1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baby on way...what to do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Oey12, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Aug 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Second the ARE Z series cap. Maybe you could find a used one.

2. Aug 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    I have an are I took off a used trade in and can't imagine life without it now

3. Aug 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    I'm struggling with a similar question...love the versatility of a rollup tonneau but need/want more room for tools. Thinking of a bestop and can get a good deal but found a used color matched are v series for about the same price. Also want a roof rack and know I can easily add one to the are cap or get one that fits over the besttop which I may do even with the are cap. I know it's my question to answer but it's tough both have their pros and cons.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Aug 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New York
    Vehicle:
    SOLD:2012 TRD Sport 2017 SR5 4Runner
    Toytec 1/2 spacers, A.R.E Z, Firestone airbags
    It really is a PITA decision because I do love the Bakflip but it does not provide enough room. A few months back me and a few buddies went shooting and I filled the bed to the brim. We had a cooler, a very small grill, a few rifles, and small stuff. And I had to put stuff in the cab. I know the babies stuff is bulkier and I do realize it's going to be a while before I will travel with a newborn but I if can't buy a used one I don't know if I am going want to drop that much on a new one while I have a newborn. I really have no clue what to do...and everyone brought up good points pro and con.

5. Aug 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have been considering this too. 2 y.o. already and another on the way (Nov.).
    Right now the truck has a Trifecta but was thinking cap or Bestop.
    Took one trip with packing stuff under the cover. Would have been easier with a cap/Bestop.
    Only problem I am having is how to get the bike in the bed. I ride with my son and his carrier right now. So easy to throw those in the bed with the Trifecta folded over.
    What to do...:(

6. Aug 4, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    I have a 1.5 year old when we go some where we take the big stroller her diaper bag and a small cooler. All of that easily fits within the limits of the bed. You will probably be fine with your flipbak unless you plan on hauling more than that. I love my camper but it was also free. You are going to buy all the baby stuff before it's born load up the truck as is now and see do you really need the topper

7. Aug 4, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Switch vehicles

Honestly if my kids were still young and I was dealing with the diaper bags and strollers and stuff I wouldn't own a Tacoma. Shoot when we had our second we went from a full truck (extended cab only) to a minivan and traveling was oh so nice. Some vehicles just don't work well for those with young kids; people who say their Tacoma does don't understand how much easier things can be with the proper vehicle.

I love trucks and prefer the midsize ones like the Tacoma (why I now own one), but I had to put my wants aside and choose a vehicle that worked best for the family. As much as I hated the thought of driving a minivan it was by far the best road trip vehicle I have ever owned and we went everywhere with that thing. I actually miss it sometimes.

I can see how a full size crew cab truck would be almost just as efficient as my minivan was, but I can't see how a Tacoma will ever be a good family vehicle for those with 2 young children.

8. Aug 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    Make sure you feed it.. Those things need food

9. Aug 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    DrFunker

Member:
    This one is mine and I plan to keep it for a while. My wife has her car. I have always had a truck and didn't want to lose the practicality of a truck. I think a DC Tacoma can be just as, if not more than, useful as a minivan. Just have to use some creative thought to get there.

10. Aug 4, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    DrFunker

Member:
    Food and water. Just watch out after midnight.
    :cookiemonster:

11. Aug 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    f'n gremlins

Products Discussed in

To Top