1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Went For An Oil Change, Told I'm Getting A New 6spd Transmission

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoTrooper, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    :confused:

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    You would think they would just replace the output shaft guide sleeve and seal, I have had these go out in older cars back in the day, really cheap fix...

Hope it works out for you...nothing like new...

3. Aug 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    Today I was trying to replicate the sound by going over train tracks. The funny thing is that the chatter sound seemed to only occur as the rear wheels went over the tracks, not the front, but still only with the clutch pedal to the floor.
    Still no word back from the dealer.

4. Aug 9, 2014 at 2:48 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Sounds like reverse powerflow to me ;)

5. Aug 9, 2014 at 3:22 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    if it only makes noise with the clutch all the way in, over bumps, I would guess it is most likely a transmission mainshaft BEARING issue. I suspect your dealer knows something that we don't...as in a silent "recall" on select bad transmissions.

6. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    jci2005

jci2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Richfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma double cab 6sp
    20% tint,vent visors,custom sub box, are camper shell,fog lights on anytime mod, 3 inch lift
    I have the same noise in my 2006. I took it to the dealership several times when it was under warranty. I even rode with the technician on a test drive. They told me it was normal, I call BS, but my truck now has 168k on it now and it has not given me any issues. Good luck though!

7. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White TRD Off-road SR5 6 Speed
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    I guess you need to move to Canada to get any warranty work done to a Tacoma haha...I’m very interested to see/hear about the outcome since I also have a 6 speed

8. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    TacoTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    A small update. The truck has gone to the shop. The mechanic drives the same model with 6spd and also used to work at a transmission shop. I took those as good omens.

Yesterday, as I was slowly moving forward in second gear, the sound appeared for the first time while not in neutral and with the clutch engaged after easing off the gas pedal. "Clack clack clack" as the engine surged before putting the clutch pedal down to stop. My faith in the truck is a bit diminished of late, so I'm hoping the tranny replacement restores my faith and the problem is solved.

9. Sep 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    The TRD sport comes with a front skid plate and smaller plates for the driveshaft depending on what year you have.

10. Sep 3, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Here are three examples, its not a specific dealership, but the general attitude of this geographic area:

My wifes 2008 Honda Fit made a loud metallic rapping sound when started cold. Took to a Honda dealership while under warranty. Left overnight, started the next morning, made the sound, they acknowledged that they heard it, even said it didnt sound too good, but they had no idea what was wrong. Told me that for them to find out would be an extensive process and Id be responsible for any costs if they didnt find the problem, which they added it was unlikely theyd find anything.

2006 VW GTI had very loud squeaking when started cold, took it to two dealerships, both said it was the accessory belt and not to worry about it while handing back the keys. I took it back to the second dealership, brought my tools, had a tech stand beside me while i took the accessory belt off, then started the car. Loud squeaking still there. It was a failed idler bearing for the timing belt (which I knew and was a common issue). They said that only the failed part was covered under warranty, any other parts that typically go along with a timing belt change (water pump, timing belt, etc.) were my responsibility (ok thats fair). The kicker though is that they wanted to charge the same labor amount as a regular timing belt change minus the failed idler replacement (two bolts), even though they have to remove all of the same components and partially lift the engine out of the bay just to get to the failed part.

2006 RC 2.7l Tacoma 4x4 5 speed still under warranty. Took to the dealership because in winter, the colder the temperature, the higher the rpms are on a cold start. Left it overnight, started it, rpms shoot up to 2700-2800 as usual until the air injection pump cuts off about 10-15 seconds later. Tech said they all do that. I asked for proof so we grabbed keys for three other Tacos with 2.7l engine and started them all. None revved above ~1700-1800 rpms on cold start. They said they had no idea why mine was doing this, but that I shouldnt worry about, it wont hurt anything.

Like i said, its just the lazy attitude of most dealerships in this area.

11. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    calvineagle77

calvineagle77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad
    OEM Skid Plate (black), Mudflaps Removed, Plasti-Dipped Emblems 3" Toytec Lift 285/75/16 Duratracs MB 352 Rims TOYOTA tailgate sticker OEM Bed Mat Old-school 4WD sticker Flat black TRD sticker
    Mine does the exact same thing, I just thought it was me driving like crap. My dealership is really great (rare I know). Ill see what they saw about it!

12. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    subbed for outcome… Mine does the same thing.

13. Sep 5, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    TacoTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Picked up the truck this afternoon. After 4 days in a Corolla it was nice to be back up above most of the traffic and in a vehicle with a bumpy suspension again.

Toyota Corporate ordered a whack of tests and diagnosis before the actual tranny was replaced. But in the end ordered the transmission swap. Now I have a brand new transmission.

I was stuck in bumper-bumper traffic on my way home so didn't get a good chance to really listen for the noise. I was told to drive it for a few weeks and if the problem returns, come back.
    So far, in the areas where I always heard the clacking (my own street), nothing but suspension noise. So, hoping it stays that way.
    Back to breaking in a new transmission: Hard to shift into R, really have to pause before switching in to third from second, etc.
    Fingers crossed it is fixed, but then the original transmission never made the clacking sound when I left the lot over a years ago.

I'll keep you up to date on how it goes.

14. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    TugBoatTrash

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Good to hear… I am considering having mine checked out next month when I get off the boat. It is quite loud and sounds like something is loose under the truck. Sounds exactly like you described. It happens when going over bumps and their is no load on the drivetrain or the clutch is depressed. I honestly wasn't too concerned about it until seeing your post. Keep us posted on if it comes back or not. Could honestly be a normal noise, (just slack in the driveline when no load is present) but better safe than sorry. And, the fact that they did something about yours makes me suspicious that it is an actual problem.

15. Sep 8, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    Taco1999

Taco1999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Double cab 4x4 trd
    Tugboattrash,what kind of boat you work on?

16. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    motoxdrmr

motoxdrmr New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I purchased my white 2014 dcsb trd 6-speed with one mile in March (now has 12k miles) and it also makes the same noise you describe. It doesn't always make it in my experience and like you said, only when the clutch is engaged but not giving any gas and going over bumps. I'll be curious to hear If yours comes back again. So far for me it seems normal

17. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    TugBoatTrash

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Ocean going ATB's out of New York.

18. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    what dealership did you go to?
    several of them have mechanics that are on this site

19. Dec 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM
    TacoTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    An update for y'all.

The chatter sound seems to have been corrected with the new transmission. Unfortunately the truck went back two times after to resolve some issues:

1. They failed to tighten the carrier bearing bracket properly. About a week after I had my truck back I slid underneath to check things out and saw the U-shaped bracket that holds the carrier bearing (where the drive shaft sections come together) was hanging down. One bolt was completely missing, and the other was pretty loose. I tightened it up to the frame and took the truck in for a new bolt and the other to be torqued correctly.

2. I developed a leak of transmission fluid and the truck just went back in to get a new gasket. They fixed it pretty quick. The mechanic advised me that seems like the dealer never should have changed the transmission after all. He didn't go into a lot of details, but alas I have the new one and they ain't getting it back.

I'm hoping the problems are solved now, and my confidence in the truck is getting back to normal (it had taken a few plunges with all the back and forth).

20. Dec 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    Normal..it's a truck, not a sports car..it's been talked about on here before.

also, mine has always made a clunk when going over bumps when the clutch is pushed in or i am in neutral. cool that you got a new trans, hopefully they didn't screw anything up in the process.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top