Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Silver steering wheel trim stupid idea in a truck!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pool Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Silver steering wheel trim stupid idea in a truck!

Does anyone on TW know off hand if these trim pieces are replaceable? or can be removed? Took my truck to Toyota for it's first "Free" oil change at 5,000 miles. Would have done myself, but it was "Free" and I just don't have the time really.

Anyway, later on today while driving, much after I had left the dealer of course, I felt and noticed a gouge or scratch in the silver plastic trim on my steering wheel. Definitely wasn't there prior to my service visit. Also guy that moved my truck was a BIG dude, probably scratched it on his belt buckle.

You know when I first got my 2014, I said under my breath how stupid the design of that trim is, for a high-wear zone IMO, and it wouldn't be long before that trim there started looking like $hit. Anyway, I've been searching online at various parts diagrams, and not one breaks the steering wheel down enough to get those parts. Tried to pry the trim off with little luck, gave up before I broke it alltogether, (the lower portion snaps off) but the upper appears to be bolted or screwed under the air-bag assy (I really hope not) If there is no replacement part avail, I'm just going to sand it, and paint matt black and move on. But would still like to know how it comes off the wheel.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Remember?
sr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bret
sr5vic's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they are, but you need to remove the airbag.

Disconnect you negative terminal
Locate 2 roughly 2 Sq.in. black panels on either side of the backside of the steering wheel and remove with a small flat head.
Remove the 2 torques head screws (think they're a T30?)
Carefully pull out the airbag portion of the steering wheel and rest it on the steering column.
Remove the 4 philips head screws holding the 2 side controls.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Tacoma Addict
stevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
stevespens's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go back to the dealer and say something. They will at least look at it and may do something for you. Especially if you bought it there. Do they want return customers???
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5vic View Post
Yes they are, but you need to remove the airbag.

Disconnect you negative terminal
Locate 2 roughly 2 Sq.in. black panels on either side of the backside of the steering wheel and remove with a small flat head.
Remove the 2 torques head screws (think they're a T30?)
Carefully pull out the airbag portion of the steering wheel and rest it on the steering column.
Remove the 4 philips head screws holding the 2 side controls.

Great, thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespens View Post
I'd go back to the dealer and say something. They will at least look at it and may do something for you. Especially if you bought it there. Do they want return customers???
I hear ya, but after the fact it's kind of here-say. Honestly, I didn't notice it until later in the day, while making a U-turn.

I didn't buy the Tacoma I'm driving today from them, but I did buy a 2007 there many years ago . Who knows, maybe I will just leave it as is, and possibly mask it off in place and Plasti-Dip it black? I wish I could replace with the base-model black trim. But I don't think the base black trim is available with the entune, and volume controls?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Again though, why that plastic trim curls under the steering wheel like that, is beyond me. Should be completely leather all the way around the ring. I feel like my wedding ring scratches it every now and then as it is, but it doesn't, just feels like it. I'm sorry to be OCD about this, I just hate having damage right in front of my line of sight when driving.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Working at the Nauga Ranch (Not for long)
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I would take it back. They broke it, they fix it. I would be more tactfull than that though
Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
I would take it back. They broke it, they fix it. I would be more tactfull than that though
I hear ya, but it's not really broke. I can already see the movie on this though. The SO was pretty savy about damage when I dropped it off. He didn't look at my interior, but he did point out the rock chip in my glass, and went around the outside looking for scratches.

So they will most definitely deny it, not worth the hassle IMO. I would rather find the part and replace it myself, before anything else is damaged. I feel like cars/ trucks get a little more damage every time they are in someone else's hands.

I have yet to find a reputable tire shop that can remove lugnuts or wheel weights without damaging the wheel in the process.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
I get you man ... I am so OCD it drives me crazy at times ... I am not a big fan of the silver trim on the wheel and have felt my fingers "catch" a couple of times.

As you have already said ... just let it go.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Does anyone know if the base Tacoma's with the all black steering wheel trim, had the full Bluetooth, Entune and volume control option? I think I found the parts here...

http://www.oemtoyotapartsgroup.com/a...04-674470.html

And if I'm going to the extent to remove the Airbag assy, It would be worth the $33/ each to change to the OEM black version .Vs the IMO cheesy and easy to scratch silver.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
DK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: D
DK2006Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe someone can confirm. Swear I've seen some base model 2012+s that instead of that silver, it was black? Might be an option, though probably not worth the effort.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
DK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDK2006Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: D
DK2006Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
Does anyone know if the base Tacoma's with the all black steering wheel trim, had the full Bluetooth, Entune and volume control option? I think I found the parts here...

http://www.oemtoyotapartsgroup.com/a...04-674470.html

And if I'm going to the extent to remove the Airbag assy, It would be worth the $33/ each to change to the OEM black version .Vs the IMO cheesy and easy to scratch silver.
Nice, we came up with that at the same time
Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Base models are black but do not have any options so there are no controls on the wheel as your model.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...6400/overview/

Look through the pics.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Looks like my only option may be to find the black trim from a '14 T4R, Trail like this. *Except my truck doesn't have that DISP button under the Bluetooth side. I wonder what that button does on the display? Perhaps it would work for something on my Tacoma?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
Base models are black but do not have any options so there are no controls on the wheel as your model.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...6400/overview/

Look through the pics.
I'd almost be willing to lose the steering wheel controls, I don't ever really use them, aside from the volume.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
Looks like my only option may be to find the black trim from a '14 T4R, Trail like this. *Except my truck doesn't have that DISP button under the Bluetooth side. I wonder what that button does on the display? Perhaps it would work for something on my Tacoma?

I like this ... day one I took out the center console and sprayed it black.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
I like this ... day one I took out the center console and sprayed it black.
That was a good idea. My 2010, had the silver painted center console/ cup holder thing. Since I bought that truck used, always bothered me the previous owner scuffed it up so bad.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Could always sandblast your current plastics with a very fine media and then clear it with a matte finish.

I have sanded the silver of plastics before and it is alot of work to get it smooth enough to not show sanding scratches once cleared. Sandblasting or sodablasting was the best route.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #19
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Down the line I want to just color match mine to the headunit trim. Based on the color of the black headunit trim, I feel like Toyota black sand pearl is a good match. Getting black trim isn't going to magically protect it from scratches either. Then again I have never managed to scratch that trim so I don't know how black trim will fare any better than silver.

And honest advice, before you go ripping things apart, you should always check on here to see if someone has disassembled it. It could save you headache from tearing your stuff up and having to replace what you broke. In this instance someone has posted a thread a while back on how to take it off that could have saved you the trouble.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
Down the line I want to just color match mine to the headunit trim. Based on the color of the black headunit trim, I feel like Toyota black sand pearl is a good match. Getting black trim isn't going to magically protect it from scratches either. Then again I have never managed to scratch that trim so I don't know how black trim will fare any better than silver.

And honest advice, before you go ripping things apart, you should always check on here to see if someone has disassembled it. It could save you headache from tearing your stuff up and having to replace what you broke. In this instance someone has posted a thread a while back on how to take it off that could have saved you the trouble.
That's a good idea, I found this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-my-08-a.html. Although it isn't a 2012+ Steering wheel, it should be close enough. I think I'm going to go the spray-it-myself route, but that leaves me with a silver painted volume control.

Going to wait and call Toyota on Monday and get an actual part number for the Toyota. I don't trust the online vendors, as Toyota made several variations of trim pieces and I don't want to end up with the wrong one.