1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Advice - new truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wilsonpj, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    All,

After about 5 years away from 4x4's, I've decided it's time to sell the rice rocket STi and get back into the off road world and have decided on a Tacoma. I've had in the past mostly FJ-60's, and a Tundra for work use.

I was looking for advice/recommendations on the models for years 04-07. I like the double cab, 5ft bed, but not sure on the sport/off road packages.

In the end I'd like 3-4in lift so I'm not sure how that would play into the packages that Toyota offers.

Any advice would be great, specifics or just in general.

2. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    I would say Sport, just because the freakin hood scoop looks awesome. The offroad and sport can both have 4x4 options I believe..

3. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    Get the short bed with the shorter wheel base, because the longer wheel base will get you stuck on the top of steep hills and such.
    I have the sport but the off road is better for off roading hahaha... because it has the Downhill Control and uphill assist.... but more importantly you get a locking rear diff in the off road version. Shocks probably don't matter because you gonna lift it and probably will replace those neways.

Hood scoop has no functionality besides cosmetic, it is hard to see over when your wheelin and need to see the terrain.

But for your purposes. The locking rear diff would be the determining factor.

4. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    TRD OR has a locking rear Diff

TRD Sport has a Limited slip differential, no locker, color matched grill, bumper, door handles, and the hood scoop.

Both have little things included like temp/compass display, different interior...etc.

The first two lines are the biggies though.

5. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I chose the off road strictly because I want to go.. off road. Locker is always helpful!

6. Apr 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    I have a buddy that has the Off Road package ad complains all the time that when he is in 4 wheel drive the traction control is horrible. Is this true? I'm not sure what else you need than 4 wheel drive. I've lived in Colorado my whole life and never needed more.

What is the deal with the traction control units on the sport and off road versions?

7. Apr 13, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    The difference is the Sport doesn't have any.

8. Apr 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    I love my '09 TRD Offroad... The traction control works good for me, and when it doesn't, I turn it off... I like the fact that they are a ton of options to choose for offroading and various road conditions... Traction Control, VSC, A-TRAC, DAC, Hill Start Assist, Auto LSD, and I can turn off the Roll Curtain Side Airbags...

Yesterday we had ~10" of wet snow, and I was very impressed with the way my truck handled it... I live in the Colorado mountains, and so far, my truck has been phenominal... I've used every option on my truck and I only have 1500 miles on my truck...

I would recommend the DC SB TRD Offroad to anyone interested in a mid-size PU truck...

PS- Got the rear leaf spring TSB and some new tires last week... :D

Products Discussed in

To Top