1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Tacoma whistle noise from air vent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DTS419, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    DTS419

DTS419 [OP] Member

Member:
    Lancaster County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I've got about 500 miles on my 2014 TRD Sport DC and I am getting a very irritating whistling noise between 45-75 mph. The whistle is not extremely loud, but it is just audible enough to be annoying, especially when cruising at highway speeds. It is high pitch like when you just crack a window open, but not as loud.

Some internet searching has revealed that various whistling and wind noises have been prevalent in Tacomas in recent years. The two most common sources of whistling in the last couple years' models seems to be either the rubber seal under the hood or the windshield seal. I tried the common remedy of inserting a rubber tube in the hood seal and that did not solve the problem. Based on some youtube videos of the windshield seal whistle, I do not believe that is my problem either.

I have been able to narrow down the whistle to what I think is the cabin air vent intake. The whistle noise stops when I press the re-circulate button or switch to Max A/C. Also, the noise is loudest on the driver side and seems to be coming from around where the air intake is between the hood and the windshield. This all leads me to suspect that when the cabin fan is drawing air in from the outside, either a seal isn't right or something in that ductwork is causing the whistling noise. When the re-circulation is turned on, that intake must close off and the noise goes away.

I will be calling the dealer in the morning to schedule an appointment and will post my results. I'm curious if anyone else has been experiencing anything similar.

2. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    tacoman00

tacoman00 Your Average Joe

Member:
    Rockville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Toytec BOSS 2.0 lift, 18x9 Fuel Rebels, 32” BFG AT K02.
    If its a chirping like noise its most likely your blower motor on your AC. theres a write up on it. Mine only does it when i have the AC on low. You gotta remove the blower motor and grease it up and put it back in or just deal with the noise.

3. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    I've heard of wind noise coming from the fresh air outlet (behind the back seat assy) but I'd definitely bring it back to the dealer since it's only got 500 miles on it...

4. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    DTS419

DTS419 [OP] Member

Member:
    Lancaster County, PA
    Vehicle:
    No I don't think it's a chirping noise. It definitely sounds like air whistling, and it is a function of vehicle speed. If it was the fan motor itself I would expect to hear that at all speeds.

5. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    its your grill gasket. Open your hood, Look down dead center of the grill there is a gasket that runs along the top. Its hollow, get a piece of 1/4 dripper pipe, or 1/4in ice maker water line and run it through the bigger of the two holes.... walla no more teakettle whistle.

6. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    DTS419

DTS419 [OP] Member

Member:
    Lancaster County, PA
    Vehicle:
    Did you read my post?

7. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    DTS419

DTS419 [OP] Member

Member:
    Lancaster County, PA
    Vehicle:
    Update: Problem turned out to be air passing through the door into the driver side rear view mirror. Service Manager thought air was passing over the wire and causing the whistle like blowing over a blade of grass. Pressing the recirculate button must have changed the cabin pressure just enough to change air flow over the wire. He said he has never seen this before. The adjusted the position of the wire and added insulation and problem solved.

Now that that noise is solved, I am now getting noise from the window seal, which I will post a separate thread about.

8. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Interesting. I noticed some newer Toyota models have these strakes on the mirror mount. They may be there to smooth over the airflow or stop the little triangle piece from lifting away from the door at high speeds. Vehicle shown is the Lexus GX460, which shares the Prado-based platform with the Taco.

IMG_5728%2BLX_dd9b094c5adccf33bc4025ae9ceffb0a1627730e.jpg

9. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)

Can you link me to that post, because i am having that same kind of noise on mine as well, from the window. I just noticed it, and mines a 2014 DCSB, only has about 3000 miles on it.

10. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    DTS419

DTS419 [OP] Member

Member:
    Lancaster County, PA
    Vehicle:
    Glad to know I am not the only 2014 owner out there going crazy over this stuff. Both the wife and dealer think I am crazy but I know what I am hearing and for $30,000 and that Toyota emblem on the grill I expect a quality ride, not whistle and air leak noise.

Anyway, I actually just found this thread which I think is the EXACT same thing I am hearing. I will try the tape fix this weekend and post results.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/185461-wind-noise-window-anyone-fixed.html

11. Aug 8, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White TRD Off-road SR5 6 Speed
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    I have a 2011 and I get a small almost clicking noise when my fan is on the lowest setting

12. Aug 8, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    I get a very loud whistling noise that appears to be coming from the passenger side window or side mirror on my 2013 DCSB, when I go above 70-75mph on the highway. It is intermittent but very loud and annoying. I wonder if that's similar to what you are experiencing

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. Aug 8, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    smithr1730

smithr1730 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '15 TX Pro
    Offroad parts and such
    A little off topic, but when I owned my WRX the hood scoop would wistle anytime i went above 110 mph lol :D

btw glad you got your first problem fixed OP! :thumbsup:

14. Aug 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    TW: New insanity support group :D

15. Aug 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    Sheepshead45

Sheepshead45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I had the exact same thing - I replaced the cabin air filter which had some leaves & junk accumulated, clicking gone.

16. Aug 9, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    Thanks I will try that...you wouldn't happen to have a link on how to remove the cabin air filter?

17. Aug 9, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
  18. Aug 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Haha thank you Sheep, FINALLY the fan doesn’t make any more clicking noises. There was a ton of leaves and junk in the filter.

19. Dec 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    refokus

refokus Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCSB
    I have an air problem as well, the dealer says it was designed that way. Larry miller Toyota in Peoria. The service guy sucks.

It happens around 75-85 mph and gets worse when the wind blows. Sounds like it's coming from the vents and not the windshield or window area. When I say noise it howls. Ideas?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  20. Dec 18, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    DTS419

DTS419 [OP] Member

Member:
    Lancaster County, PA
    Vehicle:
    I had two noise sources on my 2014 TRD sport. First noise was a whistling at speeds 40 mph and over. Sounded like it was coming from the vents and went away when I pushed the air recirculate button. Dealer discovered that it was air leaking around the driver side rear view mirror where the wires go out to the mirror. They resealed the mirror housing and problem solved.

Second source was the noise from the window seal. I installed the window rain guards and that helped a lot. Didn't eliminate the noise but made it very minimal.

I finally resigned myself to the fact that in this day and age everything is made as cheap as possible in the name of economy and nothing will be perfect. Shouldn't be that way but it's the times we live in. I like my truck but for a toyota I just has an altogether light and flimsy feel to it.

Products Discussed in

To Top