Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

pin striping

Old 04-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
MyTRD is on a distinguished road
MyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
pin striping

Question. I have an 09 off road trd in silver. I really think it looks a bit plain. I am wondering if a pin stripe would bring it some life. Anybody have any pics of their pin striping or ideas? Just want to be sure I make the right decision. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
My experience with pin stripes is that the look fine at first, but after 5 years the really start to crack, and look like crap.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
MyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Red face pin striping

No off roading for me. Keeping it shined up. Too expensive to scratch. I only got the 4 wheel drive because of the crappy winters in the midwest. My old 4 cylinder prerunner didn't do the trick. I did many 180's in busy intersections taking turns in the snow. Makes you feel stupid when you are having trouble navigating a truck that looks like a 4 by 4 but really isn't. Anyway, I would prefer to stay away from "natural" pin striping. If anyone has any pics of their stripes, please share.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
sure...go bold though...no use putting a stripe on there and no one can see it. Not some fat stripe...just a bold color to stand off the silver. wth, it's only tape...if you don't like it, change to a different color later.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Got my Arizona pinstripes for free
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
MyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Jolayiv,

Thanks soooo much for the pics. Now I think I know what I want!! That really looks nice. Thanks again..
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTRD View Post
Jolayiv,

Thanks soooo much for the pics. Now I think I know what I want!! That really looks nice. Thanks again..
No problem.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
huskertacoma is on a distinguished road
huskertacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Silver Pin Stripes on Black

I have silver pin stripes on Black Sand Pearl. A body shop installed them for $30 including labor.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
Here is one of the only pics of my 06 with a pinstripe. Sorry it isn't better.
My 08 doesn't have pinstripes. At first I thought it was naked but now I don't miss the pinstripe.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 AM   #13
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
with all this talk of pin stripping (4 months ago)... how do you remove the factory pin stripes?

is it painted on? or is more of a sticker?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
with all this talk of pin stripping (4 months ago)... how do you remove the factory pin stripes?

is it painted on? or is more of a sticker?
There are no factory pin stripes, it's dealer applied. Mine came with them, personally I think they're tacky and ugly as sin. "Less is more" in my book. Anyway, here was my BSP with dealer applied stripes:

As she is today:
Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
lol.... picture whore

thanks for all of the pictures of your truck.... but how do you remove pin stripes?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #16
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
lol.... picture whore

thanks for all of the pictures of your truck.... but how do you remove pin stripes?
I put the same number as husker... just tried to get front side/back side and current for comparison tch...

Anyway, removing is easy... I just used my thumb and rubbed them off. They were that pathetic. lol.

I also used a little meguires quik detail for some lube here and there and to kinda buff out the sticky residue. After that was done washed it up and threw some wax down.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #17
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Tape pin stripes are OK, I worked in a body shop and we installed them on just about anything.
However, really good pinstripes should be done by a professional pin striper, just find a some guys who have bikes and ask them who did there work. Sit down with a real professional and talk over what you would like and look at his work.

Jeff , 06, V6 SR5 , 6spd
Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Tape pin stripes are OK, I worked in a body shop and we installed them on just about anything.
However, really good pinstripes should be done by a professional pin striper, just find a some guys who have bikes and ask them who did there work. Sit down with a real professional and talk over what you would like and look at his work.

Jeff , 06, V6 SR5 , 6spd

i want the pin stripes removed... not added
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #19
Iron Beard

He was responding to the OP, who does want pin stripes :/ Plus I told you how I took mine off already :/
Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
There are many ways to skin a cat , so to speak, as I am a cat lover. When removing tape stripes a gentle bit of warm to hot air from a heat gun will loosen the glue very nicely and just pull. Then a bit of wax remover solvent, like body shops use to clean the vehicle before putting stripes on. Then wax and you are set.
If by chance you have painted stripes , they can be removed "gently" with very fine sand paper and a rubber block and then a bit of compound on a slow orbital wheel , wash all that off and your ready to wax...... work on the tailgate first if its striped, so you have an idea of how its coming along, as it is small.
Worse yet speak to a auto body guy and bring your vehicle......sometimes it painted stripes have been on a long time they will leave marks and sometimes repainting will be needed. Just a few thoughts.....

PS. Thanks "dud122" for straightening out the pic of my truck. We visit Baltimore a couple times a year on our way thru to Silver Spring, MD. I enjoy the Bass Pro Shop in Servern, MD.
Jeff , 06, V6 , SR5, 6spd, Radiant Red.