1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frontier V6 Crew Cab or Tacoma 4 cyl Access?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gallatin, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    Gallatin

Gallatin [OP] Member

Member:
    I can get both for the same price, brand new. Both are 4x4's.

I'm a Toyota guy, always have been. But this is just too tempting.

Thanks for any feedback!

:)

2. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Frontier

V6>4cyl

More room
    Boxed frame.

Simple choice

3. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    The Frontier Pro 4x are at least 28k. So the Frontier you must be looking at is a simple plain one? Or a used nice one? How much are they? Brand new? Give some more info and we can help more. (You do realize your comparing a Tacoma vs Frontier on a forum called Tacoma World right?). Post the same question on the Nissan Forum and see the opposite results.

Edit: I guess to answer the question you asked I would have to pick Double Cab. I have a baby girl and need the back seat room for the car seat. Didnt mean to sound like a jackass above. Just that more info, pictures, and packages of both trucks would be helpful. (And of course youre on a Tacoma Forum :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    Gallatin

Gallatin [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the comments. :)

The Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 V6 is the "S" model, with auto. It's $24,900. The manual is The Tacoma 4cyl with convenience package is a manual trans, for $24, 482.

There's also a Frontier extended cab V6 4x4 auto SV for $24,780.

These are all new.

I love Toyota, but I feel like the feature set here is disproportionate.

5. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    liveload

liveload Active Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Cab
    In my opinion (FWIW)...Keep shopping, you can find better deals than that. Check Autotrader.com for instance. Widen your search radius to include a comfortable (for you) day trip worth of driving to and from. I'm certain you can find a good deal on a lease turn in or recent trade with little to no real use on the clock by doing some legwork.

6. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Have you driven the Nissan? I really like the Frontiers. They handle nice and are peppy as hell. The 2013 I drove had some electrical problems right from there factory though - the cruise control would keep cutting out, and it actually died a couple times. Also, when you turn tightly it sounds like the front wheels are binding as if you were in 4wd. It was weird. Both would be warranty issues and the truck gets great reviews. I have a crew cab and would never buy the access cab - I vote Nissan.

7. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    Gallatin

Gallatin [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks liveload, but I'm only interested in buying new. I keep my cars for about ten to twelve years, and buy new each time.

8. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Funny, I thought the Frontier felt weak compared to my Tacoma. I know they make more power, but maybe it's because of the extra weight (no composite bed) and that I believe the Frontier I drove had 3.36 gears in it and my Tacoma has 3.73s.

After having a Frontier as a rental for a week (SV V6 Double Cab 5 ft Bed), the test drive of my 2011 Tacoma was literally a night and day difference. The only thing the Frontier had on it was the seating position, but that isn't hard to get used to. I wanted so badly to like the Frontier because I could have had one with more options cheaper, but I think I discovered why the price difference exists and why I see so many more Tacomas here.

9. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Gallatin

Gallatin [OP] Member

Member:

I did drive the Nissan. It felt similar to the Tacoma, IMHO. However, I strongly preferred the driving position in in the Nissan. Less lawn chair, more upright.

That said, I love Toyota reliability. My Camry is a tank that has seen more offroad than most suburban SUV's.

10. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    Go for the Frontier.
    You'll be happier.

11. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    MagneticTaco79

MagneticTaco79 COLD ASS HONKY

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 2012 Tacoma AC TRD Sport 4x4
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT
    Now head on over to Frontier World or whatever the hell their website is and see if every one recommends the Tacoma! Spend the extra money and buy a V6 Tacoma and be extra happy. After 10 or 12 years when your ready to trade it in the several thousand extra you get on trade in will offset the difference!!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  12. Jul 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    RevoTaco

RevoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Sold - 08 6SP 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road
    I say fork out the extra cash to get a V6 Tacoma Double Cab Auto and buy that...whatever the extra cost, you'll get it back when you do sell the truck. Tacoma's hold their value like no other.

13. Jul 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I had a 2006 Frontier access cab. No way would I even consider going back to the Nissan. I loved my 1995 hardbody Nissan (still miss that truck) but the new Frontiers have ZERO in common with the old trucks. The Tacoma rides better and definitely turns better when it comes to parking. The Nissan is quick off the line but the gearing isn't the best as it seems to hang at 45 mph. Don't get me wrong, I liked my Frontier but if I had to do over I would have kept the '95 and bought a Tacoma the first time.

14. Jul 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    Fordidipower

Fordidipower Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sin city
    Vehicle:
    2011 4door 4x4 4L auto-sold
    Nissan..... Easy choise. 1) it is a 4door, if your going to buy something and live with it for a long time then that's a must in my book 2) no frame rust issues that I know of for nissan. Honestly it really bothers me that Toyota uses such cheap metal 3) fully boxed frame, just stronger over all 4) they really are nice trucks I would not mind owning one.

Don't get me wrong I love my taco but to me this issue is splitting hairs. Good luck

15. Jul 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    Keep shopping. I got my double cab tacoma 4x4 for $26,200+ttl.

Also tacoma timing chain vs frontier timing belt (iirc).

16. Jul 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    I know Op doesn't care about re-sale value (he keeps his vehicle 10-12 years) but even though it is a cheaper "buy-in" it will cost you later in lower re-sale .Vs Tacoma.

I've had both, there are things I like and hate about both. For instance Nissan has a better seating position (more chair like) .vs sports car, legs straight out in the Tacoma. Nissan has a way better bed tie-down setup, and the box is slight larger. The Frontier V6 has more torque, but is not quicker than the V6 Tacoma despite having more power.

I like the Tacoma seats better, and I know biased but I think the Tacoma looks more like a man. The dash and interior storage is better in a Frontier, both are fairly dated though and spartan.

That said, probably would buy the Tacoma, four Cyl and all hands down over the Frontier V6. BTW that VQ, V6 is nice, but it gets worse fuel economy in the real world .vs Tacoma's. V6. I had a 2008, Crew , Longbox, 4x4 probably the heaviest version of the truck, avg'd a V8 like 14-15 mostly.

17. Jul 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    One other thing that bugs me about Frontiers, are that you are paying for a 4x4, but the clearance is equal to a Tacoma 5-lug. When I had my '08 Frontier, 4x4 I ripped the front valance off the first week on a parking block. My '14 Tacoma PreRunner is a good 8" from ripping any body parts off in a parking lot.

People on the Frontier forums will argue the Frontier is the same height and has the same clearance as the Tacoma, but that is false. They sit much lower to the ground, which means you need to level or lift to handle fire roads. And news flas, almost nobody makes a lift for the Frontier except the just ok, but expensive Calmini kits.

18. Jul 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    new f150, their both junk. unless your from down south away from road salt, then get the tacoma.

19. Jul 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    I just sold my '13 FX4, EcoBoost. Wake me up when Ford fixes the crappy electric power steering issue, slip-yoke thunk, towing and hauling shudder from too soft of rear springs + axle wrap. I can go on and on, look up 5.0L V8 oil consumption (my 2011 F-150 XLT, 5.0 used 1qt every 1K miles) EcoBoost engines are still plagued with the condensation in the intercooler issue (although mine never did) other issues with late model F-150's are leaking CHMSL gasket that leak rain water into the cab, the sunroof that gets jambed and is a $2k repair outside of warranty. Etc, Etc.....

If you need a Full-Sized the Tundra is known to be the least troublesome. Although I admit, I loved that twin turbo 3.5 when the rest of the truck worked correctly.

20. Jul 25, 2014 at 2:27 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Dirt King makes anything you need for Nissan and their fab work is sick : http://shop.dirtkingfabrication.com/05-Frontier_c3.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top