1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma or 4runner?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GREGSBSPTACOMA, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Jul 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    rtrudel35

rtrudel35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Becky
    Middleton, NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    I really haven't pushed it all that much. I'm sure all the mods the guy did on his 4Runner made it sluggish but the V6 is plenty for the mostly stock 4Runner. I rather get better gas mileage with a capable V6 then shittier gas mileage with the more powerful V8.

2. Jul 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I actually like the new Trail wheels. I was disappointed when I saw them coming on the new FJs though...

...that took some of the uniqueness out.

Interesting. I'm going to have to look for this button :cool:.

3. Jul 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Here's the 2014 trail wheels in the background.

[​IMG]

4. Jul 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM
    Ghost.

Ghost. TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    2014 4runner FTMFW

Seriously though.
    I went from a heavily modded 2005 Tacoma to my 4runner.
    The taco was roomy but even stock it didn't have near the ride the 4runner has. I regret nothing.

5. Jul 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This is pretty simple , do you need to haul shit in the bed or not

6. Jul 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    Ghost.

Ghost. TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    The power is a bit more sluggish than the taco but that might be because I bought the full time 4x4 limited. I was used to being able to revisit 16 year old me and burn out 33s on the taco and you definitely don't get that with the limited but when you sink the pedal to the floor she has no problem getting up and going

7. Jul 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    Do they still make the Sequoia? If so, then its probably for product segmentation. Kinda like how Honda doesn't offer a V6 for the CRV but they do on a Pilot.

8. Jul 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    Nice insight, but having driven my dads '05, T4R, V8 the gas mileage is roughly the same as my (recently sold '10, V6, PreRunner) my dad's 4R is also 4WD (full-time IIRC) so I would bet the milage would be the same if Toyota still offered a V8. Not knocking the V6, it's just these rigs just feel so right and like they where built for a V8.

How you guys all feel about PreRunners, being castrated at the factory sans the 4WD. I feel like Toyota built the. 5th gen 4R around the idea to house a V8, then castrated it with a V6. Again, I'm sure it is buttery smooth, and works like a Swiss watch, but damn would have been perfection with a 4.6 or even 5.7 iforce.

9. Jul 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Sounds like that would cannibalize sales from Toyota's Sequoia/Tundra offerings.

Exactly something that TMC wants to avoid.

10. Jul 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    Foozer

Foozer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro - MGM
    265/75/16 BFG KO2
    I would wait for the TRD Pro series to come out and then decide. I think they come out in 2015. I was on the fence with the T4R and the Taco, but the Taco was almost $5k cheaper so I went with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCxApIeIw1k

11. Jul 25, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    pegcitytacoma

pegcitytacoma TRD OFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Winnipeg Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OFFROAD AC MGM
    At bfg's 265/75/16, color matched leer topper with Thule roof rack
    Someone had asked if I have had any problems with the wife's 4 runner ( sorry I'm on vacation posting with my phone ) and no this thing has been fantastic! In the summer off road and in the winter in the snow goes through most things with no problem also love the heated windshield for the wipers. We have the SR5 premium model witch has leather and nav with 17" rims just not all the colour matched trim but I have always liked silver with black trim check out this package if your looking for something other than the trail or premium.The power is a bit less than the taco but smother. Just on a cross Canada holiday road trip with the family so I will post up gas mileage when we get back.

12. Jul 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    BronsDaGreat

BronsDaGreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bronson
    Wahiawa, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    6" FabTech Lift 20x12 Fuel Hostage Wheels 33x12.5 Toyo M/T Camburg Uni's UCA Spintech Muffler AppRadio 3 BHLM Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners WeatherTech Vent Visors 6000k HID Headlights and fogs All Lighting Changed To LED AntennaX 13" Antenna Ceramic Tint K&N Drop In Filter Fully Debadged Blacked Out Emblem
    I got a 2013 taco and getting the wife a 2014 4runner here soon. Nice 3 inch lift perhaps.. Aurite!!

13. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    well if your lucky, you can have the Tacoma and the 4Runner :)

warden drives the 2012 Tacoma OR TX TRD, I drive the 2014 4runner LE. but when the next gen Tacoma comes out, we are replacing the Tacoma with a Limited. it's what she wants, so don't say or ask why.

going back and forth between the taco and 4R, I prefer the 4R for mid/long distance, but for short jaunts around town the taco is great. plus I don't have to mess up the back of the 4R since we can haul crap in the bed of the taco.

V8 : if you want a new 4runner with a v8, look at the Lexus GX460 (the 4runner and GX460 are based on the Prado). the reason they took away the v8 was to put it into the lexus exclusive club and upcharge, and don't expect a v8 back in the 4runner due to this.

sequoia : different platform, those and the LX570 are based on the land cruiser.

14. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    also forgot to add, here are mpg stats for the Tacoma and 4Runner to give you and idea.

1st screenshot is the Tacoma, 2nd is the 4runner.

Screenshot_2014-07-28-09-17-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-09-18-23.jpg

15. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    19 - GX-460

Exactly.... I really like the GX460. Maybe I'm getting old. Or maybe the wife's 2013 MDX has spoiled me (it rides sooooo nice). But I just test drove a 14 limited and I'm about to trade in my beloved Tacoma.

The title of the original post is Taco or T4R. And as everyone mentioned there are pros/cons. I don't think it's a clear winner. Rather it's what are you looking for (as OZ noted... he's a freakin book on our trucks)....

As many of you already stated... do you need cargo or not??? I can hunt deer in either vehicle. I can go the same deep western PA woods in either vehicle. I can go to Corolla 8 miles up the beach in either vehicle. I can be totally confident if the wife takes the boys up to Erie both vehicles will transport them safely and reliably.

They are both really really great reliable fun trucks that have a huge loyal following. I don't think it's a "which is better" but more of "what is better for you" type of question.

My personal situation is the boys are getting older (and bigger) and would like the recline back seats. I do not haul high over the cab loads or long loads of stuff. Even with my heated leather seats that I have in my Taco I can tell you the limited seats were more comfortable. The ability to have more lockable storage area (I only have a bed cover) is appealing since my job requires me to fly my ass around the globe and I'm always making sure the bed is empty. I would like the ability to store more stuff securely in the T4R.

On the flip side I do get about 14 yards (takes multiple trips) of mulch for the beds around the house. I can't do that with a T4R.

So if all things are equal...and they are pretty close between the two vehicles mechanically (minus the limited diff)...it really comes down to what do you need???

I personally really like both trucks. Are they the fastest....the biggest...the most popular...

Probably not. But you know what....They are freaking awesome all around vehicles. They can both take you anywhere you want to go. And with a little modification....(because if you are reading this post in a Tacoma forum chances are you caught the mod bug) you can go any where and depending on the mod make the biffy 335 guys wonder how a truck is keeping pace with them!

Love this forum. Love my truck. If I do trade in the truck you can bet it's on a T4R.

16. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:59 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    if you have time and want to be really swayed on the T4R, go looking thru the 5th Gen section of T4R forums.

there is so much info on mods/etc on them its detrimental to your marriage/relationship.

on the GX460, the biggest issue is the swing out rear door compared to the overhead one on the 4runner and the rear window doesn't roll down. plus the price of a new one is about 10-15k higher than a loaded Limited 4Runner. Used GX460 Low Miles and 1-2 yrs old are around the same price as a new 4Runner LE

ps: if you do get a GX, don't be surprised if the spouse steals it from you, the new GX's ride so nice for a BOF suv its scary how many spouse's love it compared to others and the 5k price drop from 2013's is making them hit this year with a possible doubling of sales from last year.

GX460 Rear Door.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  17. Jul 29, 2014 at 5:53 AM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    I have a '12 DCSB OR, wife's daily driver is a '13 SR5 4x4, both with mild lifts. I get plenty of seat time in both. Both run identical tires on stock rims.

Differences I've noted:

The stock suspension on the 4Runner was too soft and wallowy for my tastes. Icon suspension made a huge improvement.

The throttle/shift mapping on the 4Runner is completely different. Most vehicles sold in US are programmed such that the throttle is non linear - 50% pedal movement gives you more like 80% throttle - both of my Tacoma's are like that. The 4Runner throttle seems to be completely linear - 50% throttle gives you 50% throttle. The 4Runner V6 needs more revs to make its power than the Tacoma. The 5th gear overdrive on the 4Runner engages too soon, feels too tall. All of this conspires to make the 4Runner feel sluggish at first blush. Side by side acceleration shows that they have virtually identical performance.

I manually shift my Tacoma auto all the time because I enjoy it. The 4Runner goes in manual mode any time I'm driving to keep the overdrive locked out below highway speeds.

The back seats on the 4runner are comfortable and have plenty of leg room. The 4Runner rear seats recline. 2 grown men can be comfortable in the 4Runner rear seats for extended trips - you've sat in the back of your Tacoma?

Gas mileage is identical for identical set-ups (4wd, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, mild lifts). 4Runner has a slightly bigger gas tank, but not a lot (1 gal?)

Driving both on and off road the 4Runner feels like a much larger vehicle. The 4Runner feels heavier, more solid more substantial in a pleasant confidence inspiring way.

The rear suspension of the 4Runner is significantly better than the Tacoma. It handles better, soaks up bumps better on and off road.

I like both vehicles, but overall I prefer the 4Runner. If it were time for me to get a new vehicle I would probably buy a new TE 4Runner. My wife had the '07 Tacoma as her daily driver for a few years, so she's got plenty of seat time in both. She really liked the Tacoma, but also prefers the 4Runner.

HTH

David

18. Jul 29, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    1 more thing - the 4runner is better insulated and quieter than the Tacoma's.

David

19. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    pegcitytacoma

pegcitytacoma TRD OFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Winnipeg Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OFFROAD AC MGM
    At bfg's 265/75/16, color matched leer topper with Thule roof rack
    Just got back from my family road trip with the wife's 2013 4 Runner and got highway mileage of 24.7 MPG and that was loaded up and with the cruise control set at 125-130 KPH going on some hilly roads for the most part. I was very happy with the gas mileage as my taco does not get close to this! This is a great family trip vehicle and would recommend it to anyone.

20. Aug 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    I wanted a truck. I have a Tacoma. If I wanted a SUV, the 4 runner would have been a strong contender.

Products Discussed in

To Top