling at max capacity over extended trips or serious offroading isn't what all Tacoma owners do or need the capability to do. TW is a niche consumer base, not a reflection of the general truck owner, so you have to examine your own practicality and price range and go with the most efficient option for your needs. Otherwise any new person who wants to be told what to buy will get a V6 4x4 with full armor, sliders, and a Bestop. Obviously that is entirely useless to someone who commutes and wants a truck bed for gear hauling with the family, or someone like me who doesn't need crappy mileage, increased cost, and increased maintenance just "because."

19. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    KaPantsKey

KaPantsKey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SC
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    I am curious. What expense/maintenance are you speaking of for the transfer case? I few quarts of fluid changes? They don't require too much attention.

20. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    AZrunner11

AZrunner11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    12 4Runner Trail / 05 Tacoma Access Cab
    Slightly modified
    V6 all the way

Products Discussed in

To Top